View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-12-2011, 08:31 AM
Unfortunatly he has been less than pleasant to deal with. Im not a happy bunny at all.
Corinthian
Dogsey Junior
Male 

07-12-2011, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
where did you get this bit?

his website has a big article anti dominance theory and makes big store of talking about tapping into the dog's emotions.
seems very good actually
Let me quote some of the bits that I found questionable

Depending on your dog's personality (not breed) will govern whether he/she will literally take over the household or become nervous and insecure.
This looks to me like the usual warning made by dominance trainers.

Your dog needs a strong and fair leader who is calm, confident and decisive with self-assured body language because dogs communicate through body language.
The whole strong leader, calm, body language strikes me as someone trying to hit all the talking points used by aversive/dominance trainers

At the very least, the message is inconsistent. I had not read the blog post which is as you write, a positive message focusing on reinforcement. This makes the front page even more confusing.
obbie
Dogsey Junior
Male 

07-12-2011, 07:08 PM
Maybe he mixes the two ideas together somehow?
Possibly he wrote his front page when dominance theory was all the rage, but has since modified his teaching when the latest research has come out.

He has testimonial from the GSDR so must be decent.
But if others have had a bad experience then that speaks for its self.

Originally Posted by Pawsonboard View Post
Unfortunately he has been less than pleasant to deal with. I’m not a happy bunny at all.
Was his customer service not good, or was there a problem with the way he interacted with your dog?
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2011, 07:18 PM
I like some of what he says, but does he actually go out on walks/park visits or does he just visit the house?

He's not expensive, compared to other trainers I have encountered.

EDITED TO ADD:

His blog is good and he states that he does not agree with the 'alpha roll'.

He looks all right, actually... He works with German Shepherd Rescue UK, which is good.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-12-2011, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by Corinthian View Post
Let me quote some of the bits that I found questionable

This looks to me like the usual warning made by dominance trainers.

The whole strong leader, calm, body language strikes me as someone trying to hit all the talking points used by aversive/dominance trainers

At the very least, the message is inconsistent. I had not read the blog post which is as you write, a positive message focusing on reinforcement. This makes the front page even more confusing.
indeed some borderline stuff, i guess you could take those phrases to mean a certain thing if you took them as standalone out of context of the whole site.
but the blog article was specifically bashing dominance theory and their is another article bashing cesar milan.

i dont have any experience of the chap, just thought it fair to be fair, is all
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2011, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by Pawsonboard View Post
Unfortunatly he has been less than pleasant to deal with. Im not a happy bunny at all.

Are you able to be a bit more specific?

Any info very welcome - please feel free to PM me if you'd rather, many thanks
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-12-2011, 08:35 AM
Oops, forgot to reply last night. Tabitha I Pm'd you. if anyone else would like more info then feel free to pm. Its not something I would like to discuss on an open forum!
K999
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-12-2011, 04:00 PM
that's very fair of you 'Pawsonboard', it's nice to see that sort of thing on a forum.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-12-2011, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by K999 View Post
that's very fair of you 'Pawsonboard', it's nice to see that sort of thing on a forum.
hello K999

i just read your website

did you know your 'techniques' page has quite a few spelling and grammar mistakes?

dont worry im not a grammar nazi (ie this post is wrong) but i noticed the rest of the site was spot on, so figured that page must have missed its proof read somehow, and i guess when it comes to 'business matters', we all care about such things in a way we might not give a toss on dog forums, for example
K999
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-12-2011, 08:15 PM
Cheers, I managed to choose a website provider who doesn’t allow copy and pasting from my word documents or have a spell check, so typos and that did slip through.
Thanks for the pointer!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2