View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 11:18 AM
You say this dog has allergies, what are they, who diagnosed them and what treatment, if any, was prescribed?

As for muzzles, I would suggest that you go for the new muzzle marketed by Roger Mugford for this type of dog, much more secure than the Baskerville which he also makes. Either will be useful, however, you may need to take into consideration that this may INCREASE the dog's frustration and thus behaviour issues.

Depends on how it is introduced and whether other changes are made as well.

Sounds as though your dad is overdogged in this particular scenario.
Paley71
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-04-2011, 11:37 AM
Allergies are skin problems, itchy and sore, mainly on her belly...she's been to the vet many times and he just gives her antihistamines every time it flares up.
I also said that better food might make her less hyper (along with the regular walks) and my dad said "she's not hyper"
You can see what I'm up against!
He loves her so much, and she's been a godsend to him during his grief over losing mum so there is just NO WAY he would ever admit he's bitten off more than he can chew.

I must just point out she is a lovely dog, never aggressive towards family or friends..is not food aggressive, proper softie around the kids (apart from the jumping and mouthing) thought I'd better get that in as I seem to have portrayed her as this awful devil dog, which she's not...it's entirely down to the way she's being raised that she has all these issues.

Thanks for the heads up on Wainwrights, will take a look!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 11:46 AM
I am afraid that you will find that the word "hyper" is not a diagnosis and there are very few truly hyperactive dog, in fact I have only met one in 20 years.

And whilst behaviour problems may occur due a reaction to some colourings etc, it is more often due (if food based) to issues with grains and dairy products.

Casomorphine is derived from the digestion of casein (milk protein) and exorphine from the digestion of gluten (found in cereals) These substances, together with hormones, hormone like substances and pheromones are naturally present in many dog foods. All have been scientifically shown to alter normal dog behaviour. Casomorphine and exorphines can trigger behaviour in dogs not unlike giving them morphine or other opiates.

So if you are going to change foods, it may be a good idea to ensure it is grain free.

I have met many dogs who are underexercised and under stimulated mentally but that is different and one man's hyper, is another man's drive.

Usually it is a mismatch of expectations; nothing wrong with the dog, it is just in the wrong environment, move the dog and change nothing else, the "problem" often disappears.

It appears these allergies have not actually been diagnosed and only the symptoms treated.

Dust mites are THE most common problem of allergies in dogs (and humans) and so spraying the house with an appropriate product such as Indorex can help, removing all but essential furnishing and freezing bedding etc.

Adding Fish Body Oils also helps (with Vitamin E).

HTH
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 12:37 PM
I think that until your Father is prepared to admit there IS a problem, you are fighting a losing battle with this one, sadly. I completely and totally sympathize with you, it must be dreadfully difficult seeing all this happen and not be able to get through to your Father about it.

A 70yr old, (fit or not) is far from an ideal owner of a young, excitable (and now unsocialized & potentially dangerous) GSD. TBH, I am astonished at any breeder allowing their pup to go into such a mis-matched home. I am certain he had the very best of intentions, but clearly this dog is totally different to his last, which I assume was years ago? Please don't think I am breed-discriminating here, GSD's were my first big-love and have owned them myself in the past before Rotties.

Aside from trying to teach and train her yourself, which may help a little - unless your Father backs up your training it will become ineffectual. The very best thing you can do in this situation is to have a real heart-to-heart with him and try your best to persuade him to let her be re-homed into a much more suitable environment.

I hope this happens, because otherwise the outlook is really quite ominous
Paley71
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-04-2011, 01:46 PM
I agree with both the above posts, it's not the dog that' s the problem...it's the owner.
I've told him he should have rescued a lazy Greyhound...or something much smaller/less energretic.

However, how would I ever convince him to give her up when he doesn't even recognise that there's even a hint of a problem??

I think the behaviourist/trainer idea is the way forward...they might be able to make him listen to a few home truths.
He won't listen to me and thinks I've just turned against her because of our own dog...who is very well behaved (not down to me, just luck) and I'm behaving like an overprotective mother, and that I'm talking a load of new age mumbo jumbo re training/behaviour.

Thanks for the diet advice Smokeybear, will look into it.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 02:52 PM
What's that saying about a prophet never being believed in their own country? a bit like your dad not listeing to you!

I totally agree therefore that he needs the advice of a good, reputable professional to help with this.

Make sure they use modern techniques and are also good with people!

Wys
x
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 03:04 PM
I use a Baskerville muzzle for my GSD and it's pretty sturdy
The bars on the top of ours have snapped somehow. Dunno how unless his rolling is what's done it, he doesn't attempt to get the muzzle off at all so it's not him pawing at it. Rest of it is still absolutely fine though and I'd agree that they're pretty sturdy. Just don't trust the Pets at Home staff to fit them for you, the one they wanted me to get for Rupert wouldn't have allowed him to open his mouth!

the new muzzle marketed by Roger Mugford for this type of dog
Any idea what they're called SB? The only ones I've managed to find through google are the Baskerville ones.
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
The bars on the top of ours have snapped somehow. Dunno how unless his rolling is what's done it, he doesn't attempt to get the muzzle off at all so it's not him pawing at it. Rest of it is still absolutely fine though and I'd agree that they're pretty sturdy. Just don't trust the Pets at Home staff to fit them for you, the one they wanted me to get for Rupert wouldn't have allowed him to open his mouth!

Any idea what they're called SB? The only ones I've managed to find through google are the Baskerville ones.
it's called a Baskerville Ultra muzzle. the bars are differently spaced so they are easier to treat through the muzzle and they have a strap from the top of the muzzle over the dog's head to the strap behind the ears, (like the Baskerville Rott muzzles have always had). This makes them more secure as dogs cannot so easily lever them off their noses.

http://www.companyofanimals.co.uk/pr...e-ultra-muzzle
Paley71
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-04-2011, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by Tass View Post
it's called a Baskerville Ultra muzzle. the bars are differently spaced so they are easier to treat through the muzzle and they have a strap from the top of the muzzle over the dog's head to the strap behind the ears, (like the Baskerville Rott muzzles have always had). This makes them more secure as dogs cannot so easily lever them off their noses.

http://www.companyofanimals.co.uk/pr...e-ultra-muzzle
Can't help thinking about 'The Silence Of The Lambs' when looking at some of these muzzles
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2011, 07:58 AM
Originally Posted by Paley71 View Post
I agree with both the above posts, it's not the dog that' s the problem...it's the owner.
I've told him he should have rescued a lazy Greyhound...or something much smaller/less energretic.

However, how would I ever convince him to give her up when he doesn't even recognise that there's even a hint of a problem??
I suspect deep-down he does know there is a problem, but doesn't want to accept there is one - probably because he loves her and isn't wanting to let her go. Perhaps, with that in mind it might be a way of starting a conversation about her without him putting barriers up automatically in a defensive way?

A good professional trainer could help, but only if your Father is prepared to fully be on-board and implement all the methods they recommend, as I am sure the trainer themselves would agree. Until he accepts the problems she has though, it would be futile - as with all problems acknowledging there is a problem is the first step to change.

I hope he does see sense, I feel for both you and his dog on this one, it's very sad. Total credit to you for trying your best despite your efforts being thrown back at you xx
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >