register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: What is the better product?
Headcollar 12 48.00%
Harness 4 16.00%
Other 9 36.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 8 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2008, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
I said "the sound of the chain works in the same manner as a clicker". I did not say that it was used in the same manner.

A clicker is positive reinforcement, a chain is negative reinforcement. They are different, they don't work in the same manner - they are opposites.
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-06-2008, 05:02 PM
Here's the video's of Shadow, these are without us correcting him anyway at all just to show his behaviour.
Him street walking
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHAWz0LoLo8

and entering the park

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZNcYBNFdyI
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2008, 06:54 PM
Bless him, he just looks excited! I don't think it'll be too hard for you to get him to walk nicely. Maybe because he's so young the whole world is new to him and he wants to explore it

Stick with the training classes and I'm sure you'll get there eventually.

How did you find it with the harness?
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2008, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by **Leanne** View Post
Here's the video's of Shadow, these are without us correcting him anyway at all just to show his behaviour.
Him street walking

and entering the park

Have to be honest Leanne......he walks alot better than Bruce did at his age, Bruce used to rip the lead into my hands and walked constantly on his ''back legs'''
The park one, I think looks like 'real' excitment at being in the park.
I think he'll soon walk to heal with your training classes....honestly.
I wish I'd of done a video of Bruce ....you would of been shocked...he used to be like a steam train and screamed because he couldn't race off....Now he's really really good. Shadow has real protential IMO
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2008, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
I thought the same Patch
May I add something here, (and this is not a criticism of Leanne or anyone else ) Leanne posted very recently...
http://www.dogsey.com/showpost.php?p=1393477&postcount=13

http://www.dogsey.com/showpost.php?p=1390637&postcount=19
Leanne Is this the same puppy ? If the halti was working wonders a few days ago what is the problem now, what does you trainer say at the class you are presumably paying to attend ?

Leanne is going to classes with a trainer and presumably being advised there, she has it would seem PMd Steve for advice also . It is of course Leannes privilege to seek advice from whomsoever she chooses. By all means everyone seek advice and get as many opinions as possible, but I think it is best to pick one method and stick to it so that at least it has a chance to work and the puppy doesn't get totally confused.
Also by chopping and changing the impression is given that one method doesn't work. There are no quick fixes in training, methods of training only work if given a little time, patience and consistency.

As I said this should not be taken as criticism of anyone

Ahhhhhhhhhh I did wonder.
I agree with Mini, stick with one method and ensure you are happy with it. Take things in a slow and steady manner, don't do too much with your pup at once, I just read the other thread. I would try to master one thing at a time, not rush into doing lots of things at once.
I understand more now.....
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2008, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by **Leanne** View Post
Him street walking

and entering the park

Hi Leanne, I don`t have my contacts in so I`m struggling a bit to see the harness against Shadows coat, but is it a figure 8 type from Pets At Home or similar, with two rings on the back to clip the lead too, and the dog has to step into it ?
If it is that type, [ again, my apologies, I`m blind as a bat without contacts in ], they are not configured very well ime, they do enable a dog to get their shoulders into them and to get their body weight behind them to forge forward - this is where harness type makes so much difference.
From what I can see, [ which is not a lot with nekkid eyes , the front straps are too in-line with the shoulders and slope too much toward where the lead attaches.
If its not the figure 8 type, what`s the adjustment on that one, [ figure 8 are useless for adjusting the fit ].

Could you possibly confirm the type or maybe take some clear stills shots of side, front and top view so I can see if tweaks will help ?
If its the sort I think it is though, I would`nt use it for a puller to be honest, the centre of balance is all wrong and the overall fit does nothing to help - I have tried them to test them fairly fwiw.

I will be putting my lenses in tomorrow though so that should help [ they are the sort I can sleep in but the eyes have to have lens-less rest days and today is one of them ]
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-06-2008, 09:06 PM
Hi Patch, dont worry you cant really see the harness as it's black lol. It is a figure of 8 harness but was only used as a temp thing to stop him choking from his collar until I replaced the broken halti or get something better....
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-06-2008, 11:25 PM
I voted other. My reason for this is that training a dog takes time , patience , consistency and understanding why the dog is doing what it does. Some methods work for some dogs but not for others , so it is a case of trying different things to find out what works best for your dog. My dog pulls badly on a flat collar. She is so bad that she chokes herself and her throat gets swollen. Also , most flat collars readily available in her size , 16 inch, tend to be too narrow so put more pressure on a smaller surface area. She walks much better in a nylon half check which is 1 inch wide. She does sometimes still pull , but a quick tug ( don't shoot me down in flames please , I don't mean a yank.) causes the chain part to give a quick squeeze and release action which stops her from leaning into the collar to pull. I have tried changing direction and stopping/starting with her but it makes no difference to the pulling. With the nylon half check , she does not choke and her throat does not get swollen. I also sometimes walk her in a harness. I have a " Stop Pull" harness which crosses over the chest and goes between the front legs , up the sides and joins on the back with a metal ring. This harness works by squeezing tighter round the dog if it pulls , and releasing the pressure when the dog stops pulling. It didn't take her long to stop pulling in this harness. I have also used it in combination with the half check collar. A tiny short lead ( just a handle with a clip) on the harness which kept her close by my side , and a longer lead on the collar. This allowed me to keep her in the right position by my side , while teaching her to walk on a light contact on the collar and lead. I stuck with each method for several weeks to make sure my dog understood what I wanted , and I sometimes switch between collar or harness if ,for example , she starts to get strong on the collar. These methods have worked very well with my dog , bearing in mind how bad she was when I rehomed her.; I also make sure she has enough exercise , both physical and mental , every day. She is being walked an hour daily ( she was spayed 4 weeks ago) by a dog walker just now as I have just had back surgery , and in the house , we do some clicker games and I " work" her by asking her to find and fetch various objects around the house. This also has a significant effect on whether she pulls or not when out.
Page 8 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8