Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by Collie Convert View Post
Still not toileted...been 24 hrs now

On the plus side...she has discovered comfort currently sleeping upside down in her crate...i cant wait for the day i can kiss that wrinkly face!!
Bit of a worry about the toiletting but if she's not eaten or drunk much, maybe that's why?

But it's fantastic that she can relax enough to sleep upside down in her crate. I suspect that after living for years in an unnatural & probably very stressful state, sleep, quiet, ability to relax, are the priorities for her. Until she gets proper sleep, she won't be able to consider doing much else. So give her lots of quiet time, perhaps just sit & read near her but don't ask for, or expect too much yet.

If she's very motivated by food, then maybe luring/encouraging her into the garden may persuade her to toilet? But other factors could come into play such as the garden being full of the smells of your other dogs which may put her off "leaving her mark" there? Possibly encouraging her out into a place with less doggy smells?

But, as everyone else has said, go slowly, let her get used to a routine at her own pace. And well done for giving her a caring home & the chance of a normal life
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 01:07 PM
Success!!!!

I was unsure whether to take her for a walk, i didnt want to push her too much, but with her not toileting, I felt i had no choice....and what a good choice it was!

Took her for a short trip in the car with the others to a quiet field and within minutes she had done a HUGE dump and a little wee. I think maybe she is a bit dehydrated hence why only a small tiddle.

We walked around the field and the other 3 occasionally came over and said hello nicely to her and she even broke into a run for a few strides...then laid down
She had a big drink of water when we got back to the car.

She is SO unfit, and it was a shock walking at bassett pace I hope she speeds up a little when she gets fitter!!

She even had a wander around the garden when we got back, and is now sleeping it off in her crate, processing it all no doubt.

EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 02:58 PM
That sounds really promising great news ,
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-04-2011, 04:46 PM
Awww. Bless you. She sounds lovely. I'm sure she'll feel at home very soon.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Oh bless her. I wouldn`t try to get her out for a walk or even make any demands on her till she`s relaxed around you, tbh. It`s a huge change for her.
I`d just keep everything low key and let her come out of her shell in her own time.
Piccies would be nice though. (Although Razzle runs for cover if I point a camera at him so don`t stress her to get them. )
Totally agree, let everything come in its own time on her terms. A walk would be far too much at this point. It may always be far too much.

Just read on---well done! Hope she continues to cope.

Why did you get her?

rune
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Totally agree, let everything come in its own time on her terms. A walk would be far too much at this point. It may always be far too much.

Just read on---well done! Hope she continues to cope.

Why did you get her?

rune
Ive always loved bassetts so when i was told about her and what she had been through and was about to happen if she didnt find a home...well, there was only one thing for it- to bring her home
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 06:32 PM
Yay, she just chose to go out in the garden by herself and didnt a wee for about 3 minutes (yes i timed it!!)
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by Collie Convert View Post
Ive always loved bassetts so when i was told about her and what she had been through and was about to happen if she didnt find a home...well, there was only one thing for it- to bring her home
Sounds like she is doing really well.

So glad she found decent home.

rune
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-04-2011, 08:19 PM
Hope piglet is doing well today xx
Ollies mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-04-2011, 09:52 PM
Only just read your post
Well done for what youve achieved already
Hope Piglet is beginning to realise- even more - that you love her and that life from now on is going to be SO good
Please keep us all updated
Maureen
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >