Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-05-2015, 01:37 AM

Pit Pomeranian????

Today at work a couple came in for a training class. Each had an adult Pomeranian. The girl was a sweetie, the boy had an apparent Napoleon Complex

Anyone who came near he would bark his fluffy little head off at. Now I applaud the owners getting the training they need to stop such behavior.

At one point during a break I walked up to both pups together. Jr. started his BARRKBARRKBARRK and I just smiled at him "Yeah you bad...". He looked a bit befuddled that I wasn't backing off but rather scratching him and the girl behind the ears...You could see his little doggy brain working...hey this feels pretty good, oh there's another stranger BARRKBARRKBARRK

The really funny thing was this dog couldn't have weighed ten pounds. But the bark sounded exactly like Callie when he's worked up. Hackles raised and he's almost frothing but it sounds like BARRKBARRKBARRK. My poor boy, Shaq built with a Mickey Mouse voice.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-05-2015, 09:07 AM
Cookie was a decent sized and nicely built dog, he was a staffy crossed with something big and weighed in at 30kg. But often at the vets if another dog barked at him he would literally squeak back.
He made so many noises and none of them were intimidating. We actually taught him to bark and growl and then tried to teach him the appropriate times to use them such as when someone knocked at the door or something was upsetting him. Never quite got there with correct use of the growl...
It always makes me chuckle when dog's don't seem to match their barks.
manydogz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-05-2015, 10:19 AM
That is typical "little dog complex". Some of my Chi's have it. They simply have no idea how small they are and will bark and growl at a larger dog. My big girl, a lab basset hound mix looks at them like they are nuts. She won't even acknowledge their bad behavior.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-05-2015, 11:03 AM
If a little dog started being aggressive towards Cookie he would either get daft and try to start running around, ignore it or make squeaky noises.
If it was a dog similar size to him or bigger he would get aggressive back.
Typical fear response I guess, faff/flight and fight.
If it was just barking and making a fuss at everything he would just squeak as if joining in the 'fun'.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-05-2015, 04:39 PM
I have to say Callie has a rattling growl that can make your hair stand on end. But yep the bark is more of a squeak.
manydogz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-05-2015, 06:08 PM
Pearl, one of the Chi's, weighs 4 lbs. and has a great huge bark. She sounds like a big mean guard dog. Phoebe, at about 50 lbs., has a tiny bark. Makes me laugh when someone comes in expecting to see a big dog and there's Pearl....up on the couch giving them hell.