Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 10:57 AM

Would you use dog day care?

as the title says really..

would you use a dog day care, if you could afford to, so that your dog could have company throughout the day and interaction with other dogs?

maybe just a day a week? or more if you needed to? and what sort of prices would you expect to pay?

do you like the idea of them even if you wouldnt use them? if not why not?
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 12:00 PM
I would yes....if lots of 'ifs' were met...
I would want a day care where large and small dogs are seperate. This is because although Axel has progressed really well with little dogs, I'd never leave him unmuzzled with them 'just in case' and would want him to be off muzzled and free with dogs of his size.
I'd want one with plenty of space and staff. I'd like one which has a webcam option so you can see what goes on behind closed doors.
Those are some of my thoughts on the matter In essence, I'd love to know Axel was having fun with other dogs, but in reality I'd be really careful about where that was and how many dogs they had.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 12:55 PM
I dont have dogs who would flourish in a doggy day care environment so for me it would never really be an option (not for this lot anyway).

However, I dont really like the idea of them as I would feel that their carers wouldnt be on the ball as much as I am and perhaps bad habits could creep in or the dogs would get away with stuff they normally dont etc. My other worries would be about behaviour of other dogs and whether the establishment were able to read canine body language and manage situations so that dogs are protected as much as possible from getting into 'situations'.
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-06-2011, 12:59 PM
I don't think doggy day care would take my spawn of hell darling.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 02:04 PM
Selkie goes to kennels now. Individual kennels with walks or some offlead time in the garden. Some paddock play through the day for some playful residents always if the same size if owner has signed this is ok.

Selkie has garden time and oldies okay time if there is another 11+ resident but never with young ones.

I pay £8 per day 8.15am - 5.30 (though I pick her up earlier I always pay for full day.

Currently I do not need to for kismet or pharaoh they are both happy and content at home but if they suffered separation anxiety in the future I would put them in the same place! It is only £15 if mire than one dog share a kennel.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 02:10 PM
I used to offer it as part of my business. Bloody hard work. But would I pack mine off to one? depends. Certainly not any of the muppets around here
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 02:19 PM
I've used doggy day care in the past, but as part of a home boarding service. The guy who takes Molly when I am away also has a doggy day care centre now so last time Molly was staying with him, she went there during the day.

Although I like his home boarding, I am a little unkeen on the doggy day care as he hasn't had it open long and he's not all that efficient at running it! I'm also not keen on the fact that the big dogs and the small dogs are together because he has a lot of young boisterous labs/springers who tend to bounce all over Molly which she doesn't like.

If I was going to send her to day care on a regular basis, I'd definitely be sending her to one that keeps large dogs and small dogs separate, as well as making sure they don't take on too many dogs.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 05:05 PM
interesting reading...

what about if it was done like this)

dogs similar age/energy levels in groups, and rotated through different areas...

crates available for quiet time, if the dog needed to calm down, or was an oldie or young puppy needing a nap...

all dogs are tested before they are allowed in, in the different situations to see how they would be with other dogs, no agressive dogs were allowed....

members of staff had qualifications in animal management, canine first aid, and maybe behaviour and physcology?

you were given a progress report every day of how your dog(s) had done?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 05:18 PM
Not personally no.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-06-2011, 05:27 PM
I'd rather use kennels for the day tbh.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >