Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2014, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
I simply could not tolerate being bitten for what may be months, depending on how long puppy takes to grow out of it. How stupid do I look just dealing with being bitten over and over again by my own dog and not doing anything but ignoring it?

Those bites hurt, cause marks, and can cause infections and other problems. It's not something I'm willing to deal with and it doesn't last long around here at all. Chewing up the house, okay I can wait that out kinda, but chewing me up? Nope!
Totally agree ... absolutely unacceptable for any dog, pup, adolescent or adult, to bite hard enough to break skin. I never tolerated it with Hal, who was the last puppy that I have had ... little **** that he was!! The first and only time he growled at hubby, he was standing on the landing part of our staircase, and Mike was at the bottom looking up at him about to mount the stairs. Hal, all 12 or so weeks of him, drew himself up to his full height and proper growled at Mike in an extremely threatening and dominant way. He never did it again!! He would regularly bite hubby's ears when he was trying to sunbathe on the grass, and this was nipped in the bud (no pun intended) pretty damn quickly because it HURT. It is not funny, it is not sweet, and bearing in mind Hal's genetic make up it most very definitely had to be stopped ... and it was. With assertiveness, not aggression.

I cannot understand how anyone can advocate ignoring such frankly dangerous behaviour. It's all very funny ha ha how sweet when they are little balls of fluff weighing in at a few pounds, but when they have grown into a large male adult dog and weighing in at several stones, it most definitely is not funny, and is the sure route to having your dog euthanised.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2014, 01:27 PM
Originally Posted by Timber- View Post
I don't think anyone is implying that it is acceptable, at least i'm not, it's just that the pup is learning bit inhibition and needs the owner to teach the pup this as the mother and siblings are no longer around to teach manners. A puppy is not biting to hurt someone purposely, they just don't know how to control themselves appropriately yet.
Disagree entirely, but nonetheless am enjoying this debate ... happy new year to you Timber! xx gnasher xx
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-12-2014, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Disagree entirely, but nonetheless am enjoying this debate ... happy new year to you Timber! xx gnasher xx
I think the main point in ignoring unwanted behaviour is that the dog will get bored and find it unrewarding to do so. I noticed the same thing with my kitten. When he was younger he would play bite a lot. No mater how much I removed him, removed myself, pulled away, or yelled out he would not stop and it was starting to hurt. As soon as I ignored it and basically froze, he would play bite once and stop and begin to lick my fingers instead of biting. Now he doesn't do it.

To be honest, I don't see the dangerous behaviour your referring to in puppies. Puppies are not mature enough to think in the way adults do. They are mostly concerned with eating and playing.

I am trying to understand your point of view Gnasher, just not clicking. Remember, we are talking about puppies not adult dogs.

Happy New Year to you too.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2014, 06:11 PM
Maybe im placing too much emphasis on my own type of dog, but i dont think so. I strongly believe that with any breed, bur particularly with a more challenging breed like a jrt, you must stop this assertive behaviour ... it is not normal for any dog ever to break skin, whether pup or adult, to be so challenging ... and it should be stopped for the sake of the pup if nothing else
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-12-2014, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Maybe im placing too much emphasis on my own type of dog, but i dont think so. I strongly believe that with any breed, bur particularly with a more challenging breed like a jrt, you must stop this assertive behaviour ... it is not normal for any dog ever to break skin, whether pup or adult, to be so challenging ... and it should be stopped for the sake of the pup if nothing else
I don't think they are being assertive, I am implying about young pups ages 8 weeks to maybe about 6 months (give or take). I think they are just unaware of how hard they are play biting and nipping and are in play-mode and over excited. It is unacceptable, but the pup is not doing this out of spite or assertiveness or to be challenging, they are just immature. JRT's are an assertive breed (as far as I have been told), but are not biting and breaking skin as an intentional wanting to break skin and hurt their owners. We are all in agreement on nipping it in the bud, but to say it's the dog being assertive just doesn't make sense. If we were talking about adult dogs, this is a different story.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2014, 08:20 PM
I hear you but still disagree dogs, all dogs, need to learn right from the moment they leave mum and their siblings, that biting is unacceptable ... just like in the nursery it is unacceptable for babies to bite. I will quote my grandson ... now 1 but at just 3 or 4 months would pinch my boobs really hard in frustration that nothing was going to be forthcoming from me! I would very assertively say 'alfie no ' and glare at him very piercingly. Despite his appalling start in life he has never been allowed to pinch, bite, have tantrums or generally behave obnoxiously. At my mother's 90th birthday with 20 people seated round the table, he behaved impeccably ... because even when he was the equivalent of an 8 week puppy he was not allowed to 'bite'
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-12-2014, 09:54 PM
I have never known any puppy that already knew bite inhibition by the time they left mom and siblings.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2014, 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by Timber- View Post
I have never known any puppy that already knew bite inhibition by the time they left mom and siblings.
Me neither ... It is up to us to teach them. Exactly the point I was making about Hal biting hubby!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2014, 10:09 PM
Don't forget that in the wild pups remain with parents and siblings way past 8 or 12 weeks. If a young adolescent of say 4 months broke the skin of his mother say there would be serious repercussions!
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-12-2014, 10:20 PM
I get that in the wild, things work differently, but we're talking about domesticated pet dogs that are usually homed at 8 weeks old. Like the saying goes, there's more than one way to skin the cat.
Page 3 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »