Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-10-2006, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by Ailsa1 View Post
Yep...I agree...(again! )
But....in that case...since they only had 5 days or something...I just don't think that woman did all the work....
Nor do I, which was why I think Mic slipped her his phone number, he's got designs on that dog and I don't blame him The dog deserves an owner who understands his needs. I just wish they would get a few "proper" owners with real problems rather than the variation on a theme we keep getting
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2006, 06:58 PM
ive just started watching this programme and thought it was pretty good!

that rotti was dying for something to learn and give his brain something to do,i hope she carried on teaching him at home!
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-10-2006, 07:02 PM
The off topic posts have been moved to start a new thread here

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=45662
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2006, 09:01 PM
Last nights - choco lab, jrt x and the very pretty staffordshire...

Wish they would show more of the training, but were they not the most prettiest dogs... I would have had the stafford in a second, although I would leave the owner, what a moron, 'he can only have one master' (as in there was no way the dog was going to listen to the woman, but she proved him wrong!)

I am training a deliquent lab much like that one too, same age, except my trainee is a little fat tyrant who isn't interested in food!

Tell you what though, they are using more and more postive punishment (which i have no problem with) but to the average person who knows not so much about training, it coudl be disastrous, they ought to be careful what they show to the general public!!!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2006, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by jess View Post
Tell you what though, they are using more and more postive punishment (which i have no problem with) but to the average person who knows not so much about training, it coudl be disastrous, they ought to be careful what they show to the general public!!!

I am afraid I still haven't watched it - and from what you say, I'm glad I have so far missed this series.

Positive punishment can often have fallout - one reason not to use it I'd say...
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2006, 10:06 PM
it's fine if you understand what is going on, and yes they use it, but they also use loads and loads of praise to keep the dogs interested and they don't look scared to me.I don't like to use the word 'fear' anyway, I liketo say you put a certain amount of 'stress' on them, as they would have in a pack environment. Not that it is all pack theory either, but as I say you def. need lots of encouragement, otherwise you are just beating the dog into submission. Which they are clearly not doing. Would rather they just showed the 'happy' bits to the public!!!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

17-10-2006, 12:49 AM
I just caught the repeat - I thought it was good too.. still a bit too much swearing tho
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2006, 01:28 AM
I`m not going to say much about the program on the whole as any one who knows me knows my views on it.
I will say the new woman is a vast improvement so far.

What I will comment on is about the Rottie.
Yes he was very bored, totally misunderstood by his owner, and she did improve on that.
But yet again, I am absolutely incensed at the agility side, The Rottie had never been off lead as far as was made evident. Therefore he can`t be very fit. He is also a very chunky lad.
So why did the trainer have the dog doing agility, and at full height, in the space of a few days ?
I have yet to see that trainer use agility responsibly. The dogs are either too young, [ last series ], or simply not fit enough in my estimation from information given on the program.
Even the very fit dogs, which train under me, wait months before I have them doing full height. It should be built up steadily, to build the muscles and stamina for the jumping involved and to ease the joints in to use for the extra physical exertion.

Without prejudice :

I am sick and tired of seeing such amateur misuse in regard to agility on that program. If any dogs become lame or develop muscular, spinal or joint problems because of it, I hope the trainer and the program makers get sued to the hilt for their part in it, which in my personal opinion as an experienced *real* agility trainer of many years, is absolutely negligent of them.
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2006, 01:44 AM
I thought this one was ok, although not as good as the first one. The trainer Mic got really annoyed with the girl he was helping. But what does he expect - she is there because she doesn't have a clue how can he expect her to suddenly be perfect

I thought it was good overall It's nice to see the update at the end with the dogs doing well.
I think the judge let it down though. Was it a different woman? I thought she was way too harsh this time Did she not give the staffie a distinction just because it knocked a few of the agility bars down?!
I agreed with the woman owner of the JRT cross, it was a bit of a big leap suddenly going out in a town full of people. I think they should have got a distinction too
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2006, 07:05 AM
On another forum, on which the general consensus is that the programme is awful, some said the jrt was so stressed that at the end it looked as if he'd shut down. If that's true then it's not good.

If Mic's still swearing, it's about time he grew up!

Good dog training and behaviour work is as much about, or more about, , working with people as it is with dogs. Good dog trainers/behaviourists are without doubt "people people". If the trainer can't communicate with, motivate and train the owner, then the dog has no chance.
Page 4 of 45 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »