Female 

12-06-2012, 10:35 PM
What a day but for the best I think as he will see Cain at his worst hopefully

Cant wait to hear how it all goes
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 06:47 AM
Isnt it amazing how some days are just like that, soooo much to do. Hope it all goes well
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 11:46 AM
Hope the assessment goes well and all that waiting will be worth it. Glad Roger is taking it seriously and you got a refund too
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 02:30 PM
You're probably tied up at the mo but let us know how it went!
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 02:40 PM
Drum roll...
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 04:21 PM
Hope it all went well

Wys
x
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 06:08 PM
Just caught up, hope everything went well
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 06:12 PM
Hmmm, not convinced Feeling a bit mixed up, a bit guilty and not sure where to go from here...

Roger appears to be a very nice man who obviously cares for dogs a lot...but I really don't know if his approach is for Cain.

It started when we first tried to introduce them. Cain took one look at Roger and went bananas barking I've never seen him react like that to someone over the babygate inside the house. Roger told him to sit, which he did, and three him some treats. Problem was that he started moving closer to Cain, telling him to sit in a very firm voice and stared at him. Cain went ballistic again I honestly have never ever seem Cain react so badly to a person. I felt gutted as I'd always tried to make visitors a positive and Cain had never had a bad experience with a person in the house (expect one slight reaction to my brother once), suddenly Cain is kicking off big time.

We left him behind the babygate and had a chat. I then was told to muzzle him, put him on lead and bring him in. Cain was calm at first but then Roger caught him eye again for a few seconds too long and Cain kicked off big time He also lunged repeatedly, which is MOST unusual, if he reacts normal it's just one "get away from me" lunge then he stops. He did calm down a bit and was letting Roger touch him etc,

Roger took his lead and took him into the garden. Cain was allowing him to stroke him, Roger then decided to test my theory that it was eye contact that was causing Cain to react, so he stared and Cain went nuts again We went outside and when Roger passed me a poo bag, Cain went mad again and if he hadn't been muzzled, I think he would have bitten Roger I haven't ever seen Cain like this, it's the first time I think he's really attacked with intent.

Then he wanted to take him out so we walked to the little local park. Sunny day, after school so heaving with dogs and kids. Roger didn't avoid anything and let Cain greet all the dogs who approached. He was also letting the owners touch Cain. I jumped in to stop children touching him, however a couple were not listening and managed to get a pat in before I physically removed them normally I avoid kids like the plague, but we ended up surrounded by a family. To Cain's credit he didn't react to any person and was very good with the dogs. At one point he got totally surrounded and Rogwr said how well he did but I said he looked really uncomfortable. Then we went home.

Roger forgot his cheque book so I didn't get my refund yet. He wants me to visit the centre to do some training with strangers. He said there may be some fear there but he thinks Cain is dominant.....

I don't know how I feel I'm really unhappy that Cain felt so uncomfortable to react on numerous occasions when I've worked so hard to make sure that he never goes over threshold. In the other hand he DID do very well in the park and I wonder if I need to stop avoiding and start confronting and give him a chance to prove he can be ok. However I have concerns that Cain was behaving simply because he was over threshold and overwhelmed so he just shut down a bit.

Feeling really bad now that Cain got so stressed and I'm worried it might set us back. I am tempted to try again at the centre though as Roger said he would ask the people not to stare, and it's not often I can try to train Cain in a controlled environment with savvy willing strangers.

I don't know how I feel. Roger was nice but his methods appear a bit too confrontational for Cain. On the plus side he carried the pet corrector and I don't think he had to use it...
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 06:26 PM
How Andy (trainer I went to) worked with Daisy was totally different.
He backed towards her. When she kicked off he stood absolutely still, not reacting, not looking.
When she shut up he walked away.
In other words, she was learning that the usual method (aggression) did not drive the `threat` away.
She learned that when she was quiet the threat went away.
Because she was thinking, not reacting, she began to see the stooge as `not a threat`.
It was all about the dog learning. Not about fitting a theory to her behaviour.
We then added the Watch Me and Sit.
And it worked.

I`m not saying your dog would learn like that - just saying that there`s more than one way to do it.
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 06:46 PM
Sounds a bit confrontational but maybe he did that on purpose to see where Cain was coming from?

Cain seems fine with people when they don't force themselves upon him. Why do you need to train Cain to accept having strangers forced upon him?

Like I have said before I just feel you need to up the obedience and ensure Cain understands and complies. eg recall, leave it, heel etc

I suppose you may get the opportunity to train at the centre with people as distractions. You can always try it and leave if you think its not helpful.
Page 6 of 12 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »