Dog News

Ofcom rules on BBC's pedigree dog expose

...has received 40 comments (page 2)
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

09-12-2009, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
I don't remember Mrs Barwell's contribution.
Got it now...

She was the one who said that she wouldn't have her dogs scanned and that all dogs scratch.

Reading the untransmitted portion of her interviews I tend to agree with Ofcom that her qualifications (weak though they are) should have been aired.

Small point though that doesn't detract from the message that not enough breeders, even "top" breeders, tested their dogs for syringomyelia.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2009, 08:35 PM
All dogs at Crufts is not all pedigrees....
I do agree on that BUT the fact that the BBC refused to televise Crufts this year didn't uphold that impression.... the BBC's non-screening (as a response to PDE) not only seemed to back up the idea that 'pedigrees are unhealthy' but also did the rest of the dog world a great disservice in its implication that the dog world and Crufts is just for pedigrees alone.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

09-12-2009, 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
I do agree on that BUT the fact that the BBC refused to televise Crufts this year didn't uphold that impression.... the BBC's non-screening (as a response to PDE) not only seemed to back up the idea that 'pedigrees are unhealthy' but also did the rest of the dog world a great disservice in its implication that the dog world and Crufts is just for pedigrees alone.
There is an almost infinite number of implications that we could read into the BBC's dropping of Crufts but the dilemma facing the BBC was how it could continue to host the KC's flagship event and beauty pageant after having revealed the welfare scandal that the KC had presided over.

These days Crufts embodies more than just the pedigree show but it is not possible to cover Crufts without the show, which glorifies a process shown to be putting looks ahead of welfare.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2009, 03:09 AM
I am sorry but I don't feel they were misrepresented, the program was to show the underlying issues that were going on with breeding to win in the ring with little or no regard to healthy breeding, it is like if someone was to do a show on dogs attacking, it is not going to show the owners or breeds in a good light, but highlight the issues. It is then up to the viewer to use their brains and realise it is not all breeds it is not all breeders, it is not all owners, but it is happening and to ignore it is to let it continue, with no questions asked.
Yes a lot of dog owners, or showers may have already known it, but ones who don't own dogs, ones that are new owners, owners that have never shown, etc may not have been aware and instead of them buying dogs from these champions, they will look harder into health testing of the breed as well. It can only improve the thought process of potential dog owners and those who show and might come in below these dogs but know they are responsible and ethically breeding and showing.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-12-2009, 09:15 AM
There is an almost infinite number of implications that we could read into the BBC's dropping of Crufts but the dilemma facing the BBC was how it could continue to host the KC's flagship event and beauty pageant after having revealed the welfare scandal that the KC had presided over.
These days Crufts embodies more than just the pedigree show but it is not possible to cover Crufts without the show, which glorifies a process shown to be putting looks ahead of welfare.
Yet they have now decided to cover the show again next yr funny that, I wonder if their change of heart has anythign to do with ratings and purse strings....

I for one will be sorry to see the BBC and all their preening TV presenters who dont know one end of a dog from the other back on the screen.

Much preferred the coverage this yr with, oh flip, whats his name
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-12-2009, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by Emrad View Post
I am sorry but I don't feel they were misrepresented, the program was to show the underlying issues that were going on with breeding to win in the ring with little or no regard to healthy breeding, it is like if someone was to do a show on dogs attacking, it is not going to show the owners or breeds in a good light, but highlight the issues. It is then up to the viewer to use their brains and realise it is not all breeds it is not all breeders, it is not all owners, but it is happening and to ignore it is to let it continue, with no questions asked.
Yes a lot of dog owners, or showers may have already known it, but ones who don't own dogs, ones that are new owners, owners that have never shown, etc may not have been aware and instead of them buying dogs from these champions, they will look harder into health testing of the breed as well. It can only improve the thought process of potential dog owners and those who show and might come in below these dogs but know they are responsible and ethically breeding and showing.

But the back lash from the programme gave exactly that impression, to the man on the street, all breeds of pedigree and breeders were tarnished by the same brush.

Rescues where inundated with pedigrees in the fall out, (my local one was) byb of cross breeds had a field day in selling pups, with the tag of " pups are healthier than pedigrees) I have had this conversation with some people who should know better, but the ethos of the programme was to rock the pedigree dog world, with no care to to the outcome.

The programme was one sided, to give a balanced account of the pedigree world, they should have for every negative , shown a positive, and educated those who dont know , as to where and how to buy healthy.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2009, 09:49 AM

Can you please get your facts correct:

The BBC did not drop Crufts-They wanted certain breeds denied entry to Crufts(later changed to not being able to compete in the group competition)-Crufts refused & Crufts terminated the BBC contract as the BBC were breaking the terms of that contract.

Instead there was far better coverage(especially of the Obedience)on the Internet & the programs could be saved for future viewing & they showed ALL the Obedience with knowledgeable presenters instead of silly Dr Holm, making all sorts of mistakes

I really do hope that the BBC are never again allowed to have an "exclusive"contract for Crufts, their presentation was the pits & to have an idiot like Ben Fogle's father stating the Labrador cross Poodles are healthier than either of the two pedigree & then Peter Purves announcing that the"breed"was soon to be recognized by the KC really says it all !!!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2009, 09:52 AM
One of the breeds shown was stated to be very unhealthy, however the breeders in that breed actually initiated more than 1 very important health scheme that is now open to all breeds(as well as doing more tests than most breeds-well the breeders of one type do )

The KC did not set up the Hip screening scheme, the GSDL & C of GB did both the original, certificate, breeders letter & fail & the scoring scheme now in operation.

Did the program mention this-no-why because in the words of Jemima Puddleduck on another forum-it wouldn't have made such a sensational program !!!!!!
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

10-12-2009, 10:10 AM
Frankly PDE has been vindicated (again).

Having had 90%+ of the complaints against them judged to be baseless the KC has come across as whinging, weasel-worded whiners.

They haven't come clean on how much they've wasted on legal fees and costs in this failed attempt to wriggle of the hook but it is doubtless a staggering sum - that could have been invested in health programmes.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

10-12-2009, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Yet they have now decided to cover the show again next yr funny that, I wonder if their change of heart has anythign to do with ratings and purse strings....
Are they? Well, that's just speculation. It could equally be that the BBC feel that the KC are, at last, taking serious steps to remedy the failings of previous years.

BTW the BBC gets its funding from the licence fee which is not dependent on Crufts TV ratings

Much preferred the coverage this yr with, oh flip, whats his name
Made an impression, did he?
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top