Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luv2kayak
New Member!
Female 

23-12-2017, 07:23 PM

Mixed breed size debate

Hello all!
We had been looking for a pup for a good two years and finally found one. The pup supposedly has a shih tsu mom and an Australian Shepherd dad. We have been debating the size that he's going to grow to. Right now he's just under 3 pounds at 8 weeks (we just got the little fur baby).
He's got a gorgeous mottled spotted coat similar to an Aussie but he's shaped more like a shih tsu and bounces around like one.
We have experience with shit tsus but not Aussies.
Anyone ever have this mixed breed? Any thoughts on size?
I'm thinking he's going to max out around 15 pounds but have no clue. Any Aussie advice would also be greatly appreciated
Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2575.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	5844  
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-12-2017, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by Luv2kayak View Post
Hello all!
We had been looking for a pup for a good two years and finally found one. The pup supposedly has a shih tsu mom and an Australian Shepherd dad. We have been debating the size that he's going to grow to. Right now he's just under 3 pounds at 8 weeks (we just got the little fur baby).
He's got a gorgeous mottled spotted coat similar to an Aussie but he's shaped more like a shih tsu and bounces around like one.
We have experience with shit tsus but not Aussies.
Anyone ever have this mixed breed? Any thoughts on size?
I'm thinking he's going to max out around 15 pounds but have no clue. Any Aussie advice would also be greatly appreciated
Lovely little fellow!
I think you will love him unconditionally if you don't already!
Ours is a rescue and we think mostly collie. He is above the usual weight range at 35kg (77lb). He regularly runs around with a GSD and he is as big, if not bigger.

Most importantly, enjoy your dog. And that he enjoys you.....
Luv2kayak
New Member!
Female 

23-12-2017, 09:49 PM
Oh yeah...he's got our entire family wrapped around his little paw!
He seems to have the chipperness that shih tsus have.
We're just debating how big he's going to get, he's so tiny-teacup size (he can sit in my hand!) but I know Aussies are large dogs. Ironically, he's smaller than my cocker spaniel was when he was his age
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-12-2017, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by Luv2kayak View Post
Oh yeah...he's got our entire family wrapped around his little paw!
He seems to have the chipperness that shih tsus have.
We're just debating how big he's going to get, he's so tiny-teacup size (he can sit in my hand!) but I know Aussies are large dogs. Ironically, he's smaller than my cocker spaniel was when he was his age
That's dogs for you..
I used to be able to weigh myself on the scales, pick Max up, then subtract the difference. Either I'm weaker or he is heavier, muscle and bone............ he is a big strong boy. But oh, so very gentle. The grand girls love him aged 9 and 5.

Hope it works out for you and your family and your little dog gives you the love and pleasure Max gives us.
Bulldogs4Life
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-12-2017, 12:03 AM
Might be 20 some pounds when fully grown.
Jcarpentier
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-12-2017, 07:18 PM
There are charts and formulas on the internet to try to estimate the dog's weight as an adult. Twenty pounds is a good estimate. Good luck!