Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

30-11-2009, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
As for keeping wild animals as pets, it totally disgusts me, snakes, reptiles, birds etc should life free in their natural habitat & not be confined in glass or wire cages. The only reason for having wildlife in captivity should be to re-establish the species in the wild & not for human voyeurism.
Good job not many people would add Canis Lupus and it's sub species to that list...

Sorry, OT but I had to remark.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by Wire Haired View Post
It's the lassie fantasy. Dogs are the only animals that are always killed.

Yes other animals are sometimes but not always. Every time a dog walker is trampled to death do you think farmers destroy their herds?

Cats kill other animals, including other pets, very regularly but they're excused as it being nature. Just read dog forums when someone's dog is attacked by another dog, most people think it should be destroyed.

While I think it is sometimes right that dogs that kill are put to sleep, I am fed up with "dogs are evil" when if the attack had been by the family cat it would be excused. People expect dogs to be perfect, not to retaliate when in pain and to accept any amount of abuse from their kids.
When did a cat last maul a child to death?

Why are you assuming that the child abused the dog? even if, hypothetically, the child was winding the dog up, is mauling the child to death (I am assuming a sustained attack here) a 'normal' response from a dog? NO!!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 03:51 PM
I'm also guessing that Wire Haired is already a member here but is posting under a new alias...
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 03:53 PM
It's the lassie fantasy. Dogs are the only animals that are always killed.

Yes other animals are sometimes but not always. Every time a dog walker is trampled to death do you think farmers destroy their herds?

Cats kill other animals, including other pets, very regularly but they're excused as it being nature. Just read dog forums when someone's dog is attacked by another dog, most people think it should be destroyed.

While I think it is sometimes right that dogs that kill are put to sleep, I am fed up with "dogs are evil" when if the attack had been by the family cat it would be excused. People expect dogs to be perfect, not to retaliate when in pain and to accept any amount of abuse from their kids.
You will find that every time a wild animal has escaped & killed a human it has been destroyed

Cats(domestic ones that is)do not attack & kill humans, dogs, cattle, etc etc Their natural prey are prey animals-mice, rats, rabbits, birds etc etc etc Cats are nowhere near as domesticated as dogs. It is part of their character to be part wild & why they can live quite happily without human contact, but prefer the easy life when it is available.

As for being the Lassie fantasy What does that mean ?? Lassie is supposed to be able to think like a human, but in reality the dog(as in male dog)playing lassie is being directed off screen by it's owner/trainer, just like all other animals.

You will not find anyone on this forum that thinks dogs are evil-far from it, you will find that nearly all(& more probably all)think it is the owners & not the dogs at fault.

Your original statement stated that dogs have morals & ethics & know right from wrong in other words, they don't they only know actions & consequences, that's how they learn, if they bite another dog too hard it's 99% certain they will get bitten back, this is why so many dogs can live happily in harmony in quite large groups
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

30-11-2009, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Why are you assuming that the child abused the dog? even if, hypothetically, the child was winding the dog up, is mauling the child to death (I am assuming a sustained attack here) a 'normal' response from a dog? NO!!
Good point! Assuming the dog didn't escalate warnings as you'd expect when being provoked then a sustained attack would be very abnormal.

The thing is, what % of 4y/o children would recognise and respond properly to escalating warnings from a dog? How many know how to behave around a dog at all? Not anywhere near enough!
Wire Haired
New Member!
Female 

I said:

While I think it is sometimes right that dogs that kill are put to sleep

Originally Posted by gsdmad View Post
Oh come off it. The dog KILLED a 4 yo child!!!
ANY dog that kills a person should be PTS.
You seriously think that all dogs that kill should be put to sleep? Even if they've killed a rabbit. Even if they killed another dog. Even if they killed a child by pulling them on lead under a car? Even if they killed an adult because they tripped over the dog and banged their head? You think ALL dogs should be put to sleep no matter what or how they kill?
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

I'm also guessing that Wire Haired is already a member here but is posting under a new alias...
Me too perhaps they have had a recent bad experience with their own dogs being attacked ?????
Wire Haired
New Member!
Female 

30-11-2009, 03:56 PM
I haven't assumed the child abused the dog.

I said that people blame the dog and expect it to have morals and ethics if it so much as nips a child after being pulled about.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 03:59 PM
I said:

While I think it is sometimes right that dogs that kill are put to sleep

You seriously think that all dogs that kill should be put to sleep? Even if they've killed a rabbit. Even if they killed another dog. Even if they killed a child by pulling them on lead under a car? Even if they killed an adult because they tripped over the dog and banged their head? You think ALL dogs should be put to sleep no matter what or how they kill?
Are you serious? have you been reading the posts on this thread? I am pretty sure it doesn't need clarifying again. Dogs that kill people IN THE WAY THIS DOG DID should be put to sleep.

Also, why don't you post under your real user name? what do you have to hide?
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by rich c View Post
Good job not many people would add Canis Lupus and it's sub species to that list...

Sorry, OT but I had to remark.
Canis lupus familiaris( the domesticated dog) is not a wild animal par say they are the subspecies of the same root that Canis lupus(the grey wolf)comes from & have been divorced from that same root for over 15,000 years !

Unlike truly wild animals like the Big cats, Elephants, Lizards, etc etc which should not be kept as mankind's play things
Page 7 of 53 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »