View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2008, 11:31 AM
[QUOTE=Sarah27;1522073]The collars he uses (prong, chain, half-check etc) are what are provided by the owner of the dog. His collar of choice is a slip lead.

I don't like seeing a prong collar on a dog personally and wouldn't choose to use one myself, but CM only uses them if the owner of the dog was using it in the first place.

QUOTE]

But it is his choice to do that and by using them he is agreeing with their use rather than educating the owners about why they shouldn't be used. We often get dogs coming to classes with choke chains on, a quick word at the begining as to why we don't use them and why they cannot be worn during classes, the dangers of them and benefits of flat colars is all it needs.

If you feel strongly enough about positive methods and confident in your ability and the methods you use then you would not use these collars on dogs because you would be passionate about showing owners what can be done on a flat collar with kind methods.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2008, 12:23 PM
I totally agree catrinsparkles Like I said I would never use a prong collar (or a chain collar) and I don't like the fact that CM uses them. I'm not sure why he doesn't just say 'I like to use a slip lead. I've got one here and that's what we'll use now.'
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2008, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
The collars he uses (prong, chain, half-check etc) are what are provided by the owner of the dog. His collar of choice is a slip lead.

I).
TBF that "illusion" collar thingy is ALOT more than a bog standard slip lead which gun dogs etc wear. Its Cheese cutter thin for a reason
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-10-2008, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
TBF that "illusion" collar thingy is ALOT more than a bog standard slip lead which gun dogs etc wear. Its Cheese cutter thin for a reason
Are you sure you mean the illusion collar because it looks about an inch wide webbing to me
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

31-10-2008, 02:19 PM

sorry the previous one was a cr*p picture
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2008, 02:23 PM
I know he sells illusion collars (his wife designed it I think).

But I haven't seen him use one onhis TV show. He usually has a slip lead from a pound shop (or dollar shop I guess in America ) and I agree they are very thin.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

31-10-2008, 02:25 PM
I know he sells illusion collars (his wife designed it I think).

But I haven't seen him use one onhis TV show. He usually has a slip lead from a pound shop (or dollar shop I guess in America ) and I agree they are very thin.
I agree, he also turns whatever lead they happen to have upside down putting the lead through the handle and creating a slip lead that way.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2008, 02:47 PM
He makes the dog wear it high up on the neck though...so it hurts....
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2008, 02:50 PM
I don't agree that it hurts the dog's neck to have it high up. What bout canny collars? They are worn high on the neck, just under the ears. Are they cruel? I was given oe by dog's trust to use on my foster dog so I don't think it would hurt a dog's neck.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2008, 03:09 PM
I don't agree that it hurts the dog's neck to have it high up. What bout canny collars? They are worn high on the neck, just under the ears. Are they cruel? I was given oe by dog's trust to use on my foster dog so I don't think it would hurt a dog's neck.
I thought a canny collar was a head collar? The closing part is high on the neck, but there is no pressure exerted on it.
PUtting a slip lead, half check or check high on the neck hurts as the dog is more sensitive on that part of the neck, that's why people do it.
Page 4 of 40 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »