Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2013, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by morningglory View Post
Thank you Apache , I am so fearfull that something might happen to him out in the dog house all night. We live surrounded by a State park, raccoons, coyote and who knows what. When the Summer comes, I hope I can get him in the house ,or at least stay in the garage. They like to practice the Fourth of July here way before and after.They are not little explosives, they look like Downtown Detroit.Thanks for the encouragement , I am starting to loose faith in my efforts to train him.
Don't lose faith, you have done remarkably well so far and in a comparitively short space of time. Don't try to rush things, but just keep doing what you are and spend as much time as possible just sitting on the ground as near as you can get without worrying him. Wrap up warm, and take a book then surround yourself with tasty morsels of cheese/liver/sausages, whatever. Make every single association with you a pleasurable and rewarding one.

I do sympathise with your worries about the fireworks, it is just as bad here in November There is time between now and July to get this dog inside. Keep going, it will be worth it.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

05-04-2013, 07:24 PM
I am starting to loose faith in my efforts to train him.
Oh please don't give up, you've got all of us supporting you, we all want this dog to end up less frightened, well fed, and settled. As Sally and others have said, if you make every contact with him an enjoyable one he will eventually come to associate you with good things, it just takes time.

We have fireworks here on New Years Eve and sometimes at other times too, Baruska will face up to anything and defend the pack if she can see it and confront it, but when the noise comes from far away and she can't see it she gets very nervous but you still have two months until July 4th.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2013, 09:04 PM
Morningglory I fully sympathise about the 'fireworks'. Here in Cyprus they think nothing of using industrial strength firecrackers - cheaper than branded 'fireworks' (and any excuse will do) I'd like to have them all dumped at sea (along with some of the people who use them in residential areas)
morningglory
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-04-2013, 04:51 AM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Oh please don't give up, you've got all of us supporting you, we all want this dog to end up less frightened, well fed, and settled. As Sally and others have said, if you make every contact with him an enjoyable one he will eventually come to associate you with good things, it just takes time.

We have fireworks here on New Years Eve and sometimes at other times too, Baruska will face up to anything and defend the pack if she can see it and confront it, but when the noise comes from far away and she can't see it she gets very nervous but you still have two months until July 4th.
Thanks for the support Losos
morningglory
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-04-2013, 04:52 AM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Don't lose faith, you have done remarkably well so far and in a comparitively short space of time. Don't try to rush things, but just keep doing what you are and spend as much time as possible just sitting on the ground as near as you can get without worrying him. Wrap up warm, and take a book then surround yourself with tasty morsels of cheese/liver/sausages, whatever. Make every single association with you a pleasurable and rewarding one.

I do sympathise with your worries about the fireworks, it is just as bad here in November There is time between now and July to get this dog inside. Keep going, it will be worth it.
Thank you for the encouragement, I will keep trying.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2013, 06:40 AM
Nice to see you still checking in with us MorningGlory. Look forward to your updates and GOOD LUCK!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

13-04-2013, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Nice to see you still checking in with us MorningGlory. Look forward to your updates and GOOD LUCK!
Here here
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2013, 09:36 AM
I will like to introduce myself. I have joined this sight in hopes of getting information and tips on how to tame and socialize a dog I found starving in the woods. He might be semi feral. Any advise will be deeply appreciated.
Hi The best thing is to feed him do not look at him directly,just go to the place at the same time with food and water,and talk to him all the time,eventually he will learn to trust you,but it is going to take time,but when he really looks at you it will be so rewarding. Keep us posted crystalgirl
runningrabbit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-04-2013, 10:01 AM
If he lets you pet him and is eating out of a bowl, I would hold the bowl and hand-feed him from it. If you can make up a comfortable pile of blankets or bed in the garage where you do this, sit with him there and do it on the bed you want him to sleep on.

There may come a time when you have to decide to 'trap' him. You may have to accept that if you don't do this, you never will have him safe and sound. Many feral dogs are trapped and caught and then successfully rehabilitated and worked with, once safe and sound. Although it might be traumatic to capture him, it might also be for his benefit in the long-term. You would need to have a securely fenced in outdoor area, so he doesn't have to live indoors permanently during this process.
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-04-2013, 07:14 PM
Any updates?
Page 4 of 21 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »