Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-09-2010, 02:19 PM

BT Vision - anyone got it?

Just had a phone call from BT about BT Vision. Does anyone have this and if so, is it any good?

We're currently on Sky with all the channels except Movies (we subscribe to LoveFilm.com), kids channels and music.

Like the thought of only paying for the films you want to watch, but having looked on the TV Guide on the BT Vision website, doesn't look like there are many programmes that we currently watch.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2010, 02:32 PM
My parents have BT Vision and it suits them very well. It's much cheaper than Sky as you don't pay a monthly subsription. However, you don't get the same amount of channels with Sky for that reason. Not sure if you can opt to pay for some channels now though?

If you've got kids and find that you do watch a lot of the channels on Sky then I'd say stick with it. If you only watch minimal TV then BT Vision might be the way to go?

One thing I really miss with BT is being able to buy movies to watch on TV. Like having Blockbusters in your living room!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2010, 02:34 PM
We dumped Sky for BT Vision about a year ago, and got the film and sport pack....

So far, I've not missed Sky at all! They have an On Demand service, for recent programmes you might have missed, plus a repeat-type service for older stuff. I've only just started watching the first series of 24, can just get an episode when I feel like it.

Film wise, we don't pay for any of the films, as we picked the film service as one of our 2 packs. There is an alright mix of films on - some old, some for kids etc. They've recently had all the Bourne films on, as well as the Ocean's Eleven films.

I suppose it depends what you fancy watching really. OK, so I don't really want to watch the 3rd Series of My Gypsy Wedding (!), but I've managed to watch 24, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and a few other bits and pieces.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2010, 02:37 PM
Just make sure that you can view all of the channels they offer though (although if you can get Sky I guess you should be able to?). My Dad was approached by them and got it and managed to get three or four channels so it was totally pointless. He sent it back and then received an admin fee for £35 for it! You can guess what the reaction was to that - needless to say, BT cancelled the 'admin' fee pretty quick.
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-09-2010, 02:42 PM
We watch channels such as Bravo, Discovery, Living etc, so wouldn't want to miss our programmes on those channels. I'll wait for the info to come through the post and see what it says. Having looked on the community forum on the BT Vision website, there seems to be a lot of problems and error codes, so don't know really.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2010, 02:48 PM
We've never had any issue with our box, and have never had problems recording any programme (or viewing anything either)....
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2010, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by Harry25 View Post
We watch channels such as Bravo, Discovery, Living etc, so wouldn't want to miss our programmes on those channels. I'll wait for the info to come through the post and see what it says. Having looked on the community forum on the BT Vision website, there seems to be a lot of problems and error codes, so don't know really.
I don't think you can get the channels you've listed with BT Vision? My parents certainly don't, but they don't pay any subscription.

My Dad had an issue with the box when it was first installed, but once that problem was ironed out it's been working fine. I think the BT Vision box has a much bigger hard drive than the standard Sky box too.

On the other hand my Sister has been with Sky for many, many years and has had endless problems with her Sky box. It's cost her about £50 in phone calls before they've bothered putting it right this time! And now mine is starting to malfunction after being installed for just over a year! I think it's just luck more than anything with these things tbh.