Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2012, 05:17 PM

Digging!!

Hmmmm Lily's (7 month old working cocker) digging and buring things is getting a bit out of hand now

She's started digging up the carpets in corners etc to 'bury' stuff - usually treats or something she's nicked and doesn't want anyone else to know

She's like lightning too, she can't half move when she's up to something!!!

She's back in her crate overnight now to stop her as she lifted the corner of the carpet about 3 foot out! and shredded loads of underlay!!! She's also in if we go out but it doesn't matter really as she still tries to do it when we're in

I tell her 'NO' and she stops for a bit then goes looking for somewhere else.

Any ideas how to stop it???
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-07-2012, 05:42 PM
2of mine did this as well,redirect,digging is good for the.m and natural.for me,. i buried some of the things they liked in the back yard,my sent was on the items,and they activly put there nosr to the ground to find them.mine are trained in tracking and seeking,its how they started.maybe put a barriour where the dog is lifting the carpet and give an alternative,make it fun and one thing else iv noticed is.a treat after a meal,they may not want it right away,there full and would like it later,hence buring it.one of my dogs will nose his treat into a corner, his nose would get carpet burn!
Seacrow
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-07-2012, 09:48 PM
Willow did this as well. Part of it was she just liked shredding the underlay, it tastes good or feels good, an absolutely A1 chewy toy. At least it was until we put pepper on it , the first chomp after the pepper was followed by a rush to the water bowl and many reproachful looks. We did try bitter apple, but that was more of an appetizer than a deterrent.

I ended up using one of those automatic air freshener sprays, not on the dog (before I get shouted at), but using the noise to alert me that she was in the corner and call her away. It took a couple of weeks, but now the noise of the spray means 'go to the nearest human for a bit of fuss'. I still won't leave her alone in a room with carpet though.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2012, 10:23 PM
Jet loves to dig. Very oddly he will not ever do it of his own accord, but will sit to attention staring at me until I flick my hand then he pounces on the spot and digs for china. I have no idea how that came about

In the house he disturbs me greatly by sticking his tongue to the floor and dragging it about leaving a lovely trail of saliva

As my good friend says "mad cockers!!!!!"

To stop it, maybe u could put it on command? Train her to do it specifically outside? Dunno, sorry I'm not much help
GirondeDeb
Dogsey Senior
Male 

11-07-2012, 06:52 AM
I agree with 3dognight...the best way is to redirect it to somewhere harmless, where she thinks you want her to dig, so that it becomes a positive thing. I don't understand why, but once you get them thinking they are digging FOR you, it is much easier to get them to NOT dig where you don't want them to. It's the same psychology as controlling barking by teaching them to bark on command.

Bit tricky to create a digging pit inside, but maybe a piece of old carpet that can become her place to bury things?
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2012, 07:06 AM
I have heard of working cockers burying the items they are retrieving so maybe a step on from there? Never seen it myself though.

Helen
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2012, 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
I have heard of working cockers burying the items they are retrieving so maybe a step on from there? Never seen it myself though.

Helen
She does this If she finds something she decides for whatever reason is non-edible she'll bury it She got a baby rabbit and buried it in the woods

I'm quite happy for her to dig in the garden, there's not much spoiling out there especially with all the rain

I've never known a dog like it She buries/hides her toys outside then when she's had enough of it she'll take it back outside, re-hide it and dig up another one to play with If she catches you watching her she'll dig it up and move it elsewhere Keeps her occupied for ages

If we get any rain free days I'll start working on the 'go dig' command and see if that helps.

Thank you all for your replies
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2012, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by Baileys Blind View Post
She does this If she finds something she decides for whatever reason is non-edible she'll bury it She got a baby rabbit and buried it in the woods

I'm quite happy for her to dig in the garden, there's not much spoiling out there especially with all the rain

I've never known a dog like it She buries/hides her toys outside then when she's had enough of it she'll take it back outside, re-hide it and dig up another one to play with If she catches you watching her she'll dig it up and move it elsewhere Keeps her occupied for ages

If we get any rain free days I'll start working on the 'go dig' command and see if that helps.

Thank you all for your replies
Just a random question but how to you train the retrieve? Perhaps you need to make it significantly more rewarding for her to bring stuff to you rather than hide it?
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2012, 03:47 PM
She sounds fun

Are you training her to do any sort of "work" yet, by that I don't mean real gundog stuff but just working with you to find stuff and bring stuff to you, that sort of thing.

Working cockers are such busy little bees

I have a suggestion. If she is already digging in the house, try giving her a box and maybe put some treats or a favourite toy in side, in the bottom. Then add some scrunched up newspaper, old clothes or towels, blankets etc and encourage her to dig and search to find the articles.

When you go out, you may be able to leave her this and let her get on with it, obviously making sure all is safe, that she can't catch her collar and that sort of thing.Oh, and just be aware that very occasionally dogs can get a cut in the face from the paper, but this is very rare.

You can even add more boxes or do layers with the old clothes, blankets and newspaper

Hth
Wys
x
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2012, 04:02 PM
oh Mia does the trying to bury everything - the best toys are taken and buried in the muckiest bit of the river

and she is so particular to find the right place that she will often dig something up again, give you a 'look' then slink off with it in her mouth looking for another place

The worst one was a slimy 1/2 rawhide when I was in bed she tried to bury it in my armpit

The other morning she grabbed a bone Ben had just given up on and hid it in a plantpot (killing the courgette in the process) then came in, ran into her crate and got an identical bone and put it down in the spot she had stolen Bens from - like she was givin him hers

Odd little dog!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >