View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 12:23 PM
Yes, me, petrified beyond belief, it's ridiculous! The only thing I have a fear of, really.

In saying that, I go for the routine check ups every 6 months and haven't needed anything done in a few years now, but if and when I do need any work done, I get a sedation in the back of the hand, even for as 'little' as a filling.

The sedation really is fantastic. I've had it twice now and would hope to always be able to have it should I require dental work.

You don't remember a thing and it wears off quickly with no after effects (for me and many others anyway). You remember in the room, then you remember about half way home in the car (with someone else driving, obviously!).

I was referred to this dentist, but it is an NHS dentist though, so free check ups, but everything else obviously has to be paid for.

I haven't looked back!
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
My husband is looking into doing a dentistry course so I may be able to have a very nice friendly dentist sometime in the future!
It would be brilliant to have your husband as the dentist - you could really swear blue murder at him while he was treating you
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 06:43 PM
Well I made it to the check-up although very shaky. Lovely dentist and very calm atmosphere. I have peridontal desease which I knew and some of my top teeth are very iffy. I have to have seven extractions on the top and then a plate,plus some fillings, two further extractions of back teeth on the bottom and several visits to the hygienist. She probably could have saved some of my top teeth but would only have lasted a few years so I said take them out. I already have a plate with three teeth on so whats another seven I am seeing her next Thursday morning for impressions to be taken and then the following Thursday having seven teeth extracted in one go (my choice to have all done in one go) and then more appointments for the rest. Costing an arm and a leg so might have to go on the streets - could earn 50p a night
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 07:07 PM
Well done for being brave!

I'm not scared - I go every 6 months but I don't like going, even though I have a very nice lady dentist.
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 07:45 PM
Well done Sue, that's the first step over with. You are so lucky to have them all out in one go. Because of my health problems I can only have them all out if I wait for my hospital appointment. So I have to have them out 3 at a time which means 3 nerve wrecking visits. But I keep thinking at least in the end I will be able to smile again. I am lucky in that my sons friend is actually making my teeth for me and he said he will make the best ones for me. You never know someone might mistake me for Jordan after.
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by Heather and Zak View Post
Well done Sue, that's the first step over with. You are so lucky to have them all out in one go. Because of my health problems I can only have them all out if I wait for my hospital appointment. So I have to have them out 3 at a time which means 3 nerve wrecking visits. But I keep thinking at least in the end I will be able to smile again. I am lucky in that my sons friend is actually making my teeth for me and he said he will make the best ones for me. You never know someone might mistake me for Jordan after.
I will be thinking of you tomorrow Heather. Like you I am thinking of the end result and it will be nice to to laugh without putting my hand in front of my mouth Sounds like you will have some beautiful teeth and I am sure you will be flashing them at everyone
In a few weeks time we will be smiling at everyone and they will be thinking we are halfwits
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 08:23 PM
Awwww, well done Sue, so glad you kept your promise, and you actually sound quite excited now about your next visit!!! You will never look back now I was like you years ago, and then decided to do the same thing, have some serious dental work done on the fronts, and have all the back ones out which caused me so many problems with abcesses, so much pain, it was better to get rid, and I've been very lucky (touches very large piece of wood!), since having all the work done and the plates, I've kissed goodbye to dental pain. Dave told me to have the lot out after years of seeing me with a swollen face coz of the abcesses, but I like my own fronts thankyou, so I'm keeping those with the crowns. I might even get some Jordan jobs done on those like Heather when these crowns are worn out.

Talking of plates, ask your dentist about the stainless steel as opposed to the plastic coz I find they fit so much tighter, you can still talk with those, whereas the plastic can be a bit loose and clattery !

I hope that dentist gave you a lollipop for being so brave in that horrible chair of his!
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by suecurrie View Post
I will be thinking of you tomorrow Heather. Like you I am thinking of the end result and it will be nice to to laugh without putting my hand in front of my mouth Sounds like you will have some beautiful teeth and I am sure you will be flashing them at everyone
In a few weeks time we will be smiling at everyone and they will be thinking we are halfwits
The problem with me now is that I am usually always smiling and laughing until the front teeth fell out now people ask me am I ok coz I am so quiet. Perhaps I looked like a halfwit then before the teeth fell out.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 09:57 PM
Well done for being brave Sue
I am terrified of the dentist, but I do go every 6 months as I'm scared if something is left untreated it could get worse!
I've had so much work done that there isn't a tooth that hasn't been crowned, bridged or filled....... or so I thought when I went for my check up a few weeks ago & was told I had to have a filling within a filling!!
Luckily before I had time to think he suggested doing it there & then & I agreed.
I don't even know what I'm scared of any more because the injection doesn't hurt & neither does the drill (not like those phnematic ones in the olden days & yet I still physically shake in the chair! he kept stopping to ask if I was ok & to try & get me to relax my mouth, but I just clam up.
I have fainted in the chair before & come around having my notes waving over my head
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2011, 12:03 AM
To answer the question - hell no!

I love the dentist - I love the smell, the fish in the waiting room, the chair and just the dentist - it's all good..
Page 4 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »