View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2006, 11:09 AM

Jess been 2 vets, Sick Puppy 2(4th December update)

Jess has a very bad night last night.

For once she ate before bed, a raw chicken wing, she seemed to enjoy it too.

At 4am I was woke by her touching my hand with her nose, so I got up and gave her a stroke, like I always do when she wakes me, yet about 1 minute after she woke me, she began to be sick.

She threw up the chicken, and I cleaned it up, petted her and offered her some fresh water, which she refused.

Since then she woke up being sick another 3 times, I couldnt sleep with worry.

At 9am when the vets opened I rang then and got her an appointment this morning.
I felt terrible, I dont get paid untill wednesday and dont have credit or debit cards, but they assured me its ok to pay then, and I could take her in this morning.

We have just got home now, she has a tempriture and a upset tummy.
She has had antibiotics and must go back to be checked up again tomorrow morning, I am proud though, she was visibly shaking, but she was very brave, even with the injection.

They told me to starve her for 24 hours, im very worried about that because she hasnt ate since about half past 10 last night.

I told the vet I ave her glucose in water, and he says to keep doing that.

Any advice on what I can do to make her not distressed about not eating for 24 hours?

I am so worried.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

04-12-2006, 11:21 AM
I am sure she will be ok for 24 hrs,if she has an upset tummy she probably won't want to eat much anyway,but drinking is important and the glucose will keep her energy up I think MH recommends honey in warm water left to cool.Hope she is feeling better soon.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-12-2006, 12:06 PM
Hi Kye Don't worry about Jess her not eating, if she has a tummy bug she may feel sick and not want to eat anyway.

Like Lynn I always give a little honey dissolved in boiled water to drink but only a tiny abount at a time.

When Jess is back on food I would not give her BARF or raw chicken wings, the best food for a sore tummy is something that is easily digested like porridge made with water and a little honey and live low fat yogurt ,boiled rice with white fish/ (you can buy frozen coley quite cheaply in the supermarket and can boil it in a freezer bag). To begin with give only a small amount of food at a time like a tablespoon every couple of hours,this will not overload the tummy and tends to stay down better, then gradually get back to three regular meals.

Hope Jess is better soon, if she is feeling ill I am sure she would appreciate a hot water bottle (not too hot) wrapped in a towel to lay against
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2006, 12:48 PM
Hi Jess I have another poorly dog right here at the moment, Takoda has also been sick for the last two and a half days now and can't even keep water down.

He doesn't want to eat at all still, but when he does whatever he gets will just be very bland.

He has wanted to drink alot still but I am only allowing him a small amount but frequently, because if I allow him to drink freely he takes to much at one go and out it all comes a few mins later which wont help him to hydrate at all, at least if he has a very small amount each time but can keep it down he wont loose it again and it can go to use (and also give his tummy a rest)

The honey and water idea of mini's is a good one and something I will be giving Kody today.

Hope Jess is better soon

Best wishes.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

04-12-2006, 01:09 PM
Hope Takoda is better soon too.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2006, 01:24 PM
Aww...bless them both, hope they recover soon. It's awful when they're poorly. Big wags and licks from Cassie xx
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

04-12-2006, 01:37 PM
porridge cooked with water is good, add a spoonful of bio-yogurt in with it. It is bland and will make them feel full and the bio yogurt will sort the nasties out. Big cuddles to both invalids.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2006, 02:15 PM
Poor Jess, sorry you've had such a bad night with her again. I know what you mean about the starving bit, and I'm afraid I've been guilty of not sticking to the rules on this one, but you MUST do what your vet says, only I am allowed to go by my gut instinct with my own dog, as when mine gets better she always tells me she's hungry, so I feed her a very small amount of fish or chicken breast, but that's meeeeee, and only if she can hold down water for a while, I'd never feed if she couldn't hold down water. I know you've been worried about her not eating much in the past, and you feel awful, but the whole point of it is, is to give the gut a rest, and that's why they tell you to starve them for 24 hours, it will get rid of anything nasty she may have eaten, although having read your other post I don't think it's down to that with her.

Have you had a good long chat with your vet about what you're feeding her??? Just out of interest, that's all?! I'm really beginning to wonder if it's something you're actually giving her in her food that's causing these problems???? Something that disagrees with her maybe? I strongly suggest you tell the vet everything that you are feeding her if you haven't already done so. All the best, I know how worrying this is for you, but she'll be ok, just do what they say for the time being.

Sorry to hear about Takoda Mys. maybe there's something going around that he's picked up, poor boy.
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2006, 02:24 PM
Im sure she will be okay again after a bit of tummy rest.
I know at a young age you do worry so much.
There must be something in the air as Tikaani was sick early this morning as well.
Hope she's feeling better soon.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2006, 02:37 PM
Thanks for your well wishes for Kody guys This is a first for him as it's the first time he has been proper poorly.

I hope it is just a one off with Tikaani Luz
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »