View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
memylou
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-04-2011, 10:05 AM

1 Year old beagle refusing to poop outside?

Hi guys my beagle was 1 last month and although we have no problem with weeing (she goes on demand at the words 'do your business' in her designated toilet area) she always poops in the same spot in the kitchen. She's so adamant that she holds it in until you put her in there for a mo say to have her dinner then as soon as she's done she poops in her spot, if you get there before she poops and take her out she continues to hold it in until you leave her in the kitchen long enough for her to do it.

She's walked three times a day, 2 30 min walks and 1 hour long walk, 1 of her 30 min walks and her hour long walk are both directly after meal times to try and encourage her to go outside but she still won't do it.

Any tips welcome!

Emma x
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2011, 11:59 AM
Tough case.

Hmmm, is there anything recently that has happened to her whilst she was going to the toilet that has caused her to see the outside world + toileting = vulnerability?

It would have to be something bad unless she is a sensitive soul...

For example - I trapped Louie's tail in the car once by accident and for a month or two afterwards I had to work on his confidence getting in and out of the car.

Maybe something spooked her whilst she was going and she's decided that the kitchen is the safest place to go?

What is she going on? Lino, tiles or carpet? if it is lino or carpet then the solution is easy - move that soiled piece outside and see if she goes then - if not then I'm certain I have no clue...

Sorry not much use - perhaps a behaviourist could help - but not one who uses CM methods or believes the dog is showing dominance over you - as this seems like a sensitive case. And dogs don't dominate humans.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2011, 12:02 PM
I`d give all floors a deep clean and house train her from scratch. Make sure she goes out for a wander several times a day and keep her on a lead in the house. Then she won`t be able to hide it.
Has she been punished for pooping?
memylou
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-04-2011, 12:20 PM
Hi, thanks for replying. She did have a bad experience with another dog while she was out which has left her a bit wary but I can't think wether she was going or not at the time (another dog had a snap at her ) other than that I can't think of anything.

It's laminate floor she's going on, she's never been punished for it I've always just taken her outside then cleaned up, I did put one outside in the hopes she'd realise that this was where it was ok to go but it didn't do any good. I'll get hubby to take up the area where she's going (always in the exact same spot) and put it in her area outside and see if that helps.

We are getting someone in because of the issues with other dogs now anyway so will be asking about this too but thought I'd see if anyone had any advice on here too, it's more frustrating than anything as it's not like it's a big deal to pick it up I just know how intelligent she is and it seems like such a small thing, you know?

I've read not to use ammonia based cleaners but wasn't sure what to use to really get rid of any traces?

Emma x
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2011, 04:01 PM
I use a steam mop and also wipe down with Dettol or similar. (I had an ancient dog who was sometimes incontinent. )
Good luck with the Behaviourist... only if they start telling you to ignore the dog for a fortnight or to throw chains on the floor or that it`s all your fault for not being the Pack Leader...
find another.