Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 12:49 PM

Obssesive collie behaviour

Just went to let a friends dog out to play in their garden today

Noticed a big trench in the garden running in in circle right round the lawn - about 1/2 foot deep

then found out where it came from

after going to the loo and saying hello to me she just ran around the circle the whole time I was there

kinda freaked me out a bit

She has plenty of walks, is well cared for and has doggy company

Personaly I would be thinking of breaking this habbit if she was mine
What does everyone think? SHe is a fairly timid dog and I noticed she ran faster when I was playing with the other dog
Is it likely to be stress, bordom, habit? and if she was yours would you let her have her garden treadmill?
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-04-2011, 01:54 PM
simply sounds like a collie that NEEDS a job, which means more than just regular walking im afraid, how sad
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 03:02 PM
Yeah I know
Shes a collie cross jrt but alot more full on than my two
They used to do classes and stuff with her too but she has always been a circler
On walks she spins on the spot alot too

Was really odd to watch, bit of an obsession
Actually now I think about it lots of dogs round here have obsessions, chasing light, fence chasing and stuff
Guess it says quite alot about the quality of life for many pet dogs

- not that I think this girl is in any way badly treated or anything, she is fairly well stimulated compared to most dogs, guess she has a strong work ethic and it has come out in one obsessive behaviour
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-04-2011, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Yeah I know
Shes a collie cross jrt but alot more full on than my two
They used to do classes and stuff with her too but she has always been a circler
On walks she spins on the spot alot too

Was really odd to watch, bit of an obsession
Actually now I think about it lots of dogs round here have obsessions, chasing light, fence chasing and stuff
Guess it says quite alot about the quality of life for many pet dogs

- not that I think this girl is in any way badly treated or anything, she is fairly well stimulated compared to most dogs, guess she has a strong work ethic and it has come out in one obsessive behaviour
i see this so often and it breaks my heart, poor owners trying their best but it just isnt, and never will be, enough
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 03:36 PM
My Jessie used to circle & spin in the garden when I first got her, she had no idea on how to play with other dogs or toys. Now she belts up the garden just like the others & wrestles with the other dogs. When I got her home she couldn't run in a straight line she ran forwards spinning after the other dogs. The result of being crated & kennelled for the first 15 months of her life. She still has her moments of spinning but only in excitement now.
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-04-2011, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
My Jessie used to circle & spin in the garden when I first got her, she had no idea on how to play with other dogs or toys. Now she belts up the garden just like the others & wrestles with the other dogs. When I got her home she couldn't run in a straight line she ran forwards spinning after the other dogs. The result of being crated & kennelled for the first 15 months of her life. She still has her moments of spinning but only in excitement now.
see many an "excited" spin at flyball very funny when youre running against a team who's first dog does an obligatory spin before entering the lane lol
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 04:29 PM
Can she be distracted while she is running her circuit?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 06:03 PM
It also sounds to me as though she needs a job to do, and that regular walk/play isn't enough.

Perhaps speak to BC Rescue who had this case to deal with ...

http://www.bordercollierescue.org/do...s/Natalia.html

Obviously this is a cruelty case and the behaviour is much more extreme than the dog you are describing, but they may be able to give some advice.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 08:53 PM
there is quite often a genetic component to this. Seen it in a lot of GSDs......... it is not restricted to BCs, no different from say OTT barking that some dogs do, or pacing etc.

Stress, endorphins are released, dog feels better, it becomes and addiction.

It is not always easy to redirect, and the longer it has occurred the greater the likelihood that it will not disappear.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 09:05 PM
What Moobli said.

I was going to say all that, but she beat me to it.

It definately needs a job/jobs to do to occupy its brain, she may need the help of someone who is used to collie behaviour/profffessional though to break this cycle.
Having the two mixes of breeds I would suggest that she gets the help sooner than later too.

I bet there is a smart dog in there trying to get out
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >