Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
123owlism
New Member!
Female 

27-09-2010, 03:59 PM

Separation from puppy

hi all, we collected our new puppy 'OTIS' on saturday, after weeks researching the right mix of breed to suit our family. He is lovely but today was back at school and work and we had to leave him in a safe room with toys, radio, water etc. He was left for 5 hours but my neighbours have said that he whined and whimpered all day and sounded very distressed! We feel awful, though he is happy now and wreaked no havoc! (wee'd on the paper etc.) We are really worried about attatchment disorder... and our neighbours thinking we are cruel. He has slept well over the week end only whining for a small time then back to sleep with his hot water bottle. Advice would be great! he is 8 weeks
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2010, 04:04 PM
I personally would not leave a puppy - or a young dog - alone for 5 hours on their own. I doubt he will improve. In fact, as he gets older and bolder you may well have more problems.
Can you not find a dog-sitter or let a relative look after him during the day?
123owlism
New Member!
Female 

27-09-2010, 04:32 PM
we will be offering a paid service to our neighbours this evening.
foreverhounds
New Member!
Female 

27-09-2010, 04:46 PM
That's great. Could they do it on a regular basis - even if it's just an hour a day in the middle of the 5 hours To have a good play and poop him out. I really agree with ClaireandDaisy that leaving him alone that long may lead to behaviour issues.
Manyana13
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-09-2010, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by 123owlism View Post
we will be offering a paid service to our neighbours this evening.
Thats a good idea. My dog is now 5 months old and I wouldn't leave her for 5 hours solid on her own. Hope you can sort something out!
123owlism
New Member!
Female 

28-09-2010, 04:08 PM
thank you all for your advice. Our neighbour is coming in on the days when no one will be here for more than 2 hours to let him out and have a play.