View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labaddicted91
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-07-2012, 05:17 PM
Lady who we got her from said she wanted her to benefit from socialization in her new home so she could meet lots of new people. Apparently there was research done in the states to say its actually better for them. I need to stress that she does not bite all the time, and is very gentle usually and will listen, its just that mad 20 minutes where it can be really intense- she will only mouth usually and leave it when told, but the co,and has no effect in this mad 20mins...
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2012, 05:19 PM
The behaviour is perfectly normal. If she is having the motorcycle circuits at the same time every day, then they are predictable and mean you can time your training to prevent that happening.
labaddicted91
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-07-2012, 05:23 PM
Smokybear, thanks for the reply and reassurance. It is like talking to a brick wall when she is in duracell bunny with sharp fangs mode! it always seems to be in the after non about an hour or so after her 3rd meal. I don't allow her anything with colorings in.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2012, 05:25 PM
I was lucky enough not to really have to deal with this but its totaly normal for puppies to have a mad 1/2 hour
and pretty much everyone says its really something they cant control, they just get so wound up
like SB says if you can predict the time of it you could get her out for a walk or something before it happens

Mainly tho you just have to ride it out and make sure she isnt rewarded for it
Spend time teaching impulse control things - like the leave it you are doing - and something like a default sit or down would be good too
The control unleased 'give me a break' game could be good to teach her to work tru overarousal - you have a nice fairly mad game of something like tug, then stop dead - become a statue until she does something calm - especially like a sit or a down, then start the game again - best if you can stop the game before she goes OTT but when she is still excited
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2012, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Control-Unle...2200361&sr=1-2

Control Unleashed the Puppy Programme is good

http://www.deesdogs.com/documents/LoweringArousal.pdf
Off topic I know - but did you find the puppy programme much different than the origonal book? I have just got mine and was kind of skimming it but it seems a bit to similar at the moment, I have been a bit dissapointed
labaddicted91
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-07-2012, 05:33 PM
Ben mc, thanks so much. I will give that a go and let you know how we get on. At the moment we might play fetch but I will stop the game if she starts grabbing and and will make a tug go limp if she gets skin which sort of works, guess I've gotta keep at it! Please treasure me and say she will grow out of it soon lol...!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2012, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Off topic I know - but did you find the puppy programme much different than the origonal book? I have just got mine and was kind of skimming it but it seems a bit to similar at the moment, I have been a bit dissapointed
It is very similar and TBH I think it is a money making exercise.
labaddicted91
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-07-2012, 05:37 PM
Right. I am going to do the puppy program if that's the last thing I do!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2012, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
It is very similar and TBH I think it is a money making exercise.
That is a shame
I suppose if someone dosent have the 1st one and gets a puppy then picks up that book then its a good thing
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >