Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2008, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by spettadog View Post
How dare you? Who do you think you are? Talk about being a bully!!!! I'm actually going to report this.

I have said that I am happy to hear other's points of views. I am not ramming my ideas down anybody's throats. I am merely pointing out what is pertinent but you all seem unable to see my point of view!!

Well, I'll just leave you to get on with your hero-worship but will be unsubscribing and report this ganging up technique. You should be ashamed of yourselves!!!!!

Spettadog
Spettadog.
You DID TELL people that YOU were right, you did say that, you cant expect people to just agree with you if they dont.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-02-2008, 04:41 PM
Are we really the ones unwilling to listen to a different point of view
Have you actually read this thread which was doing fine until you came in and started insulting everyone, sorry but you did.
How little you know the people you are insulting because non of us are the hero worshipping kind.
Can you not discuss your point of view in an adult manner without disrespecting an opposing point of view?
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2008, 04:43 PM
Please yourself, you started aggro by saying we were all wrong. Just because you don't agree with any of us who like CM you say we are all wrong. And you have your evidence, well you prove were all wrong, iI can't tell you why each individual who like's Cm's method's why they like him.They just do.

You also say How dare you? well I agree'd with Dawn's post and you must have then thought I was a easy target because you came on being awful rude and very personal yourself now because you found more than one person likeing CM you feel the need to report me well go on Ahead make my day.

And just to make your's I'l leave you to it but I thought you said you would shut up.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

24-02-2008, 05:01 PM
Responding as a post from this thread has been reported.

Spettadog - while we don't allow members to get 'personal', you have to accept that your own post instigated the response.

If you took out the first paragraph from your post I'm sure you would have got a different response altogther.

Of course, you are entitled to say you are dissapointed in others, and insult them by saying you think 'they should know better' - but then, don't complain when you get offended when people respond in kind.

From this post on please get back on topic. Feel free to repost your thoughts/posts without the insults - that's aimed at everyone.

Thread will be cleaned up shortly.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2008, 05:07 PM
Ok thank's Azz. I like CM because he seem's to know just what he is talking about, at 6 o'clock our house is Dog whisperer mad and everyone sit's down to watch.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

24-02-2008, 05:16 PM
My own opinions about Ceser Millan is that, from the few shows I have seen, he seems a bit out-dated and behind the times.

Prong collars, electric shock collars etc

While I am open to the idea of pack hierarchy - I don't like to see dogs 'bullied' (and I think yes, in some instances I have seen some dogs on his show petrified in some scenes!). Of course you _might_ need to get strict on dogs in extreme circumstances, but on the whole for everyday people, no.

The programs also show very little technique - and I have to agree that its more a program of a day in the life of Ceser Millan, than anything else. A bit too self-congratulatory for me.

I much prefer Dog Borstal and the methods they use - although as always I would even question some of those (but hey, we should _always_ question things that don't quite sit right with us).

So, some of the things he does I think are ok (but even then could do with updating), and some I don't (quite a few).
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2008, 05:19 PM
I hate the programme, I don't like what I see on it at all, largely because I don't like the thought of people who have no understanding of what he does, going out and using the methods on poor old Fido who is actually not a bad pooch at all.
As for him???
I think he is a little full of himself, BUT I think, from what you see, his heart is in the right place and I do believe he genuinely cares for the dogs. I just don't like what I see of his methods.

Perhaps I should, from what's been said on here, read one of his books, if it says something different...
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2008, 05:20 PM
I agree with Azz...he said what I was trying to say but much better as usual!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-02-2008, 05:40 PM
I don't take offence that others don't like his methods and that I do. I actually don't care that others find it reprehensible that I have brought my dogs up following his methods and own wonderfully well behaved, well socialized dogs without any issues. I also do not believe for one minute that his way is the only way, or that any other way is the only way either.
I do believe he genuinely cares for the dogs welfare, after all that's what put him in the spotlight in the first place. Before he was famous he was dealing with dogs others were more than happy to condemn.
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-02-2008, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Ok well that's easy too. Discipline doesn't mean punishment, it just means rules, boundaries and limitations.
"Discipline makes you a better person, makes you fit, makes you healthy, and helps you to have a healthy relationship. This doesn't mean I discipline my wifeby telling her when she's done something wrong. Discipline means as part of a couple part of a structure that tells me what my boundaries are. Because I'm disciplined I'm going to live up to my commitment. Discipline helps me stay on target, allows me to stay balanced, to be a respectful human being, an honest human being, someone who wants the best for himself and everything around him. Without discipline you can't be a good role model."
"Discipline is a serious business it exists in every species on the planet. When it comes to the dogs I tell them when to get up, when to eat. and how to interact with each other. I set the rules about where to go and at what pace. When and where to pee, who to chase and who not to chase. etc etc. Discipline is simply the rules that exist for the good of the dogs and for my relationship with them.

It doesn't matter who eats first what matters is that you say when and where it happens. You say how much and only feed when the dog is calm, and if you have more than one you feed the calmest first and the least calm last. Just get her to sit and wait when you give food, don't allow her to dive in and gobble it up before the bowl hits the floor.
Sitting on the floor isn't the big deal either, if you want your dog to sit on the sofa fine, just make sure she knows it's your sofa and she can get on it when you say so, and she has to get off it when you say so. It's all about respect. Don't humanise your dog, they don't think like we do.
What's this peopley stuff you want her to do?
Thanks for this!!

OK - 'peopley stuff' was the wrong expression. Let me try and explain. At one extreme I see the people that treat their dogs as people - at the other extreme I see people that treat their dogs as dogs (perhaps kept outside and not really interracting much with the family). I want to be somewhere in between. I want my dog to be a dog that lives with a family of humans and is an important part of that family. I want it to have character.

Anyway, your explanation is good but I have a couple more questions if you don't mind

I totally get what you're saying about it being OK for the dog to do anything provided you are in charge and you say what goes. I like this!

What I have trouble grasping is at what stage in your puppies development you can switch from 'blanket rules' to letting it do things sometimes and not others? For example, my pup is typically as good as gold when we put her in her crate. At worst she'll wimper for 20 seconds. However, if we respond to that wimpering it will take many days of ignoring 5 minutes of tantrums to undo the damage.

Do you see what I'm getting at? I know I'm not explaing myself very well. But should I have hard and fast rules right now until she's learnt to do as she's told or is it OK to chop and change?
Page 5 of 102 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 55 > Last »