Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Well Im a total nutter as Im always talking to these.
Mojo answers back too, and we are often very engrossed in a two way conversation, just as well she doesn't understand my every word as I defo don't understand what she's saying.
I often talk to Tess but then Tess is so thick she needs me to talk to her, Im still trying to work out whether its English she understands or whether she has been spoken to in a different language

But they all love it....so I see no harm
I agree with K9Paw.........if you are a nutter then so are the rest of us

Our last dog used to talk back....and some of the time I definitely understood what she was saying! I talk to Jimmi, and he just looks blankly at me, but he does seem to like it.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by k9paw View Post
It would be sad indeed, and saying 'come here you little ba**ar*' if said in a certain tone of voice would mean just the same as 'good dog/boy/girl.
Ooooh, now you've reminded me of something! I once met a woman who had two stunning Irish Setters - litter brothers. She would talk to them in a happy sing-song tone and their eyes would light up and tails wag and happy smiles appeared, but her actual words were: "I'm going to have you put down! Yes I am! I am, I'll have you both put to sleep!"

It sent cold shivers up my spine!

On the general thing about talking to dogs, at the first training classes I ever went to (circa 1982, run by ex-police instructor) we were told to keep talking to our dogs, sing nursery rhymes if necessary, to keep their attention. I'm not sure it does do that, it's probably just like this Larson cartoon:

But there again, a clever dog that knows words will filter out the drivel and just wait for the words it knows to appear. Like...... when your dog is asleep, you can stand in the middle of the room and shout BANANAS! and it won't twitch an eyelid, but whisper "walkies" in sotto voce and the dog's on its feet amd standing at the front door in milliseconds!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by k9paw View Post
Am sorry but have to disagree You're not a total nutter(not to us who understand, any road up ) Mojo is just beautiful'Mighty Mojo' (and all of you)n there is a language without any speech needed x
Your right there about not much speech needed....one thing about Tess she responses really well to hand signals so at least she understands me there
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 10:09 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
I agree with K9Paw.........if you are a nutter then so are the rest of us

Our last dog used to talk back....and some of the time I definitely understood what she was saying! I talk to Jimmi, and he just looks blankly at me, but he does seem to like it.
Mojo sits on the floor infront of me and whines, yaps sings etc., back to me.... it goes something like...

'does your mom love you'....whining, singing and yaps back
'And do you's love your Mom'...whining sings and yaps back

etc etc etc., Pat just sits here laughing

All the time her head is tilting one way then the other she cracks me up
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Mojo sits on the floor infront of me and whines, yaps sings etc., back to me.... it goes something like...

'does your mom love you'....whining, singing and yaps back
'And do you's love your Mom'...whining sings and yaps back

etc etc etc., Pat just sits here laughing

All the time her head is tilting one way then the other she cracks me up
I love it!

Bitz was not quite so loving, but then that was just her.
I would talk away to her as she glared at me from her corner on the sofa, and she would start a soft crooning growl..........it sort of went " yes I do like you, but don't go getting soppy, and don't even THINK about cuddling me or else.........". Funny thing was, if I was unhappy or upset she would talk to me non stop in a totally different "voice" and would cuddle up with her nose jammed into my ear
michelle_m
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-01-2011, 10:53 PM
I dont see an issue with talking to your dogs i talk to each of my dogs on a regular basis
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 09:29 AM
Thankyou for all your replies, the cartoon is very good have cheered me up x
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 12:12 PM
I think the problem is when you start believing they know everything you say to them!

My 86 year old Mum believes Cherry and Parker know every single word she says to them and she is very chatty!

I told her what they actually hear is "BLAH BLAH, Cherry, BLAH BLAH, Parker, BLAH BLAH BLAH" ad infinitum but she is not convinced!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
I think the problem is when you start believing they know everything you say to them!

My 86 year old Mum believes Cherry and Parker know every single word she says to them and she is very chatty!

I told her what they actually hear is "BLAH BLAH, Cherry, BLAH BLAH, Parker, BLAH BLAH BLAH" ad infinitum but she is not convinced!
tis not true Apparently they have a vocabulary of around 150 words and no more, so they do understand a lot of the words you say. I know if I say to Zena, do you want a carrot, her ears prick up and she rushes straight to the fridge! If she comes a pestering when I'm flat out on the recliner, I tell her to go and kiss daddy and over she goes, pins him to the back of the chair and slobbers all over him! Maybe I've just got an exceptionally clever dog here though
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 04:45 PM
I talk a lot to mine but I think things are getting a bit silly as before this afternoons walk caught myself saying out loud:

Right then girls, shall we go?
Better get my coat.
Oh dear, forgot my scarf.
Better put your coat on Jasmine as it's raining.
Need my wellies on.
Lets put your collars on.
Where's my keys?
Right, shall we go?

If they could talk they probably would have said "just shut up and get a move on you sad, silly woman".

During all this chatter they were running around me getting all excited and of course they understood everything I said
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >