Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2010, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by 1cutedog View Post
Lana's crate is a 42" one as she can lie stretched out in it. I am only 5' so it was quite roomy

Lana was in hers for a while today but probably because I was nasty and shut the bedroom door so she couldn't go and lie on her bed but she seems fine with it now that it's not making all the noises.

Aw Bitkin you haven't lived if you haven't been in your dogs crate Hope your plan for tomorrow works.
No, sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind (that was really horrid of you though!!!! ) Watch out for the repercussion of that move, she's planning it now as we speak!

Glad you sorted out the noise, let's hope she'll be happy to spend a bit of time in there, if there's enough room for two of course!!!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2010, 06:49 PM
Well, I tried and tried but there is no way that I can even get through the door, let along sit inside!! I am not exactly tall or fat either

So, Jimmi just had to go in on his own for the first door shutting exercise - left him there for five minutes whilst I sat at the table in his full view. I could feel his beady little eyes boring into me, but he did relax. I let him out, and he was quite happy; thereafter throughout the day I kept throwing treats inside for him to sniff out as he passed by. Then, there he was mid afternoon, curled up inside fast asleep. Thank goodness that he was not completely put off by having the door shut (mind you, I don't think his brain is big enough to process information of any magnitude )

How is Lana doing today lcutedog??
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2010, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Well, I tried and tried but there is no way that I can even get through the door, let along sit inside!! I am not exactly tall or fat either

So, Jimmi just had to go in on his own for the first door shutting exercise - left him there for five minutes whilst I sat at the table in his full view. I could feel his beady little eyes boring into me, but he did relax. I let him out, and he was quite happy; thereafter throughout the day I kept throwing treats inside for him to sniff out as he passed by. Then, there he was mid afternoon, curled up inside fast asleep. Thank goodness that he was not completely put off by having the door shut (mind you, I don't think his brain is big enough to process information of any magnitude )

How is Lana doing today lcutedog??
You two are coming on in leaps and bounds, but it just goes to show, if you take things slowly, and give everything plenty of thought, you get there in the end. Sorry you can't get in yours Bitkin, but it seems you don't need to now!!! What a picture you painted in my mind trying to squeeze yourself in there and go on, admit it, you really DID try!!!!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2010, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
You two are coming on in leaps and bounds, but it just goes to show, if you take things slowly, and give everything plenty of thought, you get there in the end. Sorry you can't get in yours Bitkin, but it seems you don't need to now!!! What a picture you painted in my mind trying to squeeze yourself in there and go on, admit it, you really DID try!!!!
, well I NEARLY did! Common sense eventually prevailed.........I mean, can you imagine me staggering to the phone with the crate wedged on my shoulders and trying to explain things to the fire brigade?? If husband was here, I may have had a go.
It is so surprising isn't it.......far from being put off after having been shut in, Jimmi has spent much of the day in his crate, and is in there now flat out.

I do just worry a little bit.........this crate training is all well and good, but it doesn't address the deep reason behind it all for 1cutedog and myself; i.e. the separation thing. Both Lana and Jimmi seem to be fine on their own, as long as we are somewhere around in the house. Going out and leaving them is another matter, and I think that will be what will take the most time......building up a minute at a time.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2010, 07:59 PM
And that's exactly it...it can be a slow process but it will help. I also found Zylkene capsules very good when Jenny was at her worst. They're very expensive tho. She doesn't need them now tho.
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-05-2010, 09:35 PM
Lana does go into her crate at times during the day but at night prefers her bed. Normally she would lie in her bed at night for a while then go through to her couch, she doesn't go through to her crate as far as I'm aware. I'm tempted to put her bedding in the crate but that would be so very cruel

I've been getting her to sit before going out and making sure I am first out the door, she's getting good at lifting her paws up so I can put her harness on and seems less defiant than she has been lately so that's a good thing. Not sure it's going to help with the seperation anxiety though, but am popping out the door for a few seconds throughout the day.

Had to go to the post office today so walked the couple of miles to the one where we used to stay as I know she's safe(r) out there than the one near me, she barked continuously. I was so stressed out listening to her. On the one hand I hate to hear her barking but on the other if she doesn't bark for 2 seconds I am running out the shop in case someone has stolen her

Great news Bitkin that Jimmi goes in his crate and you can shut the door. I imagine I could probably do that with Lana but as you say it doesn't really help with the seperation anxiety. Lana's away through in the bedroom just now and I am sitting here. She doesn't need to be beside me all the time but going out and leaving her is another thing altogether. Happily my wood filler came today so hopefully I can get the door and surrounds repaired before the landlords ever come near

I've been looking at the thundershirt http://www.thundershirt.com/HowItWorks/ which someone recommended on another thread, sorry I can't remember who, I found parts of the forum last night that I've never noticed before and am wondering if this could help. Maybe when I've got some money, I've spent so much on Lana recently I'm a bit skint now.

Thanks zoe1969 re the Zylkene capsules. Will have a good read about them.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2010, 06:47 PM
You and I have almost identical problems I think 1cutedog.......our dogs are not showing the true SA, in that they are fine as long as we are in or around the house and don't need to follow us everywhere we go. It is when they are left home alone that the problems start.

I am sure that we are going the right way with the crating, but it is not something that can be rushed. In other words, I for one know that I cannot shut Jimmi in his crate tomorrow and go out for an hour. It may be a good month before that can be attempted.

I was a little frustrated today, because Jimmi had settled in his crate, and I had quietly shut the door then sat reading the paper at the table. He had been in there for ten minutes, and I was just about to stroll out of the back door (leaving it open) and stay outside for a few mins, when lo and behold daughter and grandson appeared!! Mad scrabbling by Jimmi at his cage door to be let out to greet them. Grrrrrrrrr Will start again tomorrow
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2010, 11:08 PM
Yes Bitkin it appears our problems are identical. Like you with Jimmi I can be in a different room from Lana for hours and that's no problem it's just when I go out the house that she doesn't like.

Unlike Jimmi though, Lana barely goes into her crate. I'm getting something else for the bottom to make it more comfy although I don't know if that will help. She's been lying on the floorboards instead if I close the bedroom door and she can't get to her bed.

Hope you have better luck tomorrow and no one comes disturbing your training.
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-05-2010, 08:03 AM
I woke up early this morning and Lana wasn't in her bed, went back to sleep and woke up again at 7am and she still wasn't there.

I was so chuffed and excited so got up and went to the livingroom expecting to see her in her crate. Sadly she wasn't, she was on the couch.

Turned round while typing this to check she was in her crate only to find her lying on the couch again.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2010, 07:04 PM
Oh that is so frustrating 1cutedog - she is being very stubborn about it isn't she.

In Jimmi's case he will spend hours in his crate asleep, and sometimes chooses it over his basket and vet bed at night.

So.........we have two dogs both with the same problem; one is not too keen on the crate and the other doesn't mind it at all. However, so far whenever I have shut the door on Jimmi he has sat bolt upright, watching my every movement like a hawk, and I will find out tomorrow what happens when I go outside and shut the door for two minutes.

I suspect that if you did likewise the result would be the same..........panic mode. So whether the dog likes the crate or not, the end result will be the same and the SA still has to be addressed.

I am going to work on that from tomorrow, by shutting him in and going out just for a moment, gradually increasing it each day but staying closeby. Also, during this cooler weather we will take him with us in the car - in his crate - so he will get used to it even more hopefully. My biggest fear is that he will do something to hurt himself, in which case he would never go in there again. I think that it will be flipping ages before we can leave him for real.
Page 5 of 44 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »