Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 10:56 PM
Originally Posted by Shani View Post
Before I got them I did quite a bit of research & it's recomended you use 'New Zealand Whites' as these rabbits grow, mature & breed eficiently.
NZ's and Californians yes, but they are big breeds and require a lot of space...... And they are commercial breeds and only perfom to that degree when kept in commercial rabbitries (a bit like battery farming).

If you were going to keep them ethically and conscientiously you would need huge hutches and a lot of outdoor space for them to have grazing runs.

Actually one of the best breeds for meat (if you were going that way) is the Dutch. They are smaller but have a very good meat-to-bone ratio, and mature fast (they are fully grown at 5 mths). They are also extremely hardy and would thrive in a home-breeding/smallholding situation.

Look out for rabbit books published in the 1940's-60's when many people kept rabbits for meat (they were a huge bonus to the country during the second world war). Then take those ideas, and give them more hutch space to current RSPCA standards, runs outside to graze & enjoy the fresh air, take on board modern rabbit feeding methods (we have come a long way in the last 20 yrs) and it could be possible to raise rabbits for meat in an ethical and compassionate way.

I am still not sure it would produce enough meat for dogs but perhaps in conjunction with chickens and ducks also raised compassionately, it could be done.

You could perhaps befriend anyone who raises poultry and offer to take any they don't need off their hands? I posted a few weeks ago about being given three ducks, it wasn't pleasant to 'dress' them but I did it and still have a lot of duck meat bones & offal in the freezer for the dogs.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

18-03-2011, 12:35 AM
Not thought of it before, but certainly something I would consider doing if I had the land.

If you go for it, let us know how you get on!
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 07:52 AM
I have previously been given some chickens that weren't wanted anymore and a friend necked them for me. I plucked, gutted and cut them up and Teg won't eat them!!!! He would rather go hungry!
Good job they were free.

I don't think I could keep rabbits for food for Teg as I have pet rabbits at home! And knowing how much time they take to look after it wouldn't be worth it.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 08:54 AM
My niece and her husband keep chickens and kill them and eat them. I'm vegetarian but my husband loves his meat and even he said he wouldn't be able to kill them (hypocrite!).
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 09:02 AM
Didn't they ban people breeding or feeding live rats to their snakes?
feeding live to snakes is NOT illegal. So long as there are resaonable grounds for doing so. IE the snake would starve to death if it wasnt fed live. It is illegal however to feed live to spiders/scorpions (Inverts)
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 09:04 AM
I am really really tempted to give it a go. I used to keep buns (and rescue them) and I still have 3 5ft hutches that I never got rid of.v I have read that Dutch are the best for breeding for meat (on rivercottage forum) and Id only be feeding/eating the young, not the adults
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
My niece and her husband keep chickens and kill them and eat them. I'm vegetarian but my husband loves his meat and even he said he wouldn't be able to kill them (hypocrite!).
My OH is just like that then, I had to tell him that the lamb in the restaurant wasn't actually a baby sheep, it was part of a sheep they call lamb - he feels a little less bad about eating one now.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by Shani View Post
I have tryed it.
I aquired some hutches & a dozen rabbits, But it didn't work out. The time cleaning them out, buying hay, bedding & The cost of a sack of rabbit food is around £12. this only lasts about 1 to 2 weeks with a dozen rabbits to feed. I asked a grocer to save me greens for them but sometimes he forgot/I forgot/not enough, etc. consiquently a few died of malnewtricien (sp?)
Not having greens should not result in the death of healthy rabbits, providing the rabbit is getting adequate amount of feed/good quality hay and fresh water.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 02:10 PM
My friend has free range chickens for her eggs. she gives me them when she has too many but i dont like eating them (i eat shop bought and other half has her ones)

bizarre i know but i dont like to eat the eggs because i 'know' the girls who produce them? i eat free range shop eggs but cant face the freebies!?!
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
My OH is just like that then, I had to tell him that the lamb in the restaurant wasn't actually a baby sheep, it was part of a sheep they call lamb - he feels a little less bad about eating one now.
You mean he believed you?!!

My great-niece Abra (5) was with the family in a restaurant and someone had ordered duck. When the food arrived Abra said "You eat duck?" and my niece replied "yes". Abra then took a piece, ate it and said "nice"!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2