View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
PONlady
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-03-2006, 10:15 AM
I agree with Loustaff. Why do so many trainers have no idea how to relate to people? Don't they see that to get to a dog, they first have to win over the owner??

I was very disappointed to see trainers so ready to give up on a dog because they didn't get on with the owner . . "It's your reputation on the line, mate" . . . What a cop-out! Thank heavens there was a trainer there who was concerned enough about the dog that he was willing to overlook how 'annoying' the owner was . . Look, Ma, a grown-up!!

And as for worrying about 'reputations being on the line' . . well, someone's reputation certainly took a nose-dive as a consequence of that Lab's owner, but it wasn't the guy who took her on!!

Lastly - Mick's language!!! Absolutely disgusting, very, very offensive and completely unnecessary. Wash out your mouth, Mick!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2006, 11:01 AM
I thought the programme was great! Loved the boxer, but was disappointed they didn't do the test, thought they were incredubly rude to be honest, when Mic had helped them turn their dog around...a thankyou would have sufficed...
Can totally understand why the labrador owner caused problems, she seemed to argue with everything initially, so what was the point in her being there???? Think it took her a while to acknowledge both she and the dog needed to change, more so her, but all credit to her she did a fantastic job in the end!
As for the trainers saying their reputations were on the line...I took those comments as being a bit jokey, but of course the producers probably thought it would make good tele...
I really like this programme as it clearly shows that owners are at fault for a lot of bad doggy behaviour, which is what people need to see.
totally agree with Wys about the bottle though, could be a dangerous tool in the wrong hands...
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2006, 11:36 AM
I didn't learn any thing new,this week it was more or less the same as last weeks programme.I didn't like the way Debbie grabbed the JRs Collar ,if she had done that to at least 2 of my Dogs she would have been bitten and Rightly so .Mike was the only one this week that seemed to do any Training the Rest spent there time just shaking those Bl**dy Bottles., I would like to see alternative methods used as well Because if I rattled a bottle with stones near my 2 nervy Dogs I'm sure I would end up with massive problems on my Hands.

I still don't quite understand all the press ups. I would be useless I can do about Half a press up at a Time
PONlady
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-03-2006, 01:32 PM
I heard via another list that someone tried this pebble-shaker bottle with their Weimi after watching Dog Borstal . . and got bitten.

To give the programme its credit, tho, it did have a written warning up at the end saying not to attempt to use any of the training techniques seen without taking advice from a dog-trainer.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2006, 03:02 PM
Have to admit I enjoy the programme as entertainment and am not on the look out for training tips I could use with my lot! I just think it's great to watch and interesting to see how they turn specific dogs round! Didn't see the warning ponlady, probably running outside with the pup!!! But it's great that they have that on...bit like the disclaimer that my son HATES at the end of the Power Rangers ( not as much as I hate the Power Rangers but that's another story!"!!!)
suz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-03-2006, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by Jenny
for anyone who missed it, its on again.

Mon 13 Mar at 21:00 on BBC Three
Tue 14 Mar at 00:00 on BBC Three
Thu 16 Mar at 00:55 on BBC Three
DAMN DAMN!!! :smt005
I MISSED IT!!!! Just checked the TV schedule and its not on tonight!!! dont think i can stay up until 00.55 on thursday thats 01.55 here, I'll be in dream world by then!!
suz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-03-2006, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by Mic Martin
What he said was that these dog owners will want him to punish their dogs if they screw up. They will also want to punish the dogs themselves if they screw up. But what punishment does the owner expect to receive if they fail the dog or screw up? None at all. So what he does is teach them that they are no less deserving of punishment for failing than the dog is. When he explained it that way, I understood why he does it that way.

So if the handler forgets his toy, forgets to clean the kennel forgets to give it fresh water, doesn't pick up his poo, forgets simple commands and confuses the dog he's getting punished.
Hi Mic

Sadly I missed this weeks episode but have to say I find your theory brilliant, how great would it be if the police stated to punish people in the same way!! Hysterical! I can't wait to see it next week now!

With ref to the gay comments, again I didn't see this, but I imagine they edited it to try and make you look like the 'baddie'!

In this crazy nanny state it will only upset the PC left wingers......!!! Not something to lose sleep over!! I have quite a few gay friends and gay is a very tame word compared to some of the words they call themselves and compared to what their friends call them......LOL Words that would cause an uproar in the PC brigade

Looking forward very much to seeing the next episode!

:smt041
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-03-2006, 07:30 PM
I watched it last night for the first time and thought it was brilliant! Good methods were used which got results.

Why is it tucked away on BBC3 and not on normal channels???
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2006, 08:43 PM
I've been watching it on Telewest - using the teleport thing.

Just have to say, I think Mic is bloody brilliant!
If owners can't face up to the fact that THEY are the ones who don't train their dogs, let them get away with things etc, then they deserve to be told what to do etc!
I think making them do a few press ups is good, and I agree - they don't expect punishment, but punish their dog!

Have had a few probs traning my dog, and a friend told me what I was doing wrong, and how to correct it. No, it's not nice being told you are doing something wrong, but learn from your mistakes!

I think training the boxer this week for agility was brill, just a shame they left early!! Not very nice to leave Mic waiting for them.

Couldn't believe the lab - gets milk, sweets, is allowed to hump a special toy Go figure!!
suz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-03-2006, 08:46 PM
Hump a 'special' toy? HAHAHAHA i WONDER IF IT GETS TAKEN OUT FOR DINNER FIRST.....
Page 4 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »