View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JulieSS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-06-2012, 11:24 AM

Puppy class recommendation in south London?

We are picking up our puppy early July and we ofc want to go to a puppy class. So I was just wondering if anyone has got a recommendation towards a course or a class in south London? We live in Thamesmead but we can easily drive to Bexleyheath, Dartford etc.

I'm looking for a positive course where we learn basic things such as walking on the lead, recall, sit etc.
I've attended obeidience classes with my previous dogs but we need to learn to know the new puppy and also my boyfriend has never had a dog, so it's a new world for him And ofc..good socialization.
I think round one we will not aim for a clickertraining course, purely because I think it will be a bit much for my boyfriend However, I like clicker training so I will gradually introduce it to both of them .

If this thread is posted in the wrong category, then please feel free to move it.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2012, 11:33 AM
http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/2593

Have you looked here?
JulieSS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-06-2012, 11:46 AM
No I haven't, thanks for the list I'll have a look at it.
I'm from Norway so I don't know where to look for everything (as I would in Norway!).
However peoples experience of an instructor or a company is always handy. Most people promise lots of stuff on their websites but then it's different when you go there. My plan is to ask if I could come and observe one evening before I book on, I don't know if that's normal over here but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2012, 01:15 PM
You could try the APDT's list too - http://www.apdt.co.uk
A decent trainer should be more than happy for you to observe a session before handing any money over
JulieSS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-07-2012, 11:41 AM
I've emailed about 6 different ones in our area and no one has responded back. Not good.
Tried to google walking groups etc. but it just comes up with loads of dog walkers, which is not what I need, or groups for miniature breeds.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2012, 03:00 PM
If you check out the APDT and see Vera Marney, she is good, not sure if she's in the right area for you but I believe she is somewhere around that area.

You could also try www.puppyschool.co.uk

and here's some info on what to look for in a good puppy class:

http://www.apdt.co.uk/choosing_dog_trainer_uk.asp

Hth
Wys
x
JulieSS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-07-2012, 03:19 PM
I've tried puppyschool.co.uk but they haven't replied (yet).
Did however get a reply from the one that is closest to us, which is good.
Maybe it helped posting in the thread