Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hanlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-07-2012, 09:39 PM

So slow on lead - anything I can do??

I read of so many experiences of people who have dogs that pull on the lead and there are so many products sold to help solve the problem of dogs pulling on lead.

*But* I have the opposite problem with Whisper! She literally d-r-a-g-s along on-lead at a ridiculously slow pace.

It isn't that she's tired or anything like that. She can be dragging along like an ancient dog and then we get to the park, I let her off-lead and she's bouncing along like a puppy and chasing her toy like a maniac!

It may sound silly but she won't go faster no matter what encouragement I offer etc. It's a bit of a pain when I'm wanting to get back and it just makes my walks with her a bit painful at times! I give her ample opportunity to sniff about etc but the ridiculously slow amble that she insists on when on-lead can be very frustrating!

She wears a harness that fits well and runs about with it on just fine so I don't think that is the problem.

Any ideas anyone??

Occasionally I read threads about people with dogs that pull and almost feel envious lol. It would certainly make a change! Whisper takes 'loose lead walking' to a new level........

I don't drive so it's more of an issue for me - John often takes her in the car to a park or something where she is off-lead most of the time. Where I walk through the streets to get to the park or to the countryside and like today where I really wanted to get back a bit sooner but ended up taking a good 15 minutes extra just because Whisper was walking so slow!
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2012, 09:41 PM
How old is she?

What breed?

Has she always been the same?
Hanlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-07-2012, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
How old is she?

What breed?

Has she always been the same?
Sorry I should have said - she's an 8 year old Rough Collie.

We've only had her since September but yes I'd say she's always been the same since we've had her. I've really started just ambling along at her pace as it's easier than attempting to 'drag her along' (which also looks dreadful if people are watching!) but sometimes it's very frustrating.

John isn't well at the moment so for example I wanted to take her for a longer walk this afternoon but it just doesn't feel 'fun' when she drags along as she does. Once on a field or in the park off-lead she full of bounce, but on-lead she just goes really slow.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2012, 09:55 PM
Has she had a vet check?

My lad (who was a collie) was so enthusiastic on lead until he was six when he really slowed down. He then developed a limp. He still ran when off lead and would chase his ball, but started to stiffen up after the limp appeared. Turned out he had very severe HD and arthritis.

Once the all clear has been given by the vets then it's trial and error.

With some using a flexi may help, but starting in a very, very safe area. Walk in front letting the lead out as she lags, it may encourage her to keep up.

With some, throwing treats out in front -initially every other step and then gradually reducing the amount - might get them going

With some, having a toy attached to a rope so it can go round your wrist or even attached to the lead may work to motivate to keep up

With some, keeping changing pace and direction can help

With some, a variety of all the above may be needed to get them going.

Collies aren't really known for sedate walking so my first port of call would be the vet for a thorough check up just to be sure before I tried anything at all to get her moving quickly.

Off lead, the 'adrenaline rush' tends to kick in so it isn't really a good indication of what might or might not be going on with her
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2012, 07:05 AM
Rough collies are funny dogs sometimes, I have knowna few and they are all very definite in their take on life.

I'd go with the vet check but I would imagine it is just the way she is and you will have to work to change it. Try really tasty food as rewards---but the ones I knew weren't food mad either---regardless of how hungry they should have been!

Good luck

rune
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2012, 07:09 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Rough collies are funny dogs sometimes, I have knowna few and they are all very definite in their take on life.

I'd go with the vet check but I would imagine it is just the way she is and you will have to work to change it. Try really tasty food as rewards---but the ones I knew weren't food mad either---regardless of how hungry they should have been!

Good luck

rune
I agree with the above, RC are deffo a breed apart, perhaps that is why we do not see very many of them as pets?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2012, 07:12 AM
Wonder if they were like that before they became popular after Lassie films---maybe over breeding then didn't help?

rune
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2012, 07:15 AM
I agree with the vet check, first sign of my previous GSD's hip dysplasia was a barely noticable 'trip' on her front paw occasionally so I'm always a bit more aware of changes in gait/walking styles.
What happens if you walk her on-lead around the park though? I'm just wondering if it's not the lead as such but the environment. Wary of cars/roads for example, and you're only noticing it when she's on-lead next to a road. When vans/lorries drive past, Casper is wary and tucks right into my side and goes very slow
jeagibear
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-07-2012, 07:41 AM
i agree with vet check. it could be hurting to walk, but the pain can be less, when they get in "motion". also we have one near us, Shadow. He runs and bouces around, off the lead but then almost freezes on it. to me, Shadow is very nervous, and being on the lead takes the Flee element away. he knows he can't escape, so he just keeps a low profile. so as not to attract any attention!! just a thought!!
good luck.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2012, 08:09 AM
I would also check her paw-pits - the harness may rub a little. Maybe try a flat collar instead and see if there`s any difference?
Shamus is the same - he moves very slowly on the lead. If I get really fed up and drop it, he actually speeds up. I think he just resents not being able to potter about at his own pace.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >