Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2012, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
Just a random question but how to you train the retrieve? Perhaps you need to make it significantly more rewarding for her to bring stuff to you rather than hide it?
She's getting quite good with bringing stuff back to us, we 'swap' it for something, usually food she just likes to hoard stuff by hiding it!

Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
She sounds fun

Are you training her to do any sort of "work" yet, by that I don't mean real gundog stuff but just working with you to find stuff and bring stuff to you, that sort of thing.

Working cockers are such busy little bees

I have a suggestion. If she is already digging in the house, try giving her a box and maybe put some treats or a favourite toy in side, in the bottom. Then add some scrunched up newspaper, old clothes or towels, blankets etc and encourage her to dig and search to find the articles.

When you go out, you may be able to leave her this and let her get on with it, obviously making sure all is safe, that she can't catch her collar and that sort of thing.Oh, and just be aware that very occasionally dogs can get a cut in the face from the paper, but this is very rare.

You can even add more boxes or do layers with the old clothes, blankets and newspaper

Hth
Wys
x
Yeah, we're doing some search stuff, we've done the find food and are now moving on to find a toy hidden in the house at the moment as it's been too wet to do it outside That toy gets put away for next training session but she'll happily bring it back to us all proud and tail going at a hundred miles an hour because she's found it We let her play with it for a bit before putting it away, I daren't leave it out as it'll disappear into the garden with the others

I'll try the box thing, sounds like fun

Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
oh Mia does the trying to bury everything - the best toys are taken and buried in the muckiest bit of the river

and she is so particular to find the right place that she will often dig something up again, give you a 'look' then slink off with it in her mouth looking for another place

The worst one was a slimy 1/2 rawhide when I was in bed she tried to bury it in my armpit

The other morning she grabbed a bone Ben had just given up on and hid it in a plantpot (killing the courgette in the process) then came in, ran into her crate and got an identical bone and put it down in the spot she had stolen Bens from - like she was givin him hers

Odd little dog!
Sounds just like Lily She can dig all she wants in the garden but the carpets are just a no go area
If I walk around the garden and happen to go anywhere near her hidey spot she gives me that look, waits for me to go and digs it up and hides it elsewhere TBF I very rarely see her buried treasure she hides them so well
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2