Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Miel
New Member!
Female 

23-07-2014, 03:42 PM

My dog gets too excited when I take him for walks. Help

Hello Everyone,

I have four rescue pups that are 1 year old and I take them for half an hour walks everyday. All are pretty calm on their walks except one. He gets very excited and tries to pull his leash till he sort of chokes himself, when I calm him down he tries to go off the road path and into the bushes. He also knows when it's time to turn back home and refuses to move when I try to lead him back till I have to pick him up and carry him home. Any ideas on how to calm him down so we both can enjoy walks together?
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2014, 06:48 PM
Hi
Four one year old's!!....wow Well done to you,for giving them a loving home Sorry,can't help with the excitement problem but hopefully great advice is on the way.Looking forward to seeing pics of your gang....good luck xx
pitboy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-07-2014, 04:23 AM
how do you calm hem down? .... some forceful methods will make a dog display this behavior
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-07-2014, 05:53 PM
You say mixed breed. Can you pick out one or two predominant breeds they might be? Teaching say a standard poodle to walk nicely can be a very different lesson plan than the terrier breeds.
Then again there's just some dogs who are more livewires on leash. Maybe a puppy class for that particular pup? There are also many training tips online and in books for teaching leash manners.
Some breeds like bullies and rotties can be all you describe even as adults. You haven't lived till you've carried a 70lb dog a few blocks because they will not be moved. In the case of those two breeds, using a daily training program, patience, loving firmness, a sense of humor and gaining upper arm strength yourself are all very helpful.
hippy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-07-2014, 08:09 PM
My one year old is a pain in the butt on leash but so happy to be off. I have worked really hard on her recall so that I can give her that freedom as much as possible. When I have to take her on leash, I use a halti type harness, not the nose kind, she hated that terribly and that really helps. I don't like the halti but she is very strong and I only use it for very short periods.
Puppy or young dog classes may help with the walk to heel command but although my dog got all the commands, she just didn't grasp this one!
I think some breeds need the opportunity to run more than others.
zoobooy
New Member!
Female 

02-08-2014, 08:56 AM
Sometimes, it's better not to walk them all at once.

When you walk them, do you always take the same route? In the same direction? It might help to desensitise the 'we're heading back now' trigger by actually not going back at that specific point, but by making a turn in a different direction etc. It might also help not using the same route all the time, or at least walk it in the opposite direction that you'd usually do. And instead of just walking forward, take a couple of turns, walk back for a couple of steps, then forward again, just to make the walk a bit more unpredictable.

With dogs that tend to become excited, a couple of relaxation exercises might be a good idea. Teach them to the dog before you use it on walks, to make sure he knows what is being asked of him. You can have a look at Karen Overall's Relaxation protocol.

Also with dogs who tend to get excited quickly, rewarding any calm behaviours will make them offer it more often. Things you can do at home is just give the dog a treat for lying calmly by your feet, or for just chewing his toy etc. On walks, you should continuously reward calm behaviour, even if he's only calm for a second or two during the whole walk. (timing is important here)
Miel
New Member!
Female 

28-08-2014, 07:34 PM
Thanks for all the help. I find that after a bit of patience and rewarding them with a snack for calm behavior helped. When heading back home I show them the treat and give them when we get to the gate. Thank you everyone
Tommyboy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-08-2014, 09:47 PM
I really wish I had the answer to that one! We have a cocker/lab cross who is 13 weeks old and he is great on his lead. However, we also have an 18 month old basset that is a nightmare to walk. He pulls so hard when he sees another person or dog I nearly end up on my face. He also sits down and refuses to move, unless I resort to bribery. I would pick him up but he is 26kgs of pure muscle, so it's not really an option. In the house he is an amazing dog, but the walks with him can be quite stressful.
squeakzzz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-09-2014, 04:30 PM
My dog is a very excited and high energy one. When its time for walks she looks like a kangaroo. I tried multiple ways to calm her before walks but that was just a process that frustrated her.

Before walks we go out and play ball and it also allows her to run off leash to lower that energy level. By the time I put the leash on she is calm and ready to go on an adventure.

I take her on 3 walks a day so after each walk its chow time. She used to refuse heading home but now she has something to look forward to.

When she begins getting overly excited, like seeing a squirrel or cat, we stop. I have her sit down for afew minutes then she is back on track.

Also, when she is walking or even doing something that is good behavior, what always worked with high energy puts is stroke down from head to shoulders and praise them with "good girl/boy" something simple. When you scratch and do a rough play-like pet it gets the dog hyped up. If you're calm, they're calm.

Independent walking for the dog that needs working with is ideal since they get the one on one attention.
tula75
New Member!
Female 

13-10-2014, 10:36 AM
I recommed reading about different types of dog collars for tough situations http://www.petcollars.net/wall/clever-dog-collars/
and another one about dog training and control
http://www.petcollars.net/wall/dog-pulls-on-leash/
They're funny articles about different situations that might appear with pets. THey are really funny to read
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >