View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-01-2011, 01:07 PM

As a child, did your family know any farmers?

I used to stay with my gran a lot as a child - I vaguely remember her having dogs, and I seem to recall there was a rabbit that I'd take care of at the weekends.

It's very hazy, but I remember her telling me that her Welsh terrier (the one detail I can remember) had gone to live on a farm - the farmer had lots of land and he'd be able to chase rabbits and play all day (can't remember his name).

Another time, she told me that the rabbit had gone to the farm to play with the dog - though maybe things happened the other way round.

It's a nice thought isn't it? Don't know what brought that on. Oh to be a kid again......
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 02:34 PM
My Granddad was a union rep for the agricultural union so we spent many a happy weekend going from farm to farm collecting union dues and visiting the farm workers, seeing the animals and during the week he worked with two cart horses on a nursery so we used to go and see him at lunch time and feed the horses sugar cubes and in the summer ice cream cones.

Thank you for reminding me of those happy days - has put a smile on my face
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 03:26 PM
I assume you mean that is the story your gran used to tell you when her animals had died? I never had the make believe but some of my happiest childhood memories were the summer holidays when my mum took me and my three sisters to rural Southern Ireland to stay on my grandparents farm.

They kept cows and also had dogs, hens, and an old carthorse.

The dogs were the real highlight for me, as there were two sheepdogs, that myself and one of my sisters would pretend were ours and we would spend every waking moment with them, out and about round the farm and the surrounding countryside. I used to cry every time I had to come back home to England and leave them behind.

Another fab memory was having our hands sucked by the very cute calves, helping my gran milk and hunting around the farmyard and various outbuildings looking for eggs (and being very naughty and feeding them to the dogs! )

As I grew up, I always hoped any children I had would have the same sort of idyllic playground in their summer breaks as I did. Unfortunately my grandparents died before I had my son, but as I married a shepherd and now live on a farm, he is fortunate enough to have the ideal (imo) lifestyle all year round.

Some great memories.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 03:27 PM
Happy days.

My gran owned a farm and as a small child till 13 when it was sold due to her health I loved it

I used to ride her Shire horses, help in the Veg patch, play in the Barns.....loved the cottage garden at the side, fed the chickens, and we often had rabbit stew.

I'd walk the fields with her to take my Dad and My uncle thier lunch.
My love of Border Collies came from her she had a blind terrier called Titch, who was a brill guarddog and a JRT who was a happy ratter
Numerous cats but one in particular Toots, my first cat Sandy was her son, going home to Mom covered in muck and smelling of goats

Yayyyyyyyyyy lovely days
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 06:09 PM
My Grandparents lived next door to a farm and i used to love going there to see all the animals. I was always fascinated by the window in the kitchen too that looked into the barn and wished we had one My 'human pal' lived on another farm in the village n we spent our time making mud pies and with the dogs
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 06:16 PM
Oh yes! My family used to go to Cable Bay in Anglesey every summer in a caravan!! The site was on a farm and I loved it there.
It's only about 30 miles away from us but at the time it seemed to take ages to get there!! My mum even used to pack a flask!! Mind you that was before the expressway was built so it did used to take ages!! Especially with my dad towing a rickety old caravan!!
I used to go with my brother to milk the cows with the farmer in the mornings. I loved it there.
I really have fond memories. I even liked the cow poo smell!!
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 06:16 PM
My gt granfather was gamekeeper and tenant farmer on the Huntly Est,and my gt uncle was the local "stallion man" he would take his shire stallion round the local villages to serve the heavyweight mares. there are farmworkers if I go further back ..so thats about as good as it gets
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 06:19 PM
im so jealous of all of you who grew up on farms!! the only farms we had in our village grew tomatoes and lettuces for the supermarkets!!!
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-01-2011, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I assume you mean that is the story your gran used to tell you when her animals had died?
Yes - we definitely didn't have a farm, live near a farm, or to the best of my knowledge know any farmers. Reading some these replies, it seems that I missed out in my youth !

It was a nice tale though - I also remember crying once because my Goldfish had died ! Maybe the make believe was for the best.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I assume you mean that is the story your gran used to tell you when her animals had died?
our story we were told was that Beauty had gone to lie by the pool on a sun lounger drinking cocktails in spain! my grandma had an apartment she used to go to each year there and she would send a postcard from Beauty each year!

It totally made sense....i mean we all knew beauty couldnt write!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >