Our sister sites
Our sister sites
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2009, 10:52 AM

Do you feed Wild Birds in Your Garden?

And what do you feed them and how eg bird table, loose on floor etc

I feed Dawn Chorus, using the Fruit Mix at the mo. That is for the BT. I also have one of those poles which you stake into the ground, that has a Niger feeder on it and a normal feeder which has sun flower hearts in it. I do not often put fat balls out but do now and again.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2009, 11:00 AM
No. Lennon eats the seed that falls on the ground, and I'm unsure what the consequences might be.....
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2009, 11:32 AM
I have tried for about a year to encourage small garden birds into our garden, but without a huge amount of success. We regularly get pheasant, grouse and patridge LOL! We regularly have a barn owl and buzzards, but because of where we live (on a moor), small birds are few and far between. We do get the occasional chaffinch, tit or robin, but that's about it.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2009, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
No. Lennon eats the seed that falls on the ground, and I'm unsure what the consequences might be.....
A couple of mine have been known to eat the odd seed They (touch wood) have been fine.

Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I have tried for about a year to encourage small garden birds into our garden, but without a huge amount of success. We regularly get pheasant, grouse and patridge LOL! We regularly have a barn owl and buzzards, but because of where we live (on a moor), small birds are few and far between. We do get the occasional chaffinch, tit or robin, but that's about it.
Bet it is fab where you are xxxxxx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2009, 11:52 AM
I only use sunflower hearts coz they love them, all the different species like them whereas the other feeds are more bird specific. Don't put fat balls out at this time of year coz they're dangerous for the young babies. This time of year is the time to get the live mealworms from Wigglyworms website, the birds will flock down for those and collect loads in their beaks to take off for their young, lovely to watch! I found that niger seed a total waste of time and when it rains they just get clagg together! I use a table with a little roof coz it keeps the seed dryer than anything else. The robins like to feed from the ground, and the way the blackbirds splash around in that seed there's always some falling to the ground, but you can buy those little ground feeder trays.

I'm afraid I had to stop for a while coz we were inundated with mice and I didn't want to end up with the rats, so I stopped, but I've just started again. They adore cheap raisins too, especially the blackbirds, and again at this time of year for their young, they will take loads away in their beaks. OH I love the little birdies.

I was lucky enough to have a greater spotted woodpecker pay us a visit last summer, but he never stays long, they're very nervous.

They love those half filled coconut shells of fat with the seeds in too, but not this time of year apparently, so I've been told!
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-05-2009, 12:24 PM
We've tried too for years to get the bird interested and into our garden with no success but this year its hectic in our tree We have blue tits nesting in the box and alsorts visiting everyday. OH built a bird table and hung it off a branch and I bought some wild bird seed which they all argue over.

Its so noisey first thing and the tree's right under my sons bedroom window, I usually wake up to 'For gawd sake Ma shut those bloody birds up'

Tried to get some pics but there too sharp for me

The tree minus birds, they hear the zoom clicking and get on

One of the Blue tits waiting for me to go in.

werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2009, 12:46 PM
Thanks for your posts everyone xx

Annestaff , really glad you presisted and the birds have come , love the pics too xxxx

Helen54, what do you think of dried insects for the birds? I have bought that version of Dawn Chorus seed mix in the past but am not sure how good it is? Albeit dried mealworms are disgusting but I couldn't imagine putting live ones out.......

ref fat balls I never knew that ref the youngsters, I know that they say that about peanuts , (which the birds round here aren't that bothered about, for some reasons, I guess they aren't as good as the other things on offer). Ref Niger, we have never had a prob but we do have alot of GFs and they get through the seed pretty quickly, though I have noticed that sometimes they choose the SFHs over the Niger......
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2009, 12:50 PM
the wild birds where we live get all the leftovers everyday from the avaries

we have alsorts of birds coming in for it, it is lovely to watch
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2009, 01:23 PM
I use the suet with either the worms and insects in or the fruity one!
They are very popular and i have loads of birds which is surprising as my garden is full of cats and dogs!!! But they are obviously hung out of reach !
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2009, 02:52 PM
I have a bird table and use the wildbird food from Wilkinsons or tesco. We get loads of birds in our garden because the dogs keep the cats out. We get mostly sparrows and an extended family of collar-doves who are very tame and come and glare at us if breakfast is late.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >