View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2006, 02:14 AM
I thought it was no where as good as last season to be honest & I don't like that new trainer, what happened to Debbie?
AJL
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-10-2006, 06:39 AM
Its only one in!

I admit though maybe a bit too much on the personal, and less on the training, but guess maybe with these 3 dogs, it was all down to the individuals

As for the judge though... weak!!!! 'On the scores, you would have failed, but i think you've done really well so you passed'

I appreciate there was a marked change in the behaviour of the dog and owner, but it does undermine the efforts of the other owners, dogs and trainers somewhat?
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2006, 08:06 AM
I didn't see it as we had company.

I hated the last series with a passion I am afraid, due to what i feel was such bad training methods. I hope this series will be better with less rattle bottles and more knowledge :smt002
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-10-2006, 03:42 PM
Here's my summary

Judge : Completely rubbish, I agree with the lady trainer about that test wasnt too hard for him at all. Although I could have happily shot the owner, always banging on about how he was man and he had a mans dog etc. Me thinks he is trying to prove something (perhaps how much of a moron he was ? )

Mick : I liked the way he backed off when the rottie was starting to look up to him. I did have to giggle when he was giving her instructions from that loud speaker.

The other two trainers I like, the new lady is much much nicer than the horrible bag who was there before.

I'll keep watching it
Azz
Administrator
Male 

10-10-2006, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I hope this series will be better with less rattle bottles and more knowledge :smt002
Hi Wysiwyg... what methods would you use in the same situations? Always interested in new/alternative techniques

Originally Posted by AJL View Post
I appreciate there was a marked change in the behaviour of the dog and owner, but it does undermine the efforts of the other owners, dogs and trainers somewhat?
I thought the dogs ended up much better - maybe they should give the dogs a seperate certificate and the owners another? (I know the dogs would always pass but at least it would show the owners they have work to do )
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2006, 04:46 PM
I saw this last night by chance, first time I've seen it. I thought it was quite good I was a bit worried at first that it was going to be all about harsh training methods so I was pleased to see it was all quite positive. I loved the dogs :smt049

I don't understand how they all passed though The guy with the Estrela, what did he get right in the test?! I don't think the test was too hard. He had improved a lot but I really think that judge was just being nice to everyone Even the beagle only got half the test done right, but they got a distinction?
The rottweiler did great though
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2006, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Hi Wysiwyg... what methods would you use in the same situations? Always interested in new/alternative techniques

Hi Azz

I didn't see the programme this time around (although may try to catch it later in the week as it's usually repeated) so can't say what I'd have done

I would generally tend to look at the relationship between dog and owner, as unless this is good it's very hard to get a lasting result, no matter how good the trainer.

I'd use the clicker I expect - after all it was used to get huge animals such as whales to do things, so it's quite easy to get problem dogs to do what you ask with it

Sorry I'm not really answering you Azz, maybe as the series goes on and i do watch some of it, I'll be able to do so
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2006, 05:22 PM
mick didn't seem pleased the rotti passed ?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-10-2006, 06:37 PM
I watched this just now as I had recorded the repeat late last night. Wasn't much of a fan of the first series, this one seemed ok, but I am mystified as to why some people choose the dogs that they do.
The Rottie was gorgeous, but his owner was useless, why would anyone take on a rottie and yet be so clueless as to the training required to achieve a well balanced dog. Once pointed in the right direction she took it all on board, but why had it never occurred to her to seek help before
The geezer with the Estrella was just stupid, the dog was 9 years old for gods sake, it wasn't a rescue. he had it from a pup, and he knew the problem was him because he said when it was shown by someone other than himself he behaved perfectly, but when he took it in the ring he took no notice of him at all. Again, why so long to get help?
The two with the beagle the woman with the long hair had no connection with that dog at all before the training, how the hell did they decide a beagle was the dog for them? I think he hit the nail on the head when he said it was a baby substitute.
I am really shocked that people enter into buying a dog with so little research into exactly what owning a dog for the next 15 years or so is going to involve.

But on a huge plus point the reason I actually sit through all dog programs is Syd, he has never willingly tolerated any dog on the t.v, and I use it as a training tool, he has been showing distinct signs of improvement recently, and tonight he sat and watched the whole program without any protest whatsoever, in fact he was watching avidly. So yay,way to go Syd:smt041 :smt041 :smt041
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2006, 07:09 AM
My OH likes this too Trouble and now makes comments on the methods!!!

As an aside, I was surprised by the rotti being able to walk past another dog with a firm 'leave it'. Having a very dog distracted dog I know it ain't easy and would be worse idf aggression was involved. We didn't see any work being put into that and the woman becoming a better handler wouldn't have fixed a problem like that. My opinion? Given the dog was so 'into' Mic and we saw Mic in the kennel on his own with him I think Mic did lots of work with this dog on his own....what do you all think????
Ax
Page 2 of 45 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »