Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Murftoo
New Member!
Female 

16-03-2018, 03:30 PM

How dogs hear names

A while back, I recall reading that dog names should have hard sounds since they have a hard time distinguishing sibilants.

We're thinking about naming our two new girls Eve and Zoey. But I'm afraid that if you deemphasize the sibilants they'll sound like "EEEEE-ve" and "zo-EEEEEEE" and will basically amount the said hard E sound that will be hard for them to tell apart.

My DH thinks the two names are very different and that I'm nuts. Am I? Thanks for your opinions!
DobieWan Kenobi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-03-2018, 06:08 PM
We had Tippi, Toby and Tiffany. They all knew their names but if you called one, all three would look as the end sounds similar. The other dogs (Tia, Kay, Tizer, Star, Jack) all had different sounding names and never mistook someone else's name for their own.

If the names have similar sounds both will likely look when you call one, but in my experience dogs are smart enough to pick up on the other cues (like where you're looking) and are able to work out which dog you're calling even if the names sound similar. I wouldn't recommend Loki and Pokey but I'm sure Zoey and Eve are fine! They don't really sound similar.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2018, 07:27 PM
The names are definitely different enough for the dogs to distinguish especially as one has two syllables and the other one.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-03-2018, 08:48 PM
I don't think it matters tbh mine all have nicknames as well as their actual names and they still know which one we're talking too. Of course they all look up whatever I say in case treats might be involved.
Bulldogs4Life
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-03-2018, 04:24 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I don't think it matters tbh mine all have nicknames as well as their actual names and they still know which one we're talking too. Of course they all look up whatever I say in case treats might be involved.
Exactly. Not a big deal.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-03-2018, 05:06 PM
I've heard that short names are easier for them to pick up on. Easier to engrave on the dog tag too if you want to although we were advised against doing so - someone could call the dog by name and he might respond.

Max is Maximilian Thunderbolt. He goes by Max.
Our first collie was Rip. The black lab was Black Macdubh
Murftoo
New Member!
Female 

17-03-2018, 06:27 PM
Thanks for all of the responses! Eve and Zoey, it is!
Kyllobernese
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-04-2018, 06:57 PM
My dogs right now are Bonnie, Gypsy, Izzy, Monty, Lucy and Remmy, all ending in "ie" but nobody seems to have any problem knowing who I am talking to.