Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 04:29 PM

Need your opinion..

Right for the past 2 years we have driven past an outdoor dog training field - it's a bit hard to get to - no road directly to it from the direction we get too.

I went this weekend to have a gander and look at what methods they use and speak to the trainers.

It is a GSD club but all breeds are allowed to train alongside - some very beautiful dogs there.

They train with half checks and I think the lady said "we expect the dog to do as they are told" which fair enough - simple thinking. She said that they don't encourage the use of treats but also said that if you use treats then to bring them - when I told her Louie was clicker and so far whistle on the recall - she said bring it along, train how you normally would but in this environment.

The question is: Does it sound like somewhere I should go - I'm not sure if Louie would cope in an outdoor environment with a lot of noisy dogs and people around - BUT it's probably what he needs - so I have control over him. I'm not sure on the half checks - but as they don't actually choke the dog - then there shouldn't be much to qualm over..

I'm not really sure - have little faith in training classes after the last one. Although I did see the top class training and OMG they had several GSD's and a boxe, a springer and a lab - of whom I met at flyball (didn't know she trained there) and they had them all in a down and stay and walked out of the ring - which was just a field with string attached to posts.. these dogs just stayed there for a good 15 minutes - didn't even move when the trainer whistled the owners to come back. I was blown away! Gives me inspiration - now I just need a dog to work with my inspiration (Only joking I love Louie really)

Hmmm...any thoughts?

They did say I could try it out a few times before I joined as a member, apparently they like you to become a member -so I suppose I could always try it and if I don't enjoy it and Louie doesn't (well he won't he'll wanna play ) then I can always say that it isn't for me..
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 04:45 PM
I don't know - I guess you have to go with your gut feeling. If you are unsure after watching the classes then perhaps it isn't the right environment for you and your dog.

I made the mistake of paying for a 12 week course without going to watch the class and it was a totally unsuitable class for Cherry so am taking Parker who doesn't "need" the training to be honest so is a waste of money.

If you can go along for a few lessons without committing yourself why not do this?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 04:56 PM
Well my view is that you should ALWAYS go along as a spectator before taking a dog, preferably seeing several sessions/trainers to gauge whether or not you can work with them.

They train with half checks and I think the lady said "we expect the dog to do as they are told" which fair enough - simple thinking.

When you say "they" do you mean they require all attendees to use one or that is the norm for them (bearing in mind with GSDs a ruff can impact on using a plain leather collar). If they do not require YOU to use one, there is not a problem is there.

She said that they don't encourage the use of treats but also said that if you use treats then to bring them - when I told her Louie was clicker and so far whistle on the recall - she said bring it along, train how you normally would but in this environment.

Fantastic!

The question is: Does it sound like somewhere I should go -
Only you can tell. So far I cannot see why not.

I'm not sure if Louie would cope in an outdoor environment with a lot of noisy dogs and people around - BUT it's probably what he needs - so I have control over him.

If you never expose a dog to an environment like this he will NEVER be able to cope; again you can take him just to hang around the first time or so. The outside is where you NEED control, you have the best of both worlds, outdoor environment but controlled!

Although I did see the top class training and OMG they had several GSD's and a boxe, a springer and a lab - and they had them all in a down and stay and walked out of the ring - which was just a field with string attached to posts.. these dogs just stayed there for a good 15 minutes - didn't even move when the trainer whistled the owners to come back. I was blown away!

So you can see the training is EFFECTIVE.

I suppose I could always try it and if I don't enjoy it and Louie doesn't (well he won't he'll wanna play ) then I can always say that it isn't for me..

Ah, I see, you have already failed on behalf of your dog before you have even got there!

Better not go then..................
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-03-2011, 04:57 PM
As long as you are not committing yourselves, why not give it a try? If you find it totally unsuitable you needn't stay or go back.

TBH I've not taken Jake to training classes, but I did take Simon. I'm not sure he learnt much, but it did his confidence the world of good.
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 05:00 PM
I have used half checks before now and still own some - do not think they are cruel - I also expect my dogs to do as they are told - I think it's a good expectation to have (although obviously I am sometimes disappointed LOL)

Why do you assume the dogs will be noisy? A good training class is not full of noisy dogs

One of the clubs I am training the pup at IS full of very noisy dogs (who are not coping in a class environment) - I have used it to my benefit - if Pixie will work with me with crazy dogs in the background - then odds are she will behave at home or on a walk or at a show
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by Muddiwarx View Post
I have used half checks before now and still own some - do not think they are cruel - I also expect my dogs to do as they are told - I think it's a good expectation to have (although obviously I am sometimes disappointed LOL)

Why do you assume the dogs will be noisy? A good training class is not full of noisy dogs

One of the clubs I am training the pup at IS full of very noisy dogs (who are not coping in a class environment) - I have used it to my benefit - if Pixie will work with me with crazy dogs in the background - then odds are she will behave at home or on a walk or at a show
Urm - I watched them

I suppose you're right - it's £3 a dog and I don't have to commit straight off - the handlers seem nice and listened too me and my problems and even set me some homework and I don't even train there yet

I will give it a try and let you know. But at best I'd only be able to take him every other week - as Leanne is going to help me with some retrieval work with him. I'll let you know anyway - depends on Louie's pad if we can go this weekend - damn puppy cutting it all the time.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 05:15 PM
I can't recall what your previous experience was, although I do seem to remember it was not very pleasant.

Are there any APDT trainers in your area, as they have guidelines they must follow and can be reported if they do not train kindly

http://www.apdt.co.uk/

I agree, always go first and watch a class, a good trainer will not mind, and would in fact encourage this, knowing they have a savvy client

Re. this one - well, my personal opinion would be that I'd be cautious- saying they expect the dog to do as it's told tends to be what the more traditional trainers say who may use punishment (or they may not, you'd have to find out). If they don't encourage food, how to they get their dogs to Sit,Stay,Recall etc? Just praise? that can work with some breeds (GSDs in particular ) but not all breeds by any stretch of the imagination.

I'd suggest you go and watch, for more than one session if you can, and then make up your mind.

JMO

Wys
x
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I can't recall what your previous experience was, although I do seem to remember it was not very pleasant.

Are there any APDT trainers in your area, as they have guidelines they must follow and can be reported if they do not train kindly

http://www.apdt.co.uk/

I agree, always go first and watch a class, a good trainer will not mind, and would in fact encourage this, knowing they have a savvy client

Re. this one - well, my personal opinion would be that I'd be cautious- saying they expect the dog to do as it's told tends to be what the more traditional trainers say who may use punishment (or they may not, you'd have to find out). If they don't encourage food, how to they get their dogs to Sit,Stay,Recall etc? Just praise? that can work with some breeds (GSDs in particular ) but not all breeds by any stretch of the imagination.

I'd suggest you go and watch, for more than one session if you can, and then make up your mind.

JMO

Wys
x
Well I thought that when she said that about food - but she even said she still uses food with her BC. And someone else chimed in that the best reward was praise and a fuss - I was thinking at the time - you try telling Louie that fuss is better than cheese He is a lab mix so I am very fortunate that he is food orientated.

I'm not going this weekend as Leanne has offered to help me out so I did plan it first.

I didn't see much of punishment other than a firm voice and a correction on the collar - and I use that with my older dogs from time to time (the correction) I didn't see any shouting or e-collars and certainly no water bottles. If a dog got out of place - the owner put them back - this is how I trained Louie's stay.

The only thing I have a problem with is that "stay" means to them, "stay until I come back to you" whereas Louie is trained (albeit needs some work) stay means stay until you are given the "OK" whether I am a few feet away or right next to him. I'm starting to think I trained him all wrong - but it's how Sadie and Benjie are trained and they've never got confused... So may have to work around that one with the trainers..if I decide to stay there.

What I like is that it is an hour or so walk away from my house - so if I don't have access to a car - I can walk him there and he should listen after that - or is it wishful thinking ..
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 05:39 PM
The only thing I have a problem with is that "stay" means to them, "stay until I come back to you" whereas Louie is trained (albeit needs some work) stay means stay until you are given the "OK" whether I am a few feet away or right next to him. I'm starting to think I trained him all wrong

I think you may misunderstand the training.

Sounds to me like they are training for competition, and in Schutzhund, Working Trials, and Obedience etc the exercise is not over until the judge says it is.

The exercise is finished with handlers beside their dogs.

There is no conflict between your "method" and theirs. A dog should carry on doing ANYTHING, be it standing, sitting, lying down, sendaway, heelwork etc until it is either released or given another command. Therefore I am struggling to comprehend why you think your dog may become confused; I think you are focusing on the proximity of owner to dog, rather than what the dog is being asked to do, ie stay in one spot in the required position until and unless told otherwise.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 05:41 PM
oh it dosent sound too bad, def worth a go, if its a nice day weekend after, have a nice day out with him.

If its not to your taste you can always leave.

At least they dont inist on a full check.

I use half checks from time to time, i dont have a problem with them.

If its a friendly club it should be fun!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >