Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Eburg85
New Member!
Male 

13-07-2017, 01:11 AM

Dog anxiety and new home

Hi All,
About 9 months ago I purchased a new home with a friend. My old place my dogs were allowed freedom to come in and out of the house as they pleased mainly because of a roommate that did not abide by my rules with my dogs when I was not home. My new home there are rules and boundaries that I am putting in place for my dogs but I am having major difficulties with my American Bulldog. She is terrified to be left outside mainly at night. My current schedule I have my dogs on is morning they get put outside when I go to work and have freedom of the side yard and the garage, I get home feed them and after there is some play time with them which includes a 45 min walk. Around 9pm they are allowed in the house into my room where I have beds for them. My American Bulldog who is 6 has had major difficulties adjusting to the new home and rules. She has tore up stuff in the garage, scratches and jumps at doors to get inside and has recently destroyed my side gate to the point it has to be completely replaced. When she is outside she runs around panting, barking, whinning and acting like something is trying to kill her for lack of better words. My roommate recently has expressed how exhausting it is since they are not his dogs to have to deal with all these issues. I am to the point where I am running out of options. If anyone has some advice or suggestions, please let me know. Sorry such a long post.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2017, 08:03 AM
Have you tried leaving them indoors while you are at work?

Have you tried a longer walk and more play time?
Eburg85
New Member!
Male 

14-07-2017, 01:40 AM
Hi Chris,

Unfortunately my dogs are not allowed in the house at my new place besides my room. I typically bring them in aroiund 9pm. As far as exercise, I am planning on waking up earlier so I can walk them in the morning before I go to work and then also walk them when I get home. Since the move she has major anxiety about everything but only at home. It is so weird to me. I know change takes time so I am doing my best to work with her.

By the way because I have been asked by friends if my neighbors are doing something to my dogs when I am gone and they're not. I actually have a camera up on the side of my house and my neighbors know it is there.