Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Happy days.

My gran owned a farm and as a small child till 13 when it was sold due to her health I loved it

I used to ride her Shire horses, help in the Veg patch, play in the Barns.....loved the cottage garden at the side, fed the chickens, and we often had rabbit stew.

I'd walk the fields with her to take my Dad and My uncle thier lunch.
My love of Border Collies came from her she had a blind terrier called Titch, who was a brill guarddog and a JRT who was a happy ratter
Numerous cats but one in particular Toots, my first cat Sandy was her son, going home to Mom covered in muck and smelling of goats

Yayyyyyyyyyy lovely days
so did we. I remember being traumatised when I saw two bunnies hanging by their back feet outside the back door early one morning I refused to eat more than a mouthful of the stew and got a severe rollocking off my mum

I also have memories of stealing peas from their pods in the veg patch and my granny not being particularly impressed

And it was great fun to jump in all the hay bales in the big barn (I think we were in trouble a lot of the time we stayed there )

I think we should all see if we can find some old photos from those times I know I have one or two somewhere (of the dogs), so will try and dig them out and see if I can take a photo of a photo.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post
Yes - we definitely didn't have a farm, live near a farm, or to the best of my knowledge know any farmers. Reading some these replies, it seems that I missed out in my youth !

It was a nice tale though - I also remember crying once because my Goldfish had died ! Maybe the make believe was for the best.
That is definitely a nicer tale you were told, than some of my friends who were told their pets had "run away" one day I think it would be kinder to say they had gone to live on a farm, or gone to dog/cat heaven etc.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
so did we. I remember being traumatised when I saw two bunnies hanging by their back feet outside the back door early one morning I refused to eat more than a mouthful of the stew and got a severe rollocking off my mum

I also have memories of stealing peas from their pods in the veg patch and my granny not being particularly impressed

And it was great fun to jump in all the hay bales in the big barn (I think we were in trouble a lot of the time we stayed there )

I think we should all see if we can find some old photos from those times I know I have one or two somewhere (of the dogs), so will try and dig them out and see if I can take a photo of a photo.
Oh! stealing peas.....OMG you have just brought back a lovely memory

Sorry MichaelM I realise now what your thread was all about.

How lucky you were to have such lovely stories told you...unfortunately I never experienced such things, I was brought up to face death in the face very sad really when I think back, if the female cats had too many kittens I was told to pick one, the others are drown, if the chicken stopped laying that one was for the pot
In those days as a child death to me was as simple as living.
Pets were not really heard of they were all workers on the farm if it died I would get ''it stopped breathing so bury it''

How callous things were when I look back now as regards anything that died
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post

I have old photo's no scanner though now....I will try and see if someone can scan them for me
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 09:39 PM
I have no scanner either Steph, but will just try to take a photo of the old photo iyswim.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2