View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sutty
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2007, 10:26 AM
'Rubbing there noses in it' still goes on, it is a very outdated practise but it happens, perhaps we should be more prepared to educate rather than attack an honest query!
Anyhow, well done to you for taking this little girl in, good luck with her and i hope things work out
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-12-2007, 12:08 PM
Hi Countrydogs and welcome to Dogsey do you mind if I make a couple of observations to add to the good advice already given..
Just a small point first, you say in response to a poster...
Originally Posted by 2countrydogs View Post
I never once said I LOCKED my dog outdoors!!! You must be confused! She has been raised outdoors all her life and its all she knows.
!
..but in a previous post you state..
It was a mild day, so I put her outside at 10 am, and brought her in at 3 pm as it startd to cool off,
I think this would indicate to many that you had indeed shut or 'locked' your dog outdoors. You also say ...
but so far I have had 2 responses, first was an attack to say the very least! and second was slightly less rude!
slightly less rude ..really? I find the post you are referring to post number 3 both polite and helpful

Now to your dog , you say..
They said she was outside all the time, only came in at night to sleep in a kennel.
From this I would deduce that she has never actually been house trained in the first place.
Very few dogs will soil in or near their beds, I guess it is a natural preservation thing because doing so would 'invite' flies and disease to the area in which they sleep and eat. So, to a dog anywhere that is not their bed (or adjacent to it) is to them an acceptable area in which to relieve themselves.
House training is teaching a dog what is acceptable to us and where we wish it to relieve itself .So I would start from scratch with your dog as with a puppy.
This means watching the dog like a hawk for signs that it wishes to go out like sniffing the ground/circling then rushing it outside. Also taking the dog out on a lead at the times it will most likely want to relieve itself /after sleep/food/play/excitement/ and every hour or so to begin with , then praising and reward it for relieving itself in the appropriate place. If you add a word like 'be clean' when it is in the middle of relieving itself then praise/reward immediately it finishes it will learn to associate the words with the actions and will eventually go on command.

If you just shut the dog out it will never learn what is required of it and will go on soiling in the house. Rubbing a dogs nose in a soiled area can make the dog afraid of you, it may also encourage the dog to 'go' in places which can't be seen like behind furniture or to 'hide the evidence' by eating it . It is better to clean the soiled area well with a biological washing powder to eliminate the smell and ignore the incident.

I previously house trained an older dog which had been outside in a kennel all its life. It took a very short time to train it because unlike a puppy once it began to learn what was required it had the ability to wait a time to relieve itself.

Good luck with your dog
2countrydogs
New Member!
Female 

14-12-2007, 03:56 PM
Well, I appreciate all those who have been kind enough to offer construcive advice, we are working on it, and so far so good, less and less accidents each day.

For those that think I am an abusive dog owner, and just want to bully me around, I dont have time.

I have unsubscribed from this thread, I'm done with being attacked. and just about done with this site!! Like i said, i came here from someone who highly reccomended it, but now Im thinking that yes, people from the UK are just different, and Im not interested in being attacked, I came here for advice, if I had known everyone was so mean I would have sought a different place.

IM sorry to anyone that feels I am a terrible person, or dogowner, I love all my animals! I live on a farm and all my animals are well looked after.

Goodbye and goodluck
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2007, 04:04 PM
yet again your final post still comes across like you are an aggressive person...good luck
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2007, 06:03 PM
I'm glad your little dog is fitting in better and the 'potty training' is coming along. Good luck Sorry to hear you've unsubscribed from Dogsey, I have my own thoughts and hopefully wasn't one of the 'Bullying' ones, I can see by your messages that you feel very angry but us British arn't all bad honest. I have to agree that sometimes thread and mobile texts come over differently than face to face, and I think your frustrations sounded angry. But I for one never said you were cruel. I know of loads and loads of people that leave their dogs outside, my neighbour for one, but I wouldn't personally as my two Border Collies wouldn't be used to it as they have never experienced it. However having said that my neighbours dog has always done it and it doesn't seem to be bother. Everyone makes their own choices and everyone had their own opinions, which is what happened. Unfortunately the more you got angry so did others. I have followed your thread (although only did the one post) and......my opinion.....can see faults on both sides. Hopefully when your not so upset maybe you could re-read your post and see how it may of came across to some dog lovers, as I feel some people may of seen the thread as if you'd regretted taking the dog on....which I'm sure you haven't. I'm glad he's working out now and once again all the best in the future.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3