register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Dog aggresive dogs on lead
Should be muzzled - end of 68 48.57%
Should have the choice to be unmuzzled 72 51.43%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 16 of 16 « First < 6 13 14 15 16
rosbour
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-10-2012, 09:51 PM
Im a bit both ways, if a dog attacks mine he will fight back but i always worry he cannot defend himself if muzzled, he has been attacked on lead 3 times by other dogs, I also walk him with my other 2 dogs in a rural area early hours and late at night as i just cannot take that chance, plus i think muzzles make a dog more aggresive, end of the day its the recall that counts but once in attack mode difficult to seperate!
Niccie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-10-2012, 11:15 PM
I think if a DA is on a lead and under control it shouldn't have to be muzzled. If an owner lets their dog run up to a dog on a lead then it's them in the wrong.
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2012, 12:22 AM
Originally Posted by Niccie View Post
I think if a DA is on a lead and under control it shouldn't have to be muzzled. If an owner lets their dog run up to a dog on a lead then it's them in the wrong.
If the dog in question is just a bit unsociable and will only grumble or snap then it shouldn't have to be muzzled, but when it's serious aggression I don't think one should take any risks. In real life, like it or not other dogs will sometimes approach you and yours when you're out walking. People make mistakes or are unaware of 'dog walking etiquette', dogs disobey etc. Could be a naive family taking their new puppy out for the first time. If someone has a dog that may seriously take a chunk out of another they have a responsibility to prevent that from happening and a lead isn't protection enough imo.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2012, 08:14 AM
Originally Posted by PB&J View Post
If the dog in question is just a bit unsociable and will only grumble or snap then it shouldn't have to be muzzled, but when it's serious aggression I don't think one should take any risks.
That's my view on it too. I wouldn't muzzle a noise and slobber type dog or one who only fought back if attacked but was otherwise fine but a dog who's going to take chunks out of another dog simply for getting too close I will muzzle.
Niccie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-10-2012, 08:16 AM
Originally Posted by PB&J View Post
I don't think one should take any risks. In real life, like it or not other dogs will sometimes approach you and yours when you're out walking. People make mistakes or are unaware of 'dog walking etiquette', dogs disobey etc. Could be a naive family taking their new puppy out for the first time. If someone has a dog that may seriously take a chunk out of another they have a responsibility to prevent that from happening and a lead isn't protection enough imo.
This is true and in reality if I had a dog like this I would probably use a muzzle - but still in my opinion ALL dogs owners should be aware of 'dog walking etiquette'. There really is no excuse not to have your dog under control around other dogs!
Even without the risk factor, owners who allow their dogs to run up to dogs on leads are extremely rude imo.

If my dog was muzzled I would really worry that one of the dogs running over was DA and my dog couldn't defend itself as well.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2012, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by Niccie View Post
This is true and in reality if I had a dog like this I would probably use a muzzle - but still in my opinion ALL dogs owners should be aware of 'dog walking etiquette'. There really is no excuse not to have your dog under control around other dogs!
Even without the risk factor, owners who allow their dogs to run up to dogs on leads are extremely rude imo.
Even with the best will in the world these things happen from time to time. It's when it's the same dog again and again and again that I really get annoyed. Or when the owner clearly doesn't give a damn.
Allan53
Dogsey Junior
Male 

27-10-2012, 11:35 AM
If I may make a minor point: the way you've worded the question is pretty one-sided. Yes, dangerous dogs should be muzzled, but few people think their dogs are dangerous (I would think?), and those who do are probably ******s who got them for that purpose and don't want to muzzle them anyway.

Just my thoughts.
Page 16 of 16 « First < 6 13 14 15 16