Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-05-2008, 08:14 PM

Running away when in the park

After a while from being off the lead Shadow decides to run off to other people/dogs then eventually comes back after me shouting for 2-3 minutes, when he decides to come back he looks at me then runs off again, this has been happening more frequently, maybe he thinks it's a game!? It's coming to the point that I'm going to have to lead him everywhere, which I really don't want to do.........can anyone help??

Thanks
Leanne
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2008, 08:33 PM
one of my dogs used to do the same. i find the best thing to do is run away from him, sounds mean but it worked a treat with my dog.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2008, 08:39 PM
how old is shadow?
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-05-2008, 08:41 PM
He's 6 months old!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2008, 09:00 PM
Don't think Shadow is ready to let off lead as yet, continue with your recall training and use a long line until he is much more reliable.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2008, 09:00 PM
Ok - here are some tips which should be done from day one, but all will help if you start now. There's loads of them so i will just list them in no particular order.

- always take treats with you.

- always call your dog in a really happpy excited voice, never shout or sound angry of threatening as there is nothing nice about returning to an angry owner. Call them once, or maybe twice but no more if they are ignoring you - you don't want them to learn that they can ignore you calling them. Try to call them when there are less distractions, give your self a fighting chance.

- if you are ignored bend down with your arms wide, or, like others have said, run screaching in the other directions, or even crouch down and pretend to look really interested in something on the floor.

- make a game of getting your dog to come back to you regularly, sometimes give them a treat, sometimes play with them, sometimes clip the lead on and get them to walk with you for a bit, sometimes clip lead on and take it off again, sometimes hold collar. The idea is that the dog never knows when the walk is going to end - lots of dogs only ever have their lead put on at the end of the walk when the fun is over so there is little reward in them returning to their owner.

- get yoru dog used to having a treat for having its collar held.

- don't follow the same route - hide from your dog sometimes...like a hide and seek game so they always have to keep an eye on you.

- before you let your dog play with other dogs get them to pay attention to you for and then release them to play. keep play sessions short and sometimes put them on the lead and get them to walk past other dogs and not play. whether they play or not should be yoru decision.

- train them to come back to a whistle if you feel that they have already learnt to ignore you calling them.

- There is no reason that your dog has to be fed in a bowl at home, if you have a real problem with recall take dried food out with you and let the dog know that you have it, then feed pieces to them each time they come back to you.

- never chase after your dog to get them back as this is then a game in their eyes.

- at home practice coming to call and do not reward the dog until you have your fingers slipped under their collar....that is very important or they will learn the "grab the treat and run off" move.

- even if you are angry with your dog for not coming back don't show it to them. If they come back after ten minutes you don't have to praise them, but do not tell them off just clip them on the lead.

- practice practice practice!

Fingers crossed for you!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2008, 09:01 PM
Also i think the sooner you let them off the lead the better. I would take him to quieter places where you can practice.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2008, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
Ok - here are some tips which should be done from day one, but all will help if you start now. There's loads of them so i will just list them in no particular order.

- always take treats with you.

- always call your dog in a really happpy excited voice, never shout or sound angry of threatening as there is nothing nice about returning to an angry owner. Call them once, or maybe twice but no more if they are ignoring you - you don't want them to learn that they can ignore you calling them. Try to call them when there are less distractions, give your self a fighting chance.

- if you are ignored bend down with your arms wide, or, like others have said, run screaching in the other directions, or even crouch down and pretend to look really interested in something on the floor.

- make a game of getting your dog to come back to you regularly, sometimes give them a treat, sometimes play with them, sometimes clip the lead on and get them to walk with you for a bit, sometimes clip lead on and take it off again, sometimes hold collar. The idea is that the dog never knows when the walk is going to end - lots of dogs only ever have their lead put on at the end of the walk when the fun is over so there is little reward in them returning to their owner.

- get yoru dog used to having a treat for having its collar held.

- don't follow the same route - hide from your dog sometimes...like a hide and seek game so they always have to keep an eye on you.

- before you let your dog play with other dogs get them to pay attention to you for and then release them to play. keep play sessions short and sometimes put them on the lead and get them to walk past other dogs and not play. whether they play or not should be yoru decision.

- train them to come back to a whistle if you feel that they have already learnt to ignore you calling them.

- There is no reason that your dog has to be fed in a bowl at home, if you have a real problem with recall take dried food out with you and let the dog know that you have it, then feed pieces to them each time they come back to you.

- never chase after your dog to get them back as this is then a game in their eyes.

- at home practice coming to call and do not reward the dog until you have your fingers slipped under their collar....that is very important or they will learn the "grab the treat and run off" move.

- even if you are angry with your dog for not coming back don't show it to them. If they come back after ten minutes you don't have to praise them, but do not tell them off just clip them on the lead.

- practice practice practice!

Fingers crossed for you!
great post ! x
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2008, 09:52 PM
Thank you!
hades
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-05-2008, 10:13 PM
TEENAGER STAGE!!!!!!
My boy was the same...and still can be.
He was always good on his recall and being well behaved...from when I got him at 8wks to about 6-7months.
Then over night a little sh!t evolved....
When I took him out one day he just didnt listen to me..ran off to see other dogs , wouldnt come back when I called him...and the rest etc
So I just think it is your pup getting into the teenage stage...which is real hard work!
Not everyones dog goes through this stage as much but...my boy was and still can be hard work.

I would say its just his teenage stage kicking in..so dont worry to much.
I have found keeping up the trainning, being more stricter with him ....letting him no what he isnt allowed to do and what he is allowd to do... so he nows were he stands.
And live by the saying...."say what you mean and mean what you say"!
That is the best advise I got.....it was off the man and lady that bred my boy...after I spoke to them about his teenage behavoir ....they said it was the teenage stage and that I should be more firm and strict and show more leadership (that means stricter with rules)..and letting him now what I want from him... which I have found has made him a less naughty pup!
Dont get me wrong he still has his bad days....and apparently this can last till there fully matured?????
Hope this helps..
keep us posted!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >