register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: What is the better product?
Headcollar 12 48.00%
Harness 4 16.00%
Other 9 36.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 6 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2008, 11:10 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
It's a thing we've really noticed with having Cosmo. The last few pups we've had have had to be trained to walk with a light amount of tension in the lead. Now THAT is hard to train a pup to do, walk with a bit of tension in the lead, not pulling, not a loose lead, just the right amount of tension. Having Cosmo now and deciding we wanted him just on a loose lead...well it's been a bit of a breeze to train, he ain't perfect and never will be don't get me wrong, but we don't care, we love him to bits!
It is all down to expectations and consistency..do you want a dog right at your side not moving away at all, or a relaxed dog on a relaxed lead. Decide what you want and be consistent and it will pay off in the end.
I agree, ......... now when did you say you coming over to sort mine out ??
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2008, 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
I agree, ......... now when did you say you coming over to sort mine out ??

You don't need me!
Mind you if there were jaffa cakes.....
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2008, 11:27 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post

You don't need me!
Mind you if there were jaffa cakes.....
Oh don't, I don't have any in the cupboard at the moment
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-06-2008, 12:10 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
At the risk of getting shot.....well said leanne, I've been reading this post and am shocked about all the arguing, especially when a 'newbie' has asked for help Which personally I think has been over-looked.
Leanne......firstly are you going to training classes.
Secondly....if you don't mind me asking have you had a BC/husky before love....will await your answer hun.
Yes we are going to training class - his trainer is actually a member (sometimes active) we have covered sit,down, stay,wait and started some heel work not much yet

I have been around BC's,smooth collies, bearded collies and labs in the past but none were trained for lead work as they were always off leads as they were farm/working dogs - give me some sheep and a collie and I'll have them working them in 1/2 hour so his training is harder for me to do!! - if you get what I mean
But never had experience with huskies and he's showing traits of the husky in him as I've read they 'charge' when pulling sleds and our little man doesn't half charge when walking, by this I mean the ears go right back and nothing will stop him and even tho he barks, he loves to whine and moan both off and on lead! I'm actually tempted to put a video up to show members what he's like!!
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-06-2008, 01:15 AM
Personally I do all my training with my lot wearing a flat leather/chain half choke.

The good thing about having the chain part is that you can reinforce your command of heel with a quick pull on the lead and the sound of the chain works in the same manner as a clicker.
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-06-2008, 01:26 AM
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
Personally I do all my training with my lot wearing a flat leather/chain half choke.

The good thing about having the chain part is that you can reinforce your command of heel with a quick pull on the lead and the sound of the chain works in the same manner as a clicker.
I disagree with this statement... You sound the clicker, when the dog is in the right position.. The sound of the chain is when the dog is in the wrong position.

Cheers

Lene
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2008, 01:56 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
At the risk of getting shot.....well said leanne, I've been reading this post and am shocked about all the arguing, especially when a 'newbie' has asked for help Which personally I think has been over-looked.

The opening post did`nt ask for advice, I thought it was just a poll to see what peoples general preferences were on product types for pullers
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-06-2008, 03:23 AM
I've voted "Halti head collar", because that's what worked for me with both the TZBCs.

I got fed up of being hauled round Kirkwall by Kali (bent double), and had a "Right, you wee b*gg*r, if it's war you want, it's war you're gonna get - come and meet the secret weapon!" moment.

Kali got his first, which made a great improvement, until Snorri got the erroneous impression that I was slowing Kali down so that he (Snorri) could steam along in front. So, another trip to the petshop, and "Abracadabra!" - two quiet, co-operative collies.

It's only very, very rarely that the TZBCs need their Haltis now, they will walk obediently on plain flat collars and metre-long leads. Basically, they don't even need these, but I like the local farmers to SEE that the dogs are under physical control.

Snorri
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2008, 06:36 AM
Originally Posted by **Leanne** View Post
Yes we are going to training class - his trainer is actually a member (sometimes active) we have covered sit,down, stay,wait and started some heel work not much yet

I have been around BC's,smooth collies, bearded collies and labs in the past but none were trained for lead work as they were always off leads as they were farm/working dogs - give me some sheep and a collie and I'll have them working them in 1/2 hour so his training is harder for me to do!! - if you get what I mean
But never had experience with huskies and he's showing traits of the husky in him as I've read they 'charge' when pulling sleds and our little man doesn't half charge when walking, by this I mean the ears go right back and nothing will stop him and even tho he barks, he loves to whine and moan both off and on lead! I'm actually tempted to put a video up to show members what he's like!!
In which case, if he's pulling into the collar, I would avoid a harness, as you say, he'll pull into it more. I would seriously think about using a headcollar as a temporary measure until you have retrained him to walk nicely in the way that you want him to. The joy of a head collar is you can correct a pull easily and without hurting you or the dog...then reward and praise the dog when you have it back in the right position, so the retraining can progress pretty quickly.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2008, 07:07 AM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
The opening post did`nt ask for advice, I thought it was just a poll to see what peoples general preferences were on product types for pullers
Agrred Patch...but she is asking for help....if you read leanne last post she sounds like she wiishes she never started something......and I was going to suggest she asked you or shone for some guideance. The reason being She has a mixed breed of two working dogs there, both characters trying to get out (if you get my meaning). Two years back I was very surprised to see in Lapland....on a husky sledging go....that the Lead dog was a Collie???? (on two of the sledges) when I asked the owner (who was renting out the sledges) he said that the two types work very well together and often they will use the Collie as they have a sharp working mind, and so with the Huskey's WANT of work, they complaint each other.
What I was going to say was....and perhaps Patch could suggest siomething....could the harness, be bringing this 'part' out and do you think your training class would work one to one on heel work, using a long training lead with the '''change direction''method.
Page 6 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 >