View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 08:55 AM
Was terrified of the dentist as a child after having fillings etc with no local given .
Then when I was 8 a dentist slapped my face .
I have gone to the same dentist for 30 years because he is pain free ! Having moved house recently I have just travelled 300 miles to go to the dentist . Previously I trvelled about 90 miles !
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by Fernsmum View Post
Was terrified of the dentist as a child after having fillings etc with no local given .
Then when I was 8 a dentist slapped my face .
I have gone to the same dentist for 30 years because he is pain free ! Having moved house recently I have just travelled 300 miles to go to the dentist . Previously I trvelled about 90 miles !
Wow! He must be a dishy dentist?
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 05:07 PM
I've got a very very real phobia, not just a dislike, of dentists. Started as a child when I needed a few teeth out because they grew in crowded and he'd never talk to me but always just talked to my mum so I wasn't expecting the extractions - and the horrid mouth of blood afterwards with my mum making me repeatedly swallow it as we walked back to the car.

It's got to the stage where I had toothache for 2 years before cracking and going when the pain got too much in the past (it was at the level of feeling like I had rats gnawing away inside my head when I couldn't take it anymore) - several times, and even now, when I do manage to go (and my teeth are so shot that I'm on 3 monthly checkups anyway) I cry and shake in the chair and have had to be grabbed from running out of the waiting room on a few occasions. Even with going every 3 months - I'm still in pretty much constant pain as I need another 2 teeth extracting and while I can now muster up having a filling down - I can't quite deal with the extraction yet.

I've got to go at the end of this month and the panic and wanting to cancel the appointments is already kicking in now.
Ollies mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-04-2011, 05:35 PM
Well done Sue and Heather-am sending you a BOX of stickers and a LORRY LOAD of lolly pops EACH.
You have both done so well.

Dizzi-my heart goes out to you .My fear-well phobia,started from an experience in childhood which I posted about on here and it has affected me ever since.

I have never had a tooth out without sedation- and I put that down partly to the fact that I cant BEAR the taste of blood-something which you mentioned also-it brings my experience right back to me -even though it was 60 years ago,I can remember it as if it were yesterday.

Can relate to the panic and the wanting to cancel the appointment too.

Good luck for the end of the month -feel free to P.M me if you want to any time -till I read the posts on here Ive never met anyone with a fear of dentists and its good to know you arent alone.
from Maureen

P.S
Heather-quick query, quote (re your visit to the dentist yesterday)
"I wont have to visit the dentist ever again then coz I will just have falsies"
I thought you were going to the dentist get your teeth done?-does your dentist have a sideline supplying "falsies"?
Only messing.

Think Im having another senior moment remembering what "falsies "were when I was a kid-take no notice -Ill go and take my medication-or perhaps have a glass of wine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 10:50 AM
Ollies Mum, that did make me laugh, I should have said false teeth, I don't need the other falsies coz mine are big enough now. I am gutted because I havent been able to wear my new false teeth as my gums would not stop bleeding, I am a bit of a bleeder and the last twice I have bled I have ended up in hospital. So the elation of me having been such a brave girl soon left me. The bleeding didn't stop until 3am. So I now have no teeth in at all and have to wait a few more days before I put them back in. I look so awful I feel like an old witch. Of course my kids and grandkids have been to see me and some are sympathetic and some just say smile and then fall about laughing But hey it can only get better now can't it?
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 06:46 PM
I am going to the dentists for a check-up on April 11th. I actually rung them up the other day to mention I have toothache in one of my back teeth in case I chicken out of mentioning it when I am sitting in that dreadful chair!

On a funny note....question on "The Weakest Link" the other day-"Which poet wrote the poem "I wish I'd looked after me teeth?""

Contestant-"Tennyson"!
Ollies mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-04-2011, 06:56 PM
Silly contestant!-everyone knows it was William Wordsworth-or was it Keats?
Oh another senior moment-will go and get my medication again
Maureen

Seriously Heather - youll soon be able to put your teeth in and then you will resemble that Gods Gift dog "trainer" who has a dazzling smile.Sorry that sounds like an insult-wasnt meant to be one.

Where are you going to put them at night? silly question -it just popped into my head-
Maureen
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by Heather and Zak View Post
Ollies Mum, that did make me laugh, I should have said false teeth, I don't need the other falsies coz mine are big enough now. I am gutted because I havent been able to wear my new false teeth as my gums would not stop bleeding, I am a bit of a bleeder and the last twice I have bled I have ended up in hospital. So the elation of me having been such a brave girl soon left me. The bleeding didn't stop until 3am. So I now have no teeth in at all and have to wait a few more days before I put them back in. I look so awful I feel like an old witch. Of course my kids and grandkids have been to see me and some are sympathetic and some just say smile and then fall about laughing But hey it can only get better now can't it?
OMG bleeding till 3am? You poor thing and I do hope you will be able to show off your new teeth soon, in situ that is I'm banking on mine not bleeding too much after the extractions next Tursday as have to go to office on Friday morning. May have to resort to the brown paper bag over the head I take low dose aspirin every day due to optic nerve stroke two years ago so going to stop that on the Tuesday. Wish it was this time next week
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 07:07 PM
[QUOTE=Ollies mum;2223978]Well done Sue and Heather-am sending you a BOX of stickers and a LORRY LOAD of lolly pops EACH.
You have both done so well.

Thanks Maureen but haven't actually had any treatment yet, just check-up and then measure-up and then next Thursday 7 extractions. Heather has done really well and should be very proud of herself despite the fact that she is a bit gummy at the moment Could only say that Heather as I will be next week, on the top anyway
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by suecurrie View Post
OMG bleeding till 3am? You poor thing and I do hope you will be able to show off your new teeth soon, in situ that is I'm banking on mine not bleeding too much after the extractions next Tursday as have to go to office on Friday morning. May have to resort to the brown paper bag over the head I take low dose aspirin every day due to optic nerve stroke two years ago so going to stop that on the Tuesday. Wish it was this time next week
I think that is a good idea to stop the aspirin. I am sure you will be fine. I didn't want the neighbours laughing at gummy me today so I tried to hang washing out with just one hand and holding a hankerchief over my mouth with my other hand, it took me bleedin ages and the neighbours didn't even come out in their garden. What am I like.
Page 7 of 13 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »