Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
morningglory
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-05-2013, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by jenny.g View Post
Firstly, what a lovely person you are to have rescued this dog and hopefully he will learn to trust again, as he has with you. You mentioned that he is a little more confident when your sheltie is with him - can you try and get them to spend more time together (gradually) and with any luck they will bond and you rescue dog will learn confidence through your sheltie.

The best of luck to you and keep us informed.
Yes Jenny I have been trying to get him to spend as much time as possible with my Sheltie. My mix sheltie even sits right next to him and licks his face. This stray dog is named Kye, and he is way larger than my little guy. If you look up American Foxhound that is what he looks like. He seems to like women more than men.Thank God I found a women Vet to come to the house.I am trying everything I can think of so far, and willing to take any advise.Thanks for responding to my letter.
morningglory
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-05-2013, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Oh how I wish I could with advice and real physical help but can not do either. I know zilch about tape worm, heart worm, and such, ('tho there are many on here who can probably advise) if you can afford the treatment please do it, this story has really got to me and I really hope you can save this dog and show that horrible neighbour what a malicious, uncaring human he is, the sad part is there are so many cretins like him on this planet.

Please don't give up, what I do know about dogs is that once they have 'bonded' they are the most loyal and faithful of creatures far exceeding humans in this respect.
I to wish that my neighbor could have a change of heart but it does not look promising. I will get him the heart worm treatment, even though it is very expensive. I worry about him getting sick on the treatment more so than the expense. He has been through so much suffering with one of the worse Winters we had in a long time ,along with starving.He deserves a good life and I want to provide it for him. I really think he was kept outside all the time by some heartless hunter.To socialize him is going to be a challenge.
morningglory
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-05-2013, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
You have done so well with him since you first posted, and clearly have determination and patience as well as a deep love for dogs - unlike that neighbour of yours who is certainly not making your life easy.

Do you have a room in the house that you could shut the chap in - starting off slowly with just a few minutes? A utility room or something would be ideal especially if there is a door to the outside pen. You probably haven't, or you would have thought of that by now

You deserve to have success with this dog, and somehow I think that you will win through.
Hi Bitkins, I have a walk out basement ,and I do get him to eat inside, but he is on edge listening to any noise that sounds strange to him , then runs out the door. I leave the doorwall open so he can leave when he feels uncomfortable.Closed the door for one minute yesterday , then let him out. I have it set up like a livingroom on the lower level, so there is much that he could get into.He does show signs of wanting to play. He will take one of my shoes , and run out the door with it , like come and get me. He does not destroy it, he will fall asleep with my shoe next to him.I wish so bad that I can adventually get him to be an indoor dog, the mosquitos are awful right now.I been putting essential oils on him trying to detour the nasty insects.
morningglory
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-05-2013, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by egroeg View Post
I echo all the praise given by others and really admire you for this.

I suppose you've tried having the volume right down on the TV.

Wish I had some other suggestions but I can only think of carrying on as you have been because you certainly are making progress.
Hi egroeg, Thanks for the vote of confidence.Yes I did shut the volume off on the TV. We have an entertainment center that houses the TV and he gets spooked by seeing his reflection in the glass doors of the entertainment center.He stops and stares and won't move for awhile , then takes off outside.I will keep trying and praying for success.
morningglory
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-05-2013, 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
You are a saint. I hate your neighbour. I do hope things work out - it won't be for the lack of you trying if they don't. Good luck.
Hello Tangutica, I guess being a Saint is never easy Thank for your support and yes I will keep trying. I love this dog very much ,and hope I can give him a good life.
morningglory
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-05-2013, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by Gemini54 View Post
Hi Well done, with the heartworm,you have to get that done,its not here in the UK,but from programmes I have seen it has to be treated immediately.Regarding your neighbour,maybe a bit of bribery,its not the same but where i lived before,the Lady nextdoor hated cats,I had adopted several feral which I fed outside,only one used to come in,but really couldnt stop them wondering.So I was fed up with the Animosty,and was baking,so decided to make a cake for her nextdoor(though I had thought of poisoning it)So made a cake,and went next door,she was delighted with the cake,and the second time I took a cake she invited me in.I said we seem to have got off on the wrong foot,I explained that the cats were feral and were just fed by me,she hated the cats tha used her garden as a toilet,but most cats wander but would undertake to find a solution I did find some granules,and they seemed to do the trick,maybe you could make him a pie.With the dog you have to be patient,with Fay I still havent got eye contact,and even now if I reach out to quickly she will bolt,everything is done very slowly,if you include the resident dog in handling him,as I have an older bitch,so include her by getting her to sit and giving her a chew.Fay will sometimes sit when she sees Holly doing it,its very hit or miss,but every step is worth it however small Best of Luck keep us posted Gemini54
Hello Gemini54 Well you do know what I am going through. He has been on his own in the woods and starving, so he is like a feral cat. When I get him to come into the walk out basement, he jumps and runs out if he hears the chair that I am sitting in make a creaking sound.He will let me massage and pet him. But coming indoors is a no no for him ,unless breifly and the door is open so he can escape.Take care thanks for responding.
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

21-05-2013, 05:45 AM
Get baking Morningglory
Your neighbour sounds like a nasty piece of work, .... but needs must eh?
Could you maybe attach a piece of string to your door handle so that when Kye comes into the walk out basement, you could pull the string to close the door behind him? Then you would have more time to play with him to gain his trust? He would no doubt kick off, but maybe it's the only way to tame him?
alys
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-05-2013, 09:48 AM
I just want to say 'well done ' you are doing an amazing job. What a lucky dog to have found a wonderful human at last.
egroeg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-05-2013, 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Get baking Morningglory
Your neighbour sounds like a nasty piece of work, .... but needs must eh?
Could you maybe attach a piece of string to your door handle so that when Kye comes into the walk out basement, you could pull the string to close the door behind him? Then you would have more time to play with him to gain his trust? He would no doubt kick off, but maybe it's the only way to tame him?
I'd be reluctant to try that. He may feel trapped and therefore want to defend himself.

Cake's a good idea
morningglory
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-05-2013, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by egroeg View Post
I'd be reluctant to try that. He may feel trapped and therefore want to defend himself.

Cake's a good idea
Hello Egroeg
I don't think cake will work on my neighbor , he really has some mental problems. Here is an example: he traps chipmunks , drowns them in a 5 gallon bucket of water then puts the dead carcass along our property line. He knows I love all animals and this is his way to try to get back at me, for what I don't know. I think he needs a pie , like cow pie . I will have to try to close the door a little at a time . He seems to be afraid of men. If my Husband is home he does not want to come in the house at all.
Page 6 of 21 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »