Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

01-09-2009, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
and they told me she will be operated on this Thursday, so I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing, leaving it until then? Maybe she's not classed as an urgent case,
Well I'm no doctor but to me it sounds like it's good because they can plan exactly what they are going to do (taking into account her age etc.) and also it will give her time to get over the shock of the fall and build up some strength. I've a feeling she's going to come through this OK H (I am right sometimes you know )
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-09-2009, 01:41 PM
So sorry to hear about your mum hope all goes well for thursday with the op. My OH gran had a fall and broke her arm she was 108 years old and they amazingly operated on it cant believe they had anything to operate on she was so so frail but she came thru the op so im sure your mum will be fine.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2009, 03:24 PM
Thanks Lynn and H, and if I needed any further reassurance Kobebear, well, you can't get better than that can ya Unbelievable!! Now you really HAVE put my mind at rest telling me that!
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2009, 05:42 PM
Hope it's a good sign Aitch. Maybe they'll assess it again on Thursday. Fingers crossed from all of us hun. xxxxx
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2009, 05:54 PM
Big hugs here too.
xxx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2009, 06:37 PM
Thanks Jackie and Lucky

Just got back from a visit, and I noticed on the board it said "theatre Thurs" so this does mean she will definitely have the op on Thursday. There was a lovely old lady opposite and she called me over when she heard me moaning about the fact that mum had no washing things from the care home only clothes! She told me mum had been so very brave last night when they brought her into their ward, she was in agony with her arm, and she said they all felt so terribly sorry for her, and she offered me some of her juices for mum so I took some lemon barley water and gave mum a drink.

Then, the big black male nurse came in, saw me, and said to me "oh, can you make sure she eats something coz she's not eaten and she must eat, so make her eat something"!!!!!! Well, I don't know if he knew who he was actually talking to, but I bit my tongue, and didn't say "oh, excuse me, is it ME who works here or YOU then?"!!!!!!! Instead of that, I said that of course I would, but where's the food then, or does he want me to get something from the shop downstairs, to which he replied they're closed and I was to get a girl in a green uniform coz he's too busy!!!!!!! WELL!!! I found my girl in a green uniform who was being slated off by the receptionist to another nurse that she hadn't done a damn thing all day, so I had her, and she took me to the big wheelie hot cupboard, and tried to palm me off with somebody's half eaten dinner!!! I noticed the mashed potato was half missing, and on looking further into that cupboard I saw all the dirty plates with half eaten meals on it, so of course, I commented on it, and gave it back to her, but she made the excuse that somebody had "pinched" half of the potato - yeah right!!!! I opted for a lentil stew which looked pretty much intact, but mum took one mouthful and said she's eaten enough! Can't blame her there! I also took a pudding, which was the SAME as last night coz I knew mum would eat that, (strange, same pudding as last night then?????Hmmmmmm). Anyways, managed to get a bit of that down her. She had no teeth in either, so no wonder she hadn't bladdy eaten all day!!! I cleaned those and put them in and told her to leave them in overnight and with a bit of luck she might be able to eat her breakfast!!!

FFS, I know they're busy in there, but seeing as how they won't allow me in there until 3pm. how on earth can I help them to get some food into her when the food comes round at mid-day! I might be making a phone call in the morning,or arriving there at 12 am, just like I did back in March, and TELLING them that I am going to feed her some lunch! Grrrrr!

Dave cannot believe that I took it on the chin from that big black nurse coz he knows me very well, but what was the point?! It's mum who's my concern atm, not giving a bit of lip to some a*se who doesn't have the manners to speak to me properly! If ONLY, he had asked me nicely. Tomorrow I will go in there armed with some food of my own, coz theirs is c*ap! Poor mum. I left her happy and in good spirits, and she did laugh when I told her about Kobebear's mil having a similar op at 108, that brought her spirits right up I can tell you! I passed on all your hugs and good wishes to for which she thanks you all. Roll on Thursday I say, I want her out of there and quick before she deteriorates like she always does in hospital. This is not a good ward I'm afraid
Sue L
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2009, 06:59 PM
Oh H poor Mum. Give her a gentle hug from me. I am sure she will be fine after the op.

Sue
lynnb
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-09-2009, 10:56 PM
God H, !!!! you did well not blowing a casket at that nurse, i'm not sure i could have kept my mouth shut.
The food was so bad the last time my dad was in hospital, we either took him down to the cafe or brought food in with us.
One night we took some homemade beef stew in a food flask and crusty bread, plus dish and spoon dad said it was better than cavier, all the other relatives said what a good idea it was. The night after all the other patients on the ward had food brought in my family and friends.
One of the nurses started moaning saying " how are we supposed to check, they are getting a balanced diet" WLH!!! the youngest on the ward was 71,. At that age any food eaten and enjoyed is a plus. grrrrrr some people.
OK Ill get off my soap box now
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-09-2009, 11:05 PM
I hope your mum gets better soon Helena, and is out of the hospital quickly.
I know the NHS nurses are overworked and underpaid, but there is no excuse for bad manners/rudeness.
Could you maybe take her some soup or stews in, in a flask where it will keep warm for a while as you drive to the hospital?
Surely if your mum is not eating the food in the hospital, then the nurses can not turn you away even out of visiting hours, if you are only trying to take some food in for your mum to eat?
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2009, 11:17 PM
Oh Helena I am so sorry to hear your poor mum has had another fall. That ward sounds absolutely dreadful, surely they wont turn you away if you go in to feed her if they have not got the time to make sure your mum is eating properly? I will be thinking of your mum on Thursday, and praying things go well for her. x x x
Page 6 of 13 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »