Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
The worst think you can do in a fight is to up the violence - to hurt one of the dogs.
Its not a violent device - is like a thick tent peg and you put it in the mouth of the dog who has a hold and when it readjusts the grip it grips the stick not the dog ....

They sound like they are for hitting dogs but they aren't

They are only reccomended for use with bully breeds with super strong jaws and stubburn persistance - an other breed could transfer the bite to the human .... or so the advice goes ....

I can't see any reason to be anti their use in an appropriate situation though really - better than further damage being cause by trying to pull a gripping dog from another
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 09:40 AM
It was a drug dealer with a fighting dog who I saw first use the wheelbarrow method. His dog was latched on mine at the time. So I can vouch for the fact that it works.
Personally, I wouldn`t put my hands anywhere near a dogs` mouth in a fight, with or without a stick.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 09:44 AM
It was a drug dealer with a fighting dog who I saw first use the wheelbarrow method. His dog was latched on mine at the time. So I can vouch for the fact that it works.
Personally, I wouldn`t put my hands anywhere near a dogs` mouth in a fight, with or without a stick.
You were very lucky that the dog did not do a lot of damage.

This would not be the method used by people who work in rescue, (breed specific ) that tends to be two bull breeds.
Dooley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-01-2011, 10:20 AM
not something i`d like to see used on mine i we`re always under the impression they we`re for pit bull terrier dogs , weren`t designed in mind for any other breed of dog , reading through various site`s where these are promoted there are warnings that they are not to be used on any other breed of dog so afraid if any use of these things was attempted on mine afraid i`d have to shove it somewhere i felt appropriate , if you are nervous of walking dogs around others , bull breeds especially , why bother having any dogs in the first place ? , where ever you go , you are always likely to encounter one , i don`t view them as some superior evil breed , in my eyes they are a dog like any other , i have seen other breeds inflict as much damage as any bully breed could do where the use of these things would not even be considered. if you we`re spotted walking round with one , aren`t you likely to be approached by the police if there we`re any police around

''hey missey , erm , what you walking round with that dog fighting paraphernalia for''......''well i`m concerned my dogs might be attacked''.......OMG do you know how ridiculous that sounds
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 01:04 PM
The `grab the hind legs and scoot backwards` is the best way to break up a fight.

That method is great in theory but if they are big strong dogs it's often not possible to use it.

Also this method has to be used really carefully as otherwise the dog's head is still free and it can bite the person holding its legs.

Re STICKS:

Never seen one, but if someone's dog has been badly hurt previously I can well understand their carrying one of these sticks to prevent any future problems.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 03:13 PM
I am - I will admit - a bit scared when I do see bull breeds and their owners (if they are ever present these days - rough area).

Now don't get me wrong I love SBT's and EBT's and the other bull breeds and I do follow the deed not breed but I am biased towards the humans handling them.
Like the other day I was walking Sadie through town - we had to get a TV stand then we were going to get her something from the pet store. And this kid no more than 8 was with his Dad and the kid was holding this gorgeous female SBT - who was slowly dragging the kid towards Sadie - thank god the Dad noticed and took hold, I didn't know whether she was friendly or not but the way the Dad took hold and pulled her into him - it would appear to be the latter.
But it is just the fact that I wouldn't know what to do if ever a bull breed or infact any breed got hold of one of mine (I didn't when that patterdale got hold of Louie) - I mean they playfight with a couple of SBT's and a EBT we know, who are lovely and so friendly, but I wouldn't trust any dog I didn't know - not just bull breeds.

Back to the Sticks - like CAD's GSD - mine would just walk along, heads tilted, teeth firmly in the stick... I've had to teach them that my Dad's walking stick is not a toy!
So a stick would be useless for me and besides they wouldn't be needed if responsible owners (like the Dogsey folk) owned these breeds of dog.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 03:36 PM
An old man once waved his walking stick at my first GSD - who promptly pinched it. She loved sticks.
Yes, I`m with you on this. You threaten ma dog, I smasha you face.
The worst think you can do in a fight is to up the violence - to hurt one of the dogs. They just assume the fight is escalating and fight harder.
The `grab the hind legs and scoot backwards` is the best way to break up a fight.
A breaking stick isn't meant to hurt the dog or threaten the dog. You push it in between the teeth and it helps seperate the jaws.

I have to wonder whether the warning not to use on other breeds is because of the pit bull supposedly originally being bred specifically NOT to turn around and bite a human. Ever. Not even mid fight. I don't think I'd trust to that breeding these days though, not with the sheer number of badly bred ones around.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 03:50 PM
If I had a phobia of other dogs I would not go out anywhere!

If a dog attacks/ed any of my dogs I would do whatever I had to do to protect my dogs. If other owners do not like it, then tough, they should have their dogs under control!

Twice I have had to seriously whack other people’s dogs; as I told the owners at the time, imagine I was a car; if they could not or would not control their dogs and prevent them from coming to harm or causing harm to other people/dogs then they or their dogs must take the consequences.

Threatening me for defending my dogs because of THEIR lack of control is a waste of time!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2