View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dogdragoness
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-02-2011, 03:36 PM
I surely hope adam didn't use something like a hot shot (electric cattle prod) on the poor zoo animals, he does know that a vast majority of zoos use clicker & marker training now... right?
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by merryvale View Post
Well now THAT is the million dollar question isn't it? Come on Adam....Tell all the nice people the truth about your training and qualifications. Oh and dont forget to mention your uni stint where you learnt about large/zoo based animal welfare,except you didn't learn a lot did you?

I take it you know Adam, so his background isn't in dog training at all?

I think some wonderful dog trainers have no formal qualifications, but a deep understanding of dogs.
Adam hasn't shown that at all, infact his opinions seem very blinkered, and close minded,so I am wondering where he learnt this. Most trainers, do not use one method for every dog, for every situation, as all dogs are different, and motivated different.
So I am genuinely curious, as to what dog training school,instructors etc, advocate this method for everything. From very basic training , all the way up to alligators avoidance, so I would guess he must of trained at some point in the States too, to give such knowledgeable advice on how to deal with alligators. Otherwise, as a trainer, wouldn't he be opening himself to all sorts of problems, if someone read his advice, and then ended up without their dog.
merryvale
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-02-2011, 04:03 PM
No
Originally Posted by Moonstone View Post
I take it you know Adam, so his background isn't in dog training at all?

I think some wonderful dog trainers have no formal qualifications, but a deep understanding of dogs.
Adam hasn't shown that at all, infact his opinions seem very blinkered, and close minded,so I am wondering where he learnt this. Most trainers, do not use one method for every dog, for every situation, as all dogs are different, and motivated different.
So I am genuinely curious, as to what dog training school,instructors etc, advocate this method for everything. From very basic training , all the way up to alligators avoidance, so I would guess he must of trained at some point in the States too, to give such knowledgeable advice on how to deal with alligators. Otherwise, as a trainer, wouldn't he be opening himself to all sorts of problems, if someone read his advice, and then ended up without their dog.
No Moonstone I do not know Adam personally,however I do know OF him. He has no formal learning in either dog behaviour or dog training and certainly has never been accepted by any of the recognized bodies. And no he has never trained in the states either! As with all Adams knowledge it comes either via the internet or his puppet master.
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

17-02-2011, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
I'd like to know this too. I can't think of a single reason to use it there.
I don't know of anyone that does, I think it was a misinterpretation of a poor quality picture someone posted. The dog had the e collar around its hindquaters with the contact points on top, the collar strap went underneath.

Adam
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by merryvale View Post
No

No Moonstone I do not know Adam personally,however I do know OF him. He has no formal learning in either dog behaviour or dog training and certainly has never been accepted by any of the recognized bodies. And no he has never trained in the states either! As with all Adams knowledge it comes either via the internet or his puppet master.

Thanks very scary that you can set yourself up as a trainer, and charge people money for training them, when you appear to have very little knowledge, plus give advice as a trainer, that people may follow, with disastrous consequences.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 04:14 PM
Thanks very scary that you can set yourself up as a trainer, and charge people money for training them, when you appear to have very little knowledge, plus give advice as a trainer, that people may follow, with disastrous consequences.
That's the thing that really scares me too. ANYONE can call themselves a trainer and dupe people into taking their dog to them. That's why I think it's SO IMPORTANT to study up on dog behavior and training and really vet your potential trainers, go see them in action.

If you don't, you could end up with the Adams or Brad Pattison's of the world injuring and scaring your dogs.
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

17-02-2011, 04:14 PM
If you know so much about me merryvale why are u asking.

Just search the forum for info on my qualifications, I'm not interested in digging it out.

Anyway nice to see that went presented with a viewpoint you lot can't understand you all freakout so much lol.

Adam
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
If you know so much about me merryvale why are u asking.

Just search the forum for info on my qualifications, I'm not interested in digging it out.

Anyway nice to see that went presented with a viewpoint you lot can't understand you all freakout so much lol.

Adam

I am confused, if I was a dog trainer, and someone asked me POLITELY, as I did, "What are your qualifications, in dog training and behaviour?"

I would be very quick to say I have studied this, here, I am qualified to teach this etc.

Not a very good way to deal with the general public Adam, you are providing a service, that you charge for, so people should be able to ask you what are your qualifications

There is no need for rudeness.
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
That's the thing that really scares me too. ANYONE can call themselves a trainer and dupe people into taking their dog to them. That's why I think it's SO IMPORTANT to study up on dog behavior and training and really vet your potential trainers, go see them in action.

If you don't, you could end up with the Adams or Brad Pattison's of the world injuring and scaring your dogs.

Don't get me started on Brad
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 04:20 PM
I am confused, if I was a dog trainer, and someone asked me POLITELY, as I did, "What are your qualifications, in dog training and behaviour?"

I would be very quick to say I have studied this, here, I am qualified to teach this etc.

Not a very good way to deal with the general public Adam, you are providing a service, that you charge for, so people should be able to ask you what are your qualifications

There is no need for rudeness.
Agreed 100%. If someone wants me to teach their kid music and asks my qualifications I'm not going to get into a big snit about it. I'm going to tell them where I studied and what my degrees are, etc.
Page 13 of 38 « First < 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 23 > Last »