Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dianaiad
New Member!
Female 

11-07-2017, 06:47 PM

Special problem with separation anxiety

I have a rescue "Cairnchi," ...a Cairn terrier/Chihuahua mix... who is now about a year old (he was nine months old when I got him from the pound) He was severely traumatized when I got him, very ill...and they neutered him ANYway. It took me three weeks and a lot of vet bills to get him to where he could even climb stairs. I basically carried him around with me ALL the time.

As a result, he is extremely bonded to me. He sleeps with me in my bed, he is very protective and has separation anxiety up the wazoo. He hates my brother and puts up with everybody else, and is scared of everything. He expresses his fear by getting aggressive. I can stop that aggression cold if I can catch him at it, but if I can't....he scares our gardener who owns two pit bulls and a rottweiler...all three of which have shown their intense willingness to tear me limb from limb.

He's doing MUCH better now, because we got him a 'service kitten." We rescued a seven week old kitten about a month after we got Dobby, and they have 'grown up' together. The cat is now about six months old, cleans Dobby's clock regularly, and they are devoted to one another. Both of 'em sleep with me on my bed, and Dobby can handle my absences...and other people...much better if the cat is with him.

Here's my problem:

I need a bone marrow transplant. I'll be in the City of Hope for close to six weeks, and when I come home I'll need to take some very stringent precautions because my immune system is going to be pretty much non-existent. I know what I'm in for, because this isn't my first trip around that block. It WILL be my first time when I have to worry about the dog, though. My docs tell me that I can't have him with me; I can pet him...if I wipe my hands immediately with anti-bacterial wipes. No cuddling. No playing. DEFINITELY no sleeping on my bed.

So...how do I prepare the dog for this? I mean, really? I feel like when I take him out in public now, I should wear the vest saying 'service person." How many of YOU have a dog who needs a service kitten?

I'm really new at this dog owning business, and I do have some limitations here; for instance, please don't tell me to take him for long walks. That's absolutely not an option.

Help?