View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2008, 07:52 PM

Cesar Milan - The Dog Whisperer (same topic threads merged @ post233)

I have only just started watching The Dog Whisperer on Sky and am so far fairly impressed by Cesar Milan.

What are other's views on his methods. He seems to be a trainer that treats dogs like dogs - and that has to be a good thing
mandydog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-10-2008, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I have only just started watching The Dog Whisperer on Sky and am so far fairly impressed by Cesar Milan.

What are other's views on his methods. He seems to be a trainer that treats dogs like dogs - and that has to be a good thing
There is a very recent post on this.

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=84565
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2008, 09:12 PM
I'm sorry - i think he is a bully in the majority of things he does.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2008, 09:15 PM
Not impressed -

I often have to deal with people who have watched and tried his methods....one GSD who recently had to be pts as a result of being pinned down because 'they watched it on the TV'..

Sorry - can't stand the man.
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2008, 09:27 PM
Not for me I'm afraid,xxxxxxxx
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-10-2008, 09:49 PM
Some aspects of what he does are very interesting, and techniques that we've used with Ella very well.

However, I've also seen lots of things that have horrified me such as when a young dog attempted to climb onto a sofa, and he yanked it off by pulling on it's lead... attached to the dog's collar. The poor dog's head jerked back horribly and no one gave it a second glance.
I've also seen him pin some dogs who seem to be incredibly neurotic and the pinning sems to just freak them out. It appears that sometimes he's so eager to get results for the show, that he forgets to read the dog's body language altogether

So, yes, good points and bad points. I think, as with anything else, training methods should be used under consultation with a trainer who knows the dog, unless you are both competent and confident in their uses. Always take TV instruction with a pinch of salt
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2008, 10:30 PM
Although I did watch his show, I really didn't like the sly use of the prong collar on nervous dogs - especially the coonhound. He never actually advocated it in that instance, but it was there - and the dog was terrified. He also yanks the dogs around with them on - not a way I would train. If his 'calm submissive energy' works so well, why does he need to yank dogs around and correct them constantly? It doesn't add up.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2008, 10:34 PM
Can't stand him. Soapbox - big time. Hate the programme.

I think he's a bully and wouldn't let him within 10 feet of my dogs.

Bearing in mind the American Humane Association have tried to get the show taken off air, various names in dog training and behaviour including Pat Miller and Jean Donaldson (would reel off more if I wasn't so tired and brain dead) have condemned the show and a dog has been killed whilst in his care after having been put on a treadmill wearing a choke chain and flooded with his greatest fear, I think I shall stick to what I'm doing, the books I'm reading and not waste any more of my life on him (unless of course it's someone asking me if I would recommend they watch his show - in which case I'll give them plenty of time to explain why not!).

Sorry! Soapbox!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2008, 11:22 PM
agree with everyone
he is learning and occasionaly uses more positive methods
but
he reads dogs v wrong, puts them in situations where they will fail so he can correct them and look good on tv and his missguided obsession with all dogs being dom and trying to take over the world if you dont bully them is making dogs agressive

i would save my money on books because the advice on this forum is much better
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-10-2008, 11:57 PM
Don't really watch the programmes much but the books are really good. There have been so many really long threads on the subject. I like him.
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »