View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CockerMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 08:51 PM
just had a look at the site and i couldn't think of anything worst to put around my dogs neck. it looked too tight and very un-comfortable for the dog. i'd rather use a head collar or a harness.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2007, 08:04 AM
Cocker mum - I agree, it looked uncomfortable the first time I saw it, but having looked back and read through properly it looks awful!
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2007, 09:04 AM
As others have said it is a slip collar designed to sit up on the most sensitive part of the dogs neck.

I really dislike Cesar Milan. His methods leave alot to be desired. There was a cruelty case against him by a tv producer who left their dog into his centre to work on stranger fear. Aparently an hour later the dog was rushed to the vets blood coming out of it's nose, bruising on it's inner thighs and struggling to breath after being forced to run on a treadmill with a chokechain on.

Cesar defends himself by saying he wasn't at the centre at the time.... but the dog was under the care of HIS staff, working under HIS methods.....
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2007, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
As others have said it is a slip collar designed to sit up on the most sensitive part of the dogs neck.

I really dislike Cesar Milan. His methods leave alot to be desired. There was a cruelty case against him by a tv producer who left their dog into his centre to work on stranger fear. Aparently an hour later the dog was rushed to the vets blood coming out of it's nose, bruising on it's inner thighs and struggling to breath after being forced to run on a treadmill with a chokechain on.

Cesar defends himself by saying he wasn't at the centre at the time.... but the dog was under the care of HIS staff, working under HIS methods.....
That's awful

I really have to see this... I would never have thought someone with such a pathetic way of training could have a 'hit' tv prog and a book out.

As a matter of interest, has anyone read his book? I think I'm glad I didn't waste the money on it now!
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2007, 12:52 AM
I've read his book and it is excellent. It does not advocate violent or brutal methods at all. Just common sense. I would recommend it especially to people who "hate" cesar milan.
DanishPastry
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-05-2007, 06:15 AM
why would he write a book which is a complete contradiction to his hands on training?? Does he not practice what he preach??
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2007, 06:49 AM
DanishPastry - his book would not do very well if it included all the old school methods and using positive punishment/negative reinforcement, would it? Especially not if another behaviourist got hold of it and made a point of it.

I am yet to see him in action and until then I suppose I will have to reserve judgement.
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2007, 08:06 AM
i have watched his programmes and i think they are good, evreyone has there own methods of training, yes the collar does look bad but i think if you look at it as a start to help if a difficult dog, where you need some thing to help the dog learn then not that bad it is like a choke collarbut does not move, it does not get tight like the choke which i feel is better. Sorry but from what i can see cesar is just using what a dog would do to another dog.

i am not startinga fight but but we need to look at things from all sides.

to me the collar is like a show collar we put that right up by the dogs ears in the same place the collar is only diffrence is it has got another bit to it. dont take me wrong i now show collars dont hurt, but there is no proof the collar ceser uses does. He is there to help people and i think he is good at what he does, but that is my OHP others have there own.
DanishPastry
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-05-2007, 09:44 AM
sjpurt, show dogs wearing a thin collar pulled up behind their ears does not make a pretty sight to my eyes, but dogs in a showring do do not go out of their way to pull their handlers about, and thus maximizing the risk of injury.
And for "just doing what dogs do to each other" I am sorry but I don't agree with you. Dogs use MINIMAL physical force to teach each other good behaviour, example from today:
My fiancée walks a 2 year old untrained in your face dobie boy, and I take my older akita cross bitch out for walks with them. The dobie came a bit too close for her comfort a few times, and she gave him "looks", to tell him to keep his distance. Then a minute later he did it again and she gave a growl, then he did it AGAIN (because he has not learned boundaries and self control) and she quickly and swiftly told him in no uncertain terms to keep his nose to himself. He yelped, but there was not a mark on his nose (she has very good bite inhibition) and she did not force him to the ground or scruff him, or physically drag him anywhere. It took about 1 second, and that was it.
When my youngest dog Indy was a puppy, Akita taught her manners when they played. If Indy got too cheeky, Akita would be a tiny bit more tough with her, even lay on top of her and keep her down til she behaved, but it was in PLAY! Indy never got bullied, scared or hurt through this. You might argue that he does not hurt dogs, but when you learn what to look for, you will see that he does.
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2007, 09:56 AM
hi danish i under stand what you are saying and yes that is correct i was just giving my opinion on what i was seeing, as i was saying everyone everyone does it there own way and i try and teach my dogs to the best i can with treat rewarding and if i am not sure i ask.

The good thing about us is we will ask but cesar is using his tecneic in his country where as we would not think of using it here. thank you for your comments it is the only way to learn if people can point out what some of us dont see.

sam
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »